numbers

  • whitemoby22
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2008
      It's been ten years since I attended any kind of eckankar event, and 5
      since I stopped contact with friends from that group. Around the time
      I left membership had fallen off drastically. Eckankar seemed passe,
      and people just weren't buying it anymore (thank goodness).

      Does anyone know how their numbers are looking? Are they still
      attracting membership?

      Just curious, moby...
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2008
        I was hoping YOU could tell us! Can any seasoned Ex-Eckies shed some
        light on the past seminars? How was the attendance back in the early
        Darwin and Harry Days as oppposed to over the past few years?
        I have a feeling that with the Internet being such a plethora of
        knowledge, that anyone can see the folly of Paul Twitch's Little
        Light and Sound Club what with David Lane's scathing expose' and
        several other resources that basically debunk "Schmeck" as a total
        fraud.
        Lies, plagiarism, deceit......How many times have we all gone
        through this? Maybe we don't have to anymore. Maybe there's just a
        handful left and it's like talking to the birds these days.

        I hope Harji invested heavily into AIG and Lehmann Brothers and gets
        a little "korporate karma" coming back at him.
        They'd better start watching the bridges and airports in Minnesota!
        "APB out for naked man who calls himself a "mahunka".

        Alf

        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "whitemoby22"
        <whitemoby22@...> wrote:

        > It's been ten years since I attended any kind of eckankar event,
        and 5
        > since I stopped contact with friends from that group. Around the
        time
        > I left membership had fallen off drastically. Eckankar seemed
        passe,
        > and people just weren't buying it anymore (thank goodness).
        >
        > Does anyone know how their numbers are looking? Are they still
        > attracting membership?
        >
        > Just curious, moby...

      • whitemoby22
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2008
          Well, Alf, it would be difficult for me to say anything about recent
          numbers being that, as I said, I've lost all contact with the eck
          thing.

          rate, eckankar was thriving. New people coming in all the time. Big
          ole congregation.

          But that was another era, Alf. Eckankar was riding that 60s wave.
          And, as you say, there was no internet.

          The culture has moved on. My sense is that eckankar is some wierd
          dinosaur that became extinct when the climate changed.

          Anyways, I'm wondering how many are hanging on. And if they are
          managing to bring in any new members at all. I can't imagine it.

          If I went down to the center, bet there'd be the same ole post hippie
          crowd from 1973.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
            There will always be diehard fans. My friend's husband is still a
            follower of the Guru Maharaji.I don't know if you remember the
            little Indian Boy who could touch your "third eye" and instantly
            enlighten you (mid 70's), but his org fell apart when several
            thousand disgruntled "preemies" gave their life savings to him only
            to get kicked out of the ashrams for lack of funds.
            The little Indian boy grew up and now has the unmitigated gall to
            actually try to reform his religion into someting called Elan Vital.
            One time around 1987 I called a guy who was an Eckist with his wife
            in the Edison branch of Eckankar. She passed away and I had an
            interesting conversation with him about the eck. I asked him if they
            comforted him in any way or expressed any condolences or even if he
            was still following the teachings. He said nobody offered anything
            to him! No condolences, no sympathy, no recognition. He got pissed
            and just left. He then told me he never believed the crap anyway.
            His wife dragged him to the Satsangs when he wanted to be home doing
            something useful like`watching a football game.

            <whitemoby22@...> wrote:

            > Well, Alf, it would be difficult for me to say anything about
            recent
            > numbers being that, as I said, I've lost all contact with the eck
            > thing.

            any
            > rate, eckankar was thriving. New people coming in all the time.
            Big
            > ole congregation.
            >
            > But that was another era, Alf. Eckankar was riding that 60s
            wave.
            > And, as you say, there was no internet.
            >
            > The culture has moved on. My sense is that eckankar is some wierd
            > dinosaur that became extinct when the climate changed.
            >
            > Anyways, I'm wondering how many are hanging on. And if they are
            > managing to bring in any new members at all. I can't imagine it.
            >
            > If I went down to the center, bet there'd be the same ole post
            hippie
            > crowd from 1973.
            >
            > moby...
            >

            > > I was hoping YOU could tell us! Can any seasoned Ex-Eckies shed
            > some
            > > light on the past seminars? How was the attendance back in the
            > early
            > > Darwin and Harry Days as oppposed to over the past few years?
            > > I have a feeling that with the Internet being such a plethora of
            > > knowledge, that anyone can see the folly of Paul Twitch's Little
            > > Light and Sound Club what with David Lane's scathing expose' and
            > > several other resources that basically debunk "Schmeck" as a
            total
            > > fraud.
            > > Lies, plagiarism, deceit......How many times have we all gone
            > > through this? Maybe we don't have to anymore. Maybe there's just
            > > handful left and it's like talking to the birds these days.
            > >
            > > I hope Harji invested heavily into AIG and Lehmann Brothers and
            > gets
            > > a little "korporate karma" coming back at him.
            > > They'd better start watching the bridges and airports in
            Minnesota!
            > > "APB out for naked man who calls himself a "mahunka".
            > >
            > > Alf
            > >

