A Former "7th Initiate's" Journey!

  • Colleen Russell
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2008
      I haven't been posting very much here as I'm involved in life outside
      of Eckankar, I'm glad to report. But I wanted to give you an update
      of my recent and upcoming activities. This group was very helpful to
      me when I was putting together the pieces of the puzzle regarding my
      Eckankar experience. I am indebted to the support of many of you on
      this site.

      This past June, I gave my first presentation on "Disconfirming
      Inaccurate, Self-Limiting Beliefs Internalized Through Thought Reform
      with Corrective Emotional Experiences" at the International Cultic
      Studies Association Conference at the University of Pennsylvania.
      Everyone told me that once I presented, it would be a breeze
      afterward, and I'm now perceiving that they knew what they were
      talking about. It took a lot to get up the nerve to present, but I'm
      very happy I did and now I'm ready for more. In my presentation, I
      discussed how I disconfirmed inaccurate, self-limiting, self-
      sabotaging (pathogenic) beliefs internalized in Eckankar through my
      experience in an intensive 2-year acting school called "The Loft",in
      Los Angeles, just a few block away from the first Eckankar Center I
      helped establish in the '70's. My teacher was the highly respected,
      late Peggy Feury. In retrospect, I realize I had a largely
      unconscious plan to leave Eckankar by first becoming "inactive" and
      getting involved with another "transitional" group -- the acting
      school -- where I was encouraged to analyze the playwrite's intent,
      do character study, connect with my past experience, feelings,and
      thoughts associated with it, work in the present with awareness of my
      senses, be supported and identify with highly-motivated, bright,
      creative people pursuing their goals in acting...all of whom were
      doing well without the "Living Eck Master" to guide and protect them!

      I have written an article that elaborates on this in the upcoming
      Cultic Studies Journal with the ICSA. I directly relate to my
      experience in Eckankar and how it affected my life, and how I
      eventually psychologically and physically left. I hope you'll be
      looking out for this.

      It's been a very gratifying experience for me to work with former
      members of "political", "spiritual", "religious", "large group
      awareness training", "psychology", "philosophy", "one on one"
      and "family" cults. Besides individual work, I facilitate a Cult
      Recovery Support Group every other Saturday in Mill Valley, about 10
      miles North of San Francisco. We currently have a few openings in
      the group if you or anyone you know is interested.

      Best to all of you in your recovery and pursuit of normal, healthy
      goals!

      Colleen
    • eckmahdis
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2008
        Hello Colleen,

        I hope you get better.
        Do you remember if the Eckankar office wanted you to send a letter
        requesting renewal of your HI membership?

        When my membership expired sometime after my 6th initiation I thought
        it strange not to get a renewal notice from the Chanhassen office. I
        called them and they asked me to send a letter requesting renewal of
        my membership.

        I have a very important reason for asking this question.

        Thank you

        JEN

        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "Colleen Russell"