Re: [eckankartruth] Re: Whoa

  • Leanne Thompson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2008
      I found out that linda is the CA resa and don ginn stpped aside. BTW, where is Gail twitchell and did she bail out as well?

      Leanne

      colleen <colleenmft@...> wrote:
      Hi Tygerpurr...

      As you have experienced, cults can cause great harm to
      relationships and families when members and leaders
      view themselves as the "chosen ones", more
      enlightened, superior, or "spiritually aware", etc.
      than those outside the group.

      The man who recruited me when I was 19 was the man I
      later married. When I filed for a divorce, I also
      made the decision to become "inactive" in Eckankar so
      that I could determine how I could live on my own,
      without my first husband and away from the day to day
      activities that had become my life for 7 years. Years
      later I stopped paying membership. I didn't have any
      other family members who were involved and this
      certainly made it easier for me in some ways. As I
      began to become psychologically free from my
      dependence to the "master" and the deception in
      Eckankar, I was able to relate more genuinely and
      maturely to my family of origin and extended family
      members. When I perceived myself and others as more
      fully human, with all our complexities and
      imperfections, I was able to become more closely
      connected.

      It is a loss when one isn't able to have the loving,
      supportive, and accepting relationship with one's
      family that one desires.

      I've known people who have distanced themselves from
      family members still involved in the cult. They try
      in various ways to connect, be seen as who they are,
      and respected, but this may fail to a great degree.
      So, they may spend less time with family members and
      accept that communication will be superficial and
      hopefully courteous. Cultivating a close, intimate
      (not necessary sexual) relationship with someone else
      can be a fulfilling alternative. Perhaps some day the
      family members will leave Eckankar as you did and you
      can have more in common.

      Best,

      Colleen

> [...]
      > > karma would get very large or I would make life
      > very
      > > miserable for myself. I thought it was just a love
      > > song to God so no harm in doing it.
      > >
      > > Leanne
      > >
      > > Colleen Russell <colleenmft@ ...> wrote:
      > > Hello Leanne,
      > >
      > > I knew Ron and Linda Lavaneri very well years ago
      > > when I was a Mahdis
      > > in LA. Are you referring to them? Could you
      > explain
      > > what you said
      > > they told you about chanting hu? I'm curious.
      > >
      > > Colleen
      > >
      > > --- In eckankartruth@ yahoogroups. com, Leanne
      > > Thompson
      > > <le_anne_thompson@ ...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Thanks sharon. That was helpful. I have been in
      > > eck for 10 yrs. I
      > > asked folks about the plagiarism and all I got was
      > > weird stares
      > > or "... what do you think it means".
      > > > One of the lavaneris told me about huing too
      > long
      > > and karma.
      > > > BTW I was *&^%$ after the fact I found out paul
      > > lied so I ended
      > > up listening to all my KISS and Zep records. Boy
      > > that was healing.
      > > Esp stairway to heaven (or in my case stairway to
      > > reality)
      > > >
      > > > LT
      > > >
      > > > Sharon <brighttigress@ ...> wrote:
      > > > --- In eckankartruth@ yahoogroups. com, Leanne
      > > Thompson

      > > left eckankar and
      > > am
      > > > on my own studying whatever spiritual path
      > catches
      > > my crtical
      > > heart.
      > > > Does anyone know where the HU came from(othre
      > than
      > > what eck says)
      > > and
      > > > how to use it like OM? IF you do real long hus
      > do
      > > you get alot of
      > > > karma (like they say in ECK?)

      > > this. I fell I just
      > > > wasted my spiritual life.
      > > >
      > > > Hu originated with the Sufis. If you do a
      > > websearch, I'm sure you
      > > > can find plenty of non-cultic info about it. Not
      > > long after I left,
      > > > I had a discussion with a Sufi about it. They
      > > pronounce it "hooo".
      > > >
      > > > Sounds like you weren't a member for long. Don't
      > > understand exactly
      > > > what you mean by "how to use it like OM".
      > Mantras
      > > are mantras, you
      > > > use them all the same way.
      > > >
      > > > I never heard ekult say that long hus get you a
      > > lot of karma,
      > > except
      > > > it just occurred to me that if you're spending a
      > > lot of time
      > > sitting
      > > > around chanting "hu" you're not going to be
      > > getting into trouble
      > > > elsewhere, or doing "good deeds" or much of

      === message truