Re: numbers

  • jonathanjohns96
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 18, 2008
      I quit Eckankar yesterday, so my information is up-to-date, but not
      necessarily the hard facts that you may be looking for.

      I wasn't very in tune with the running the local Eckankar
      organization, but, I don't know of a single new member in the local
      Eck center where I attended in the past 20 years. I heard about one
      person, but never actuall saw them in person at the Eck center. The
      local Eckists are all 20+ years members. They actually joke about the
      fact that they are all a bunch of senior citizens who have all been
      in Eck for 20 to 30 years, but "Where are all the new people?" they
      exclaim. I know of only one new person showing up at a Worship
      Sevice: they didn't join.

      Regarding Eck cnters in general, I have heard rumors that some Eck
      centers across the United States are closing due to lack of interest.
      It appears that very very Eckists are really interest in attending
      functions at the Eck center. But the local director has told me that
      there are a very large number of Eckists in the area who study
      Eckankar on their own, they just never come to the Eck center.

      However, if you attend a major seminar, on the surface of things, it
      seems to be a different story. There are a very large number of
      people attending. Eckankar has to book it at a very large hotel. But
      the major seminars attract people from all over the United States
      and, indeed, all over the world. And I believe that it includes a lot
      of stay-at-home Eckists who never go to a local Eck center.

      Also, a lot of Eckists live in the middle of nowhere. They are more
      likely to spend a lot of money for a one time attendance of a major
      seminar than drive 60 miles for a one time visit to an Eck center.

      It's really hard to say what the real numbers are as far as the total
      big picture of Eckankar, but the talk among Eckists on the local
      level sounds more negative than positive.

      Jonathan Johns

      --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "whitemoby22" <whitemoby22@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm going to do a little reading about this Elan Vital. I've
      come
      > across that name several times lately. - Once a person has made a
      > living, a fine living, from the religious thing, I guess it's hard
      > Jim Bakker, for god's sake. They're stil at it. At least Swaggart
      > and Bakker kept their names. These scum gurus generally change the
      > name of their group, then go right on trucking.
      >
      > I have a good friend who has fallen under the sway of ISA. I
      didn't
      > figure the thing out until Sharon mentioned that it sounded like a
      > LGAT (large group awareness training). Sure enough. That's just
      > what it is. Just one of the many limbs of that movement.
      >
      > Jesus Christ. Even Mary Kay is a cult. They're frigging
      everywhere.

      > moby...
      > >
      > > There will always be diehard fans. My friend's husband is still a
      > > follower of the Guru Maharaji.I don't know if you remember the
      > > little Indian Boy who could touch your "third eye" and instantly
      > > enlighten you (mid 70's), but his org fell apart when several
      > > thousand disgruntled "preemies" gave their life savings to him
      only
      > > to get kicked out of the ashrams for lack of funds.
      > > The little Indian boy grew up and now has the unmitigated gall to
      > > actually try to reform his religion into someting called Elan
      Vital.
      > > One time around 1987 I called a guy who was an Eckist with his
      wife
      > > in the Edison branch of Eckankar. She passed away and I had an
      > > interesting conversation with him about the eck. I asked him if
      > they
      > > comforted him in any way or expressed any condolences or even if
      he
      > > was still following the teachings. He said nobody offered
      anything
      > > to him! No condolences, no sympathy, no recognition. He got
      pissed
      > > and just left. He then told me he never believed the crap anyway.
      > > His wife dragged him to the Satsangs when he wanted to be home
      > doing
      > > something useful like`watching a football game.
      > >
      > > Alf
      > >

      > > --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "whitemoby22"
      > > <whitemoby22@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Well, Alf, it would be difficult for me to say anything about
      > > recent
      > > > numbers being that, as I said, I've lost all contact with the
      eck
      > > > thing.

      > > any
      > > > rate, eckankar was thriving. New people coming in all the
      time.
      > > Big
      > > > ole congregation.
      > > >
      > > > But that was another era, Alf. Eckankar was riding that 60s
      > > wave.
      > > > And, as you say, there was no internet.
      > > >
      > > > The culture has moved on. My sense is that eckankar is some
      > wierd
      > > > dinosaur that became extinct when the climate changed.
      > > >
      > > > Anyways, I'm wondering how many are hanging on. And if they
      are
      > > > managing to bring in any new members at all. I can't imagine
      it.

      > > > If I went down to the center, bet there'd be the same ole post
      > > hippie
      > > > crowd from 1973.
      > > >
      > > > moby...

      > > > some
      > > > early
      > of
      > Little
      > and
      > > total
      > just

      > > > gets
      > > Minnesota!

      > > event,
      Around
      > > the
      > seemed

      > > still

    • whitemoby22
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 26, 2009
        hey jonathan. since my last post i've attended some worship services
        in 3 eck communities. i wanted to say hey to some old friends, and i
        have been curious about their growth/decline.

        what i saw was precisely what you are describing. the same 20-30
        year members, carrying on as usual. maybe a few passer-throughs, and
        that's it.

        if every eck community around the world, each consisting of 10 - 20
        members, goes to a convention - well, that would add up to a nice
        sized group. but it certainly isn't the thousands and thousands of
        followers eckankar claims to have.

        later, moby (thanks for the response, jonathan)