Just joined this group.

  • queenrendek
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 24, 2008
      Hi,
      I was a member of Eckankar for quite a few years in the 70's and 80's
      when Darwin was there and after. It was a long time ago but it still
      comes to mind. I believe I joined because I had friends who were
      members and was searching all my life for a so called "path". I went
      to classes when they had a center in Eagle Rock. The Lavaneri's were
      very active there and I attended meetings that they lead. I even set
      up a little seminar in my own town. I also went to several out of town
      seminars with friends to Las Vegas, Sacramento, Phoenix and others.
      I wanted to belong because I was always searching for a "path" and I
      had friends who were Eckists and they were very convincing. The whole
      experience was not bad really, but I never really "embraced" it,
      although I think I wanted to.

      This list appeals to me because I am still "searching" for something
      and maybe I could get further insights from the discussions.

      Thanks
      queenrendek
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 27, 2008
        Welcome, Queen!

        You've probably noticed there's not much activity here anymore. I'm
        sure everyone's like me, just happily enjoying life out of ekult and
        not that interested anymore. I think I've said/typed just about
        everything I can think of, multiple times. And I'm sure other
        previously prolific posters feel the same.

        Not sure about everyone else, but I know I'm certainly
        not "searching" anymore. I'm quite content *not* "knowing" and just
        lightly speculating on an infinite number of interesting
        possibilities.

        Anyway, while I'm here, someone sent me this link recently:
        http://www.underground-railroad.biz/psychicenergytransfer.html

        I think the bit at the end about parasitic "masters" is *so* true,
        I've come to believe most definitely that ekult's true nature is
        dark and evil, like a big nasty astral beast sucking the genuine
        energies from its befogged members, and giving back the illusion of
        inflow of "Spirit".

        And, right down below is an excerpt from Peter McWilliams' "Life
        102: What To Do When Your Guru Sues You". This passage does an
        excellent job of telling what ekult & all those other groups do.

        Gotta go, have a great day, everyone!!

        From Peter McWilliams' "Life 102, What to do when your guru sues you"

        As I previously mentioned, one is encouraged to fall asleep while
        listening to John-Roger's seminars. One is also encouraged to play a
        seminar tape at bedtime while going to sleep. All of this allows for
        more successful "soul travel"--and, of course, more successful
        subliminal programming.

        John-Roger is well aware of this: "While your conscious mind is at
        rest,
        during the sleep state;" he writes in the MSIA Handbook for
        Ministers of
        Light, "it will not question or block the spiritual action." The
        conscious mind "will not question or block" John-Roger's
        programming,
        either.

        When one is consciously listening to his seminar, one is encouraged
        "ignore" all the things that "don't apply to you" and look only for
        the
        "minute or two" during an hour-long seminar that is the message "the
        Traveler specifically has for you." All the other information
        was "for
        somebody else," and should be disregarded. Disregarded, perhaps--but
        the
        information enters the subconscious nonetheless.

        And then there are spiritual exercises. Everyone is
        encouraged--strongly--to do two hours each day of spiritual
        exercises
        (or "s.e.'s"). For two hours, with your eyes closed, you think about
        guess what? Yes: John-Roger. He suggests that you "mock up" his
        image in
        your mind. He suggests that you visualize purple light: the color of
        the
        Traveler. The only time it's okay to open your eyes is to gaze
        lovingly
        at a photograph or painting of him. You can also "chant the sacred
        names
        of God"--gods who are all, you are continually reminded, far
        inferior to
        John-Roger. You can also play meditation tapes, which feature
        John-Roger's voice telling you, essentially, that you should feel
        absolutely terrific because, after all, you were clever enough and
        fortunate enough to discover John-Roger.