            > > --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "whitemoby22"
            > > <whitemoby22@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > It's been ten years since I attended any kind of eckankar
            event,
            > > and 5
            > > > since I stopped contact with friends from that group. Around
            the
            > > time
            > > > I left membership had fallen off drastically. Eckankar seemed
            > > passe,
            > > > and people just weren't buying it anymore (thank goodness).
            > > >
            > > > Does anyone know how their numbers are looking? Are they
            still
            > > > attracting membership?
            > > >
            > > > Just curious, moby...

          • whitemoby22
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
              I'm going to do a little reading about this Elan Vital. I've come
              across that name several times lately. - Once a person has made a
              living, a fine living, from the religious thing, I guess it's hard to
              Jim Bakker, for god's sake. They're stil at it. At least Swaggart
              and Bakker kept their names. These scum gurus generally change the
              name of their group, then go right on trucking.

              I have a good friend who has fallen under the sway of ISA. I didn't
              figure the thing out until Sharon mentioned that it sounded like a
              LGAT (large group awareness training). Sure enough. That's just
              what it is. Just one of the many limbs of that movement.

              Jesus Christ. Even Mary Kay is a cult. They're frigging everywhere.

            • jonathanjohns96
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 18, 2008
                I quit Eckankar yesterday, so my information is up-to-date, but not
                necessarily the hard facts that you may be looking for.

                I wasn't very in tune with the running the local Eckankar
                organization, but, I don't know of a single new member in the local
                Eck center where I attended in the past 20 years. I heard about one
                person, but never actuall saw them in person at the Eck center. The
                local Eckists are all 20+ years members. They actually joke about the
                fact that they are all a bunch of senior citizens who have all been
                in Eck for 20 to 30 years, but "Where are all the new people?" they
                exclaim. I know of only one new person showing up at a Worship
                Sevice: they didn't join.

                Regarding Eck cnters in general, I have heard rumors that some Eck
                centers across the United States are closing due to lack of interest.
                It appears that very very Eckists are really interest in attending
                functions at the Eck center. But the local director has told me that
                there are a very large number of Eckists in the area who study
                Eckankar on their own, they just never come to the Eck center.

                However, if you attend a major seminar, on the surface of things, it
                seems to be a different story. There are a very large number of
                people attending. Eckankar has to book it at a very large hotel. But
                the major seminars attract people from all over the United States
                and, indeed, all over the world. And I believe that it includes a lot
                of stay-at-home Eckists who never go to a local Eck center.

                Also, a lot of Eckists live in the middle of nowhere. They are more
                likely to spend a lot of money for a one time attendance of a major
                seminar than drive 60 miles for a one time visit to an Eck center.

                It's really hard to say what the real numbers are as far as the total
                big picture of Eckankar, but the talk among Eckists on the local
                level sounds more negative than positive.

                Jonathan Johns

                wrote:

> [...]
                eck
                > > > thing.

                > > any
                > > > rate, eckankar was thriving. New people coming in all the
                time.
                > > Big
                > > > ole congregation.
                > > >
                > > > But that was another era, Alf. Eckankar was riding that 60s
                > > wave.
                > > > And, as you say, there was no internet.
                > > >
                > > > The culture has moved on. My sense is that eckankar is some
                > wierd
                > > > dinosaur that became extinct when the climate changed.
                > > >
                > > > Anyways, I'm wondering how many are hanging on. And if they
                are
                > > > managing to bring in any new members at all. I can't imagine
                it.

                > > > If I went down to the center, bet there'd be the same ole post

              • whitemoby22
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 26, 2009
                  hey jonathan. since my last post i've attended some worship services
                  in 3 eck communities. i wanted to say hey to some old friends, and i
                  have been curious about their growth/decline.

                  what i saw was precisely what you are describing. the same 20-30
                  year members, carrying on as usual. maybe a few passer-throughs, and
                  that's it.

                  if every eck community around the world, each consisting of 10 - 20
                  members, goes to a convention - well, that would add up to a nice
                  sized group. but it certainly isn't the thousands and thousands of
                  followers eckankar claims to have.

                  later, moby (thanks for the response, jonathan)