1930s Mystic Travelers Series - What Twitchell was reading?

  • jonathanjohns96
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2008
      I did an Internet search for "karakota gobi desert" and I immediately
      found and interesting book at "Adventures Unlimited Press" As soon as
      I saw this website and the books in the "Mystic Travelers Series" my
      first thought was "This looks like the books that Paul Twitchell was
      reading."

      Website for Adventures Unlimited Press:
      http://www.adventuresunlimitedpress.com/proddetail.php?prod=MGM
      (Information listed below in quotes is from the website)

      ISBN: 0-932813-15-1
      Men and Gods In Mongolia
      "First published in 1935 by Kegan Paul of London, Haslund takes us to
      the lost city of Karakota in the Gobi desert."
      "There is even material in this incredible book on the Hi-mori, an
      airhorse that flies through the sky (similar to a Vimana)..."
      Possible relationship to Eckankar: In Eckankar's literature "the city
      of Karakota in the Gobi Desert" has been mentioned more than once.
      In Eckankar's literature, Shamus E. Tabris rode a winged horse called
      a Pegasus. [Paul's "novel," The Three Masks Of Gaba]

      ISBN: 0-932813-13-5
      In Secret Tibet
      "Reprint of a rare 30s adventure travel book."
      Possible relationship to Eckankar: Nothing obvious in the short
      description given, but it is a 1930s book about Tibet. Possible
      connections to Rebazar Tarz.

      ISBN: 0-932813-14-3
      Darkness Over Tibet
      "In this second reprint of Illion's rare books, the German traveller
      continues his journey through Tibet and is given directions to a
      strange underground city. As the original publishers remarks
      said, "this is a rare account of an underground city in Tibet by the
      only Westerner ever to enter it and escape alive! "
      Possible relationship to Eckankar: Sounds like the source for
      Twitchell's fabrication of Rebazar Tarz living in a sectret place in
      Tibet.

      From what I can see in these books of the "Mystic Travelers Series,"
      they are something that Paul Twitchell would have been reading in the
      1930s when he was his twenties. Also, notice the similarity between
      the phrase "Mystic Travelers" and the phrase Paul Twitchell used all
      the time in the writings of Eckankar "Spiritual Travelers."

      There are two books which were the main source for a lot of
      Twitchell's plagiarism for the religious concepts of Eckankar. They
      are listed at David Lane's website: THE PATH OF THE MASTERS (1939)
      and WITH A GREAT MASTER IN INDIA (1934), both by Julian Johnson.
      David Lane is the one who researched this.

      David Lane's website:
      http://elearn.mtsac.edu/philosophy/center.htm

      Notice that the Mystic Travelers Series books were published in the
      1930s as are Julian Johnson's.

      One more thought. What was Twitchell reading while he was in India?

      Twitchell evidently spent at least several years staying in Kirpal
      Sing's ashram in India. I guarantee that he had a lot of free time on
      his hands, and perhaps was allowed to read books of his choosing.
      There are many people in India who can speak and write English, even
      better than Americans. I suspect that there must be a lot of dime
      store novels in India written in English by Indian authors. I
      wouldn't be surprised if something turns up where one of Twitchell's
      novels is linked to an Indian novel. Not accusing Twitch. I just
      wouldn't be surprised.

      Why is Tibet considered to be such a spiritual place?

      Tibet has always been known as a very spiritual place in the minds of
      Americans. It is possible that this idea started out with these two
      books about Tibet in the Mystic Travelers Series or similar ones in
      the 1930s time period or even earlier.
    • jonathanjohns96
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2008
        I just tested out the link. It discovered that it goes to the first
        book that I discussed. To go to the page showing all of the books in
        the Series, click on "Mystic Travelers Series" on the left column.

        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, jonathanjohns96 <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

        > I did an Internet search for "karakota gobi desert" and I
        immediately
        > found and interesting book at "Adventures Unlimited Press" As soon
        as
        > I saw this website and the books in the "Mystic Travelers Series"
        my
        > first thought was "This looks like the books that Paul Twitchell
        was
        > reading."
        >
        > Website for Adventures Unlimited Press:
        > http://www.adventuresunlimitedpress.com/proddetail.php?prod=MGM
        > (Information listed below in quotes is from the website)
        >

        > ISBN: 0-932813-15-1
        > Men and Gods In Mongolia
        > "First published in 1935 by Kegan Paul of London, Haslund takes us
        > the lost city of Karakota in the Gobi desert."
        > "There is even material in this incredible book on the Hi-mori, an
        > airhorse that flies through the sky (similar to a Vimana)..."
        > Possible relationship to Eckankar: In Eckankar's literature "the
        city
        > of Karakota in the Gobi Desert" has been mentioned more than once.
        > In Eckankar's literature, Shamus E. Tabris rode a winged horse
        called
        > a Pegasus. [Paul's "novel," The Three Masks Of Gaba]
        >

        > ISBN: 0-932813-13-5
        > In Secret Tibet
        > "Reprint of a rare 30s adventure travel book."
        > Possible relationship to Eckankar: Nothing obvious in the short
        > description given, but it is a 1930s book about Tibet. Possible
        > connections to Rebazar Tarz.
        >

        > ISBN: 0-932813-14-3
        > Darkness Over Tibet
        > "In this second reprint of Illion's rare books, the German
        traveller
        > continues his journey through Tibet and is given directions to a
        > strange underground city. As the original publishers remarks
        > said, "this is a rare account of an underground city in Tibet by
        the
        > only Westerner ever to enter it and escape alive! "
        > Possible relationship to Eckankar: Sounds like the source for
        > Twitchell's fabrication of Rebazar Tarz living in a sectret place
        in
        > Tibet.
        >

        > From what I can see in these books of the "Mystic Travelers
        Series,"