        Seminars, combined with Discourses, the worshipful way in which
        John-Roger is treated by believers, the rumors of miracle heaof
        miracle
        healings (the far longer list of failed healings is never
        mentioned),
        John-Roger's demonstrations of his psychic powers (usually
        information
        he gathered surreptitiously combined with a crystal-ball-gazer's
        knack
        of throwing out generalities until the person being "read" awe-fully
        supplies the specific information)--all goes in, seminar after
        seminar,
        Discourse after Discourse, retreat after retreat, year after year.
        (Workshops such as Insight or MSIA retreats can shorten the
        programming
        time c

        At a certain instant, it all comes together. It does not gel or
        harden;
        it crystallizes--one moment it's not together, the next moment it
        is.
        One moment John-Roger is an occasionally interesting guy. The next
        minute he's God. Because it's been planted in your subconscious, the
        realization: "John-Roger is IT!" seems to come from within you. It
        is
        your realization. You had this breakthrough. "Nobody put me up to
        this;
        I discovered it on my own."

        The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie deliberate,
        contrived, and dishonest but the myth persistent, persuasive, and
        unrealistic.
        JOHN F. KENNEDY

        Eureka! All problems are solved. From maternity through senility to
        eternity, J-R is there and will help you--personally--every step of
        the
        way.Footsteps in the Sand, in which the disciple looks back on his
        life
        and notices that when times were easy, there were two pair of
        footsteps
        in the sand and when times were difficult, there was only one pair
        of
        footsteps in the sand. "Why, during the hard parts of my life, did
        you
        desert me?" the seeker asks his master. "I did not desert you," the
        master answers, "Those were the times I carried you." With stories
        such
        as this, John-Roger moves from programming to seduction.> "The
        Mystical
        Traveler will play all the roles in your life" John-Roger proclaims
        in a
        meditation. John-Roger was there at our conception, our birth when
        he
        "pushed us into the body," never leaves us (it is our lack of
        perception, not his lack of presence that causes us to be unaware of
        him), and will be there to "take you from the body" at the moment of
        your death. Conception to crematorium--what service.

        And that's how it works. From that point on, you're hooked. It would
        take a great deal of counterprogramming to unhook you. But that's
        not
        likely to happen. Now that you know that John-Roger is God, and you
        know
        you came to this conclusion on your own, then you willingly take
        part--even seek--more intense, more extreme, more devotional
        programming.

        Just to make sure that no counterprogramming accidentally sneaks in,
        one
        is encouraged to leave behind non-believing friends, husbands,
        wives,
        children, parents, bosses, employees, and anyone else. You are
        encouraged to "chant the names of God"--or chant the name J-R or
        John-Roger--no matter what else you're doing. The exploration of
        other
        groups or practices is severely frowned upon. Recreational
        activities
        such as reading books or watching television are considered
        frivolous.
        "Don't turn on the TVs until you've done your two hours of s.e.'s"
        is a
        common message. As one Devoted to the Light, one should be doing
        significant things: listening to seminar tapes, reading Discourses,
        s.e.'s, and service. And whom does one serve? The Traveler, of
        course.
        How does one serve the Traveler? Either volunteer for one of
        John-Roger's organizations, or go out and make some money and donate
        it
        to one of John-Roger's organizations.

        One should always be wary of someone who promises that their love
        will
        last longer than a weekend.
        QUENTIN CRISP

        All achievements, successes, and personal gains in a devotee's life
        are
        to be attributed to John-Roger. People who took credit for anything
        personally were accused of egocentricity, materialism, and pride.
        The
        teachings of the Movement are clear: the bad in your life is your
        fault,
        the good in your life is John-Roger's gift.

        Over time, most of your friends are Movement friends; your romantic
        relationships are with Movement people (or people who show a strong
        leaning toward the Movement); much of your business is done with
        people
        in the Movement and; beyond your basic needs, all your money is
        spent on
        Movement activities.

        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "queenrendek"
        <queenrendek@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I was a member of Eckankar for quite a few years in the 70's and
        80's
        > when Darwin was there and after. It was a long time ago but it
        still
        > comes to mind. I believe I joined because I had friends who were
        > members and was searching all my life for a so called "path". I
        went
        > to classes when they had a center in Eagle Rock. The Lavaneri's
        were
        > very active there and I attended meetings that they lead. I even
        set
        > up a little seminar in my own town. I also went to several out of
        town
        > seminars with friends to Las Vegas, Sacramento, Phoenix and
        others.
        > I wanted to belong because I was always searching for a "path" and
        > had friends who were Eckists and they were very convincing. The
        whole
        > experience was not bad really, but I never really "embraced" it,
        > although I think I wanted to.
        >
        > This list appeals to me because I am still "searching" for
        something
        > and maybe I could get further insights from the discussions.
        >
        > Thanks
        > queenrendek

      • Tritum
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
          hello all. I just created an Eckankar ning group.

          eckankar.ning.com

          I could use some help getting it filled with content.

