Re: what is a cult anyway

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21, 2008
      Consider the Internet being a place where you can find just about any
      information. The Eckists as well as non-Eckists use it to Google.
      Since I had a little time here before dinner, I googled all of the
      eck masters. It's true. They do not exist in any form or social
      construct throuhout history outside of the ECK world.
      It's all a huge deception! Twitchell was NEVER able to back any of
      his claims up so he created from his simple Paduchah mindset, a host
      of "saints" that existed since the beginning of time yet we cannot
      validate one single iota of any of these spiritual guises ANYWHERE in
      the history of the world.
      This only means one thing. ANYONE with balls, deception, trickery and
      an ego as big as Sat Nam can build a whole religion out of only one
      thing....imagination.
      Sorry Twitch. You lose all credibility along with your tunnel-
      visioned followers. they ar all Lemmings following you over a cliff
      to their spiritual death.

      Alf

      --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon" <brighttigress@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > After reading a lot, I could see why - but I still thought it
      > was "legitimate", compromised by telling myself okay, maybe some
      > eckists are cult members, but I'm definitely not!!! I really tried
      > to hold on with any rationalization I could come up with.
      >
      > I was like many people who think cults are weird far-out dangerous
      > groups, like Jim Jones' "People's Temple".
      >
      > I think "pseudo-spiritual protection racket" fits ekult, but it's
      > easier to type "cult".
      >
      > You'll find all sorts of definitions and long lists of defining
      > characteristics which often include things like "isolation of
      > members", which don't exactly fit ekult. I like the BITE model,
      > altho many eckists prefer to use those longer lists to "prove" it's
      > not a cult. But if you really look at it, ekult will still fit
      > those more "precise" lists.
      >
      > For example - isolation of members. Okay, ekult doesn't send vans
      &
      > girls in bikinis to college campuses to lure students away for
      > weekends that turn out to be high-pressure cult recruiting
      sessions,
      > but it *does* tell you not to read any non-eckstuff for the first
      > two years. And ekult doesn't keep you locked up in a hot room
      > listening to lectures & verbal abuse from the speaker & not let you
      > out to go to the bathroom until you've broken down enough, but
      > those "spiritual exercises" work the same way. You brainwash
      > yourself!!
      >
      > Are all cults "bad"? Well, that depends on your definition
      of "bad".

      > Ekult is more of a subtle cult, and relatively harmless when
      > compared to things like Jonestown & Heaven's Gate. But, that
      > depends on your definition of "harm", too.
      >
      > It took me several years "out" to clear my head, and it was only as
      > I recovered that I realized how much it had really damaged me. The
      > degree of harm and how it manifests is probably different for
      > different people. For example, ekult is the cause of several
      > suicides. Some from the hurt & disillusion when they learn the
      > truth, and some because Klemp appeared "on the inner" and told them
      > to. Just a few years ago there was a relatively small mass-suicide
      > linked to ekult, but not a lot of info about exactly what
      happened.
      > Let me see if I can find the old links - nope, quick search here
      > didn't turn anything up. If I recall, it was on a tropical island
      > or something similar, I'm pretty sure the "main" newspaper articles
      > were in French.
      >
      > Darn, wish I'd been more organized these last ten years!!!
      >
      > Yes, a lot of people call anything other than Christianity
      > a "cult". Like, Madonna's kabbalah group has been called a cult.
      > Well, you just don't know, kabbalah is a legitimate teaching but it
      > probably depends on who & how it's presented. Don't know much
      about
      > that group but going thru my old books, I came across an old one
      I'd
> [...]
      >
      > Anyway, while I'm here, there's some interesting discussion over at
      > EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous, I hope anyone who's not reading there
      > checks it out!
      >
      > I've seen Twitch's "Far Country" mentioned over at a.r.e. - and
      > wondered if perhaps people a bit "new" to the internet are aware
      > that this book was taken out-of-print sooner than others because
      > it's got the most documented plagiarism, and was probably the most
      > likely to get ekult sued.
      >
      > Oh horrors - I was just thinking of other examples of cults and how
      > they work - lots of sales companies use cultic techniques, in
      fact.
      > Like, timeshare salespeople. Unless you're brainwashed into "true
      > believerism" you won't be a successful salesperson!! <gg> Anyway,
      > I just popped into my "links" for the "cult-test", oh horrors, it's
      > not there, it's a Penthouse page now and thank goodness my four-
      year-
      > old grandson wasn't standing here next to me!!!! Geez, I've gotta
      > do some "housecleaning" here!!!
      >
      > Yes, I saw that Darwin had died, and evidently Klemp didn't say
      > anything about it. I, like many others, wonder what'll happen to
      > ATOM since Darwin didn't name a successor, but neither did Twitch!
      >
      > I had a thought, it would be a hoot if somehow "Sri" Michael Turner
      > saw a blue carnation in his dreams and claimed to get Darwin's "Rod
      > of Power" handed to him in a dream. I don't think his
      > little "Spiritual Freedom Satsang" or whatever he calls it really
      > attracts that many people. I first encountered him back in the
      late
      > 90's as an eckist at a.r.e., had some private correspondence with
      > him because I dropped him a line and said I'd liked what he was
      > posting. Well, I quickly started to feel like he was somehow
      trying
      > to "recruit" me for his group, especially after he mentioned he'd
      > just lost his job, and since he had more time he was going to focus
      > on being a "guru". Gawd, I was still a true-blue eckie at the time
      > but warning bells went off!
      >
      > <snicker> Just had one of those renegade thoughts - some time ago
      > came across a funny story, how Darwin had given a talk as LEM about
      > getting so turned-on at some other-planes "master" meeting that he
      > had to go out in the astral bushes and masturbate. Maybe Sri Mike,
      > Jerry Mulvin, and some of those other self-proclaimed "masters"
      > could join him in the bushes & have a "shooting" contest to decide
      > who gets the "Rod". <giggle>
      >
      > Okay, gotta run, have a great day, everyone!
      >
      > Hugs,
      >
      > Sharon
      >

      > --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, Leanne Thompson
      > <le_anne_thompson@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Sharon. What i a definition of a cult anyway? My first
      > impression is "Jonestown" rember them? But are all cults bad? Or
      why
      > are they called cults in the first place It sometimes spooks me.
      I.e