          (Note from Sharon: I added this comment before "approving" this new member's post, and popped over to upload the video where hopefully many people will see it!! <gg>)

          --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon" <brighttigress@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > went
          > > to classes when they had a center in Eagle Rock. The Lavaneri's
          > were
          > > very active there and I attended meetings that they lead. I even
          > set
          > > up a little seminar in my own town. I also went to several out of
          > town
          > > seminars with friends to Las Vegas, Sacramento, Phoenix and
          > others.
          > > I wanted to belong because I was always searching for a "path" and
          > > had friends who were Eckists and they were very convincing. The
          > whole
          > > experience was not bad really, but I never really "embraced" it,
          > > although I think I wanted to.
          > >
          > > This list appeals to me because I am still "searching" for
          > something
          > > and maybe I could get further insights from the discussions.

        • 125
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 13, 2008

            Hi there queenrendek:

            I haven't been replying to anyone just reading emails from this group for months, hoping like you that someone would  mention something that I could research and try to find some peace.  So far nothing helpful.  I mostly think alot by myself.  Do some hot yoga, this seems to help some, but I feel like there is more only I don't know how to find it.

            I loved Eckankar while I was in it, then it started to feel wrong?  I tried to stay and get the hang of it, but my old self took over and said get the hell out before you end up in a nut house.

            Here's what I have tried, I got saved - didn't know from what because I didn't feel like I needed saving, but I did it.  Then nothing... I quit church, got to despise it really, so much bs about love and such but I didn't feel anything.  Then they told me I couldn't join anyway because I had to believe 3 things and I didn't believe those 3 things even though I tried to I couldn't.

            Then life crashed down around me and I decided I'd try Eck for a while.  I loved it at first, I thought I could get some real answers about life.  I thought I did, then I realized they just wanted to train me into a higher soul to be of more help to other souls so I could move forward on "the path".  So much bs there too.  Man I tell you I can't find a thing?

            If you just need to write to someone maybe that will have to do.  I don't know.

            Oh I was an Eck member for about 4 years  in 2003 til 2007

            Hopelessly lost in VA

            R Sycamore

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 13, 2008

              Hello R,

              I related to some of your comments for sure.  I think we tend to envy those who say "I have found it!"  And we are still floating around thinking we missed the boat and don't understand how they "found it" and we can't.   (How's that for a metaphor?)  Anyway,

              I don't know about you, but I think I was more "into" the Eck members that I knew than really embracing Eckankar.  I wanted to feel or believe or grasp it like they did.  By the way, "they" are still in it.  I email a couple of them still but we never talk about Eckankar.

              I just never really "got it".  I could never do the "spiritual exercises" with any real results or eye opening events.  I actually still use the secret chant word or whatever they called it when you got your initiation.  It seems to center me during hard times.  I don't get it but it works.

              I went to many seminars and found them non threatening, but to tell you the truth I really could never figure out what the heck Darwin or the current Eck master Harold were really talking about.  I lived it through my friends and tried very hard.  I also went to classes in my area and even set up a little seminar in my town  and read books.  I really wanted to get it but was fooling myself I think.  I was also very shy then and didn't speak up much in classes.  Now they probably couldn't shut me up.  My husband and family were very tolerant of the whole thing and so no harm in looking for something higher than myself.  At least that is what they told me. heh heh.  If you want to chat more about just let me know. Currently my "spiritual" life involves bonding with my cat and working with my plants in the yard and enjoying my family.  Maybe that is what it is about and the rest we can just leave to the Universe.

              Queen

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 16, 2008
                --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, Rennie Dudek <queenrendek@...>
                wrote:

                > Currently my "spiritual" life involves bonding with my cat and
                working with my plants in the yard and enjoying my family.  Maybe
                that is what it is about and the rest we can just leave to the
                Universe.

                > Queen

                Hi Queen and all,

                I snipped your post and left the "spiritually enlightened" part!
                LOL Because, the truth is, that is what spiritual enlightenment is!

                I was a e-cult member from age 12/13 joined with my entire family
                through our mother in the early 70s. Remained a member for a little
                over 30 yrs, and left 5 years ago... wow it's actually been 5 yrs!

                Just keep doing what you're doing and let the Universe take care of
                the rest! Enjoy your family, and everything else you have always
                wanted to try, do, experience.

                My husband and I recently rented "The bucket list", and loved it.
                Also, the movies theme song by John Mayer "Say" goes perfectly with
                the theme of the movie.

                Go out and enjoy life, I did...
                Liz

                "Say" by John Mayer

                Take all of your wasted honor
                Every little past frustration
                Take all of your so-called problems,
                Better put 'em in quotations

                Say what you need to say [x8]

                Walking like a one man army
                Fighting with the shadows in your head
                Living out the same old moment
                Knowing you'd be better off instead,
                If you only could . . .

                Say what you need to say [x8]

                Have no fear for giving in
                Have no fear for giving over
                You'd better know that in the end
                Its better to say too much
                Then never say what you need to say again

                Even if your hands are shaking
                And your faith is broken
                Even as the eyes are closing
                Do it with a heart wide open

                Say what you need to say [x24]
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
                  > --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, Rennie Dudek <queenrendek@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Currently my "spiritual" life involves bonding with my cat and
                  > working with my plants in the yard and enjoying my family.  Maybe
                  > that is what it is about and the rest we can just leave to the
                  > Universe.
                  > >
                  > > Queen
                  > >

                  > Hi Queen and all,
                  >
                  > I snipped your post and left the "spiritually enlightened" part!
                  > LOL Because, the truth is, that is what spiritual enlightenment is!
                  > (posted by Liz "Whitefeather")

                  Hi Everyone!!

                  Sorry, I've been neglecting ET as usual, I'm happily elsewhere
                  enjoying "enlightenment"! <gg> Right now my 4-year-old grandson and
                  I are definitely on one of those "highest" planes - on top of
                  the "retired" pop-up camper, which happens to be the only place in
                  his yard that gets a lot of sunshine and is relatively safe from
                  marauding deer (aka "Pennsylvania Rats"). So, we used the old
                  kiddie/turtle pool (oldest grandson & wife reclaimed their turtles)
                  to start a watermelon garden, and just yesterday found our first tiny
                  melon, the size of a baby pea!!

                  Anyway, I figured I might as well post something about a recent
                  discussion topic, and I just tried to pop into "messages" in another
                  window but I'm told the messages here are not available right now.
                  (??????) So, I'll just go from memory here...

                  Okay, I've totally forgotten the name you're using, person who's been
                  posting that psychic vampirism stuff!! BTW, I just changed your
                  settings so I don't have to pre-approve your posts, and also I'd like
                  to remind everyone that all members can add links in the "links"
                  section here, so would you add yours? I only posted it in a message
                  here, which is much faster for me than adding links.

                  Anyway, this is a sort of "controversial" subject, energy-stealing or
                  whatever. And puh-leeze, this is "eckankartruth" not alien abduction
                  or reptilian aliens or any other of that kind of thing, true or not!
                  I refrain from having an opinion about stuff like that, although
                  personally I'm totally hoping that those "good" aliens will reveal
                  themselves on December 21, 2012, and wave their magic laser-beams and
                  we'll all live happily ever after!!! <gg> I'd really love to meet
                  an alien, as long as there's none of that anal-probe nonsense, in
                  which case they can expect me to rip off their tentacles with my bare
                  hands!!

                  But, that energy-sucking stuff, well, it's something I sort of
                  suspected on my own a long time ago. And it sort of goes along with
                  my own personal experience as an eckist and an ex-eckist. It's
                  probably something I posted about back on a.r.e. years back, but I do
                  truly believe that somehow, ekult's "corporate entity consciousness"
                  or whatever you call it somehow sucks the life out of at least a
                  certain percentage of its members, if not all.

                  It's sort of like the membership & book sales profit, only sort of
                  not on the physical plane.

                  Another thing I noticed when I got out and a lot of people started
                  writing to me, it wasn't unusual for people who've had just about
                  totally "normal" lives to start up with ekult and then all of a
                  sudden, start experiencing "psychic attacks" of one kind of another -
                  in fact, this happened to a "newbie" eckist I was rather close to,
                  and they ended up falling for the cult's b.s. about how <rolling my
                  eyes here> all the forces of the KAL will gang up and do whatever
                  they can to prevent someone from getting all that spirichul stuff
                  from the original and only true "source", they'd "hu" those darned
                  pesky entities away and renew their membership, never even
                  considering the possibility that those "attacks" originated from cult
                  headquarters!!

                  Anyway, for a lot of the "newbies" reading here, I've been "out" for
                  ten years now, I started out as a true-blue eckie at
                  alt.religion.eckankar, determined to "save" all those poor deluded
                  Souls who'd betrayed the master, and help them to return and not have
                  to spend eternity wandering in astral hell. And I've probably posted
                  several equivalents of "War & Peace" since then, although I've really
                  slacked off in recent years.

                  I still get a lot of email. Even recently, I've received emails from
                  people who tell me they're experiencing many different degrees
                  of "psychic attack" originating from the cult and/or its HIs. Oh!!
                  Just remembered something, back when I was still an eckie, there was
                  an African eckie on one of the cult's email groups who was accusing
                  some HIs of practicing black magic against him. I'm sure most of you
                  know that privately, this is a big subject with eckies.

                  Another interesting thing I learned, going way back, there was a
                  group of eckists who got together regularly to sort of "zap" the
                  cult's "enemies", and they weren't sending out peace & love vibes!!
                  I believe this was around the time of "Darwingate", when both
                  cultmasters were accusing each other of being black magicians &
                  telling their particular followers to burn all the other guy's stuff,
                  etc.

                  Joe Sykes is, unfortunately, not the "worst case" of this kind of
                  thing. You know, for a long time I didn't think it was a good idea
                  to publicize his story at all, simply because of the possibility that
                  it might put ideas into people's heads and they'd end up somehow
                  having "psychic attack" problems that they otherwise wouldn't have
                  had.

                  Some people are more suggestible than others. Some people are more
                  imaginative. But...there are also a lot of totally "normal" and
                  logical types, a certain percentage where it certainly does seem like
                  there's no other reason for "psychic attacks" than the fact that yes,
                  it happens. It's real. Maybe not everyone is a good
                  enough "receiver" or something, who knows? It's sort of like alien
                  abduction - why do those aliens only abduct certain people, most of
                  whom would prefer *not* to be abducted?

                  Have to laugh, years back my brother and a group of his friends
                  experienced a big UFO swooping down on them while they were playing
                  basketball. These were just grubby little kids with absolutely *no*
                  thoughts or interest in stuff like this, and it was back in the 60's
                  or 70's anyway, but another interesting thing is, a few years later,
                  two of those same kids ended up with what seems to be an "abduction"
                  experience even though to this day, none of them are "believers".

                  Anyway, I was sort of jealous, and actually went up on the railroad
                  tracks quite a few times (the highest & clearest tree-free location)
                  and yelled up towards the sky, "Hey aliens, I'd like to meet you!" or
                  words to that effect. Got no response. I'm still waiting &
                  hoping...sort of. They weren't interested when I still had good
                  eggs, and now that the eggs are all dried up I'm sure the aliens are
                  even less interested.

                  Anyway, everyone's "ecksperience" is often different, whether you're
                  a member or awake & out. It's good when people are able to share
                  their personal experiences & viewpoints, from one extreme to the
                  other.

                  Oh, well...gotta get back to "enlightenment"! <gg>

                  Hope everyone else is enjoying summer!!

                  PS - Alf, love the jokes, post more!! And how about that funny old
                  story about Reb?? My personal "Alfie" archives are in storage. <gg>

                  Oh - here's one, don't think it's yours:

                  First Eckie: Darn, as hard as I try, I just can't get a clear
                  picture on my inner screen!!

                  Second Eckie: The screen?!? You see the screen?!?!

                  (Darn, that's not exactly right - I just vaguely remember it, I think
                  there was another one with it about a lost eckie wandering around
                  back roads doing vahana work or something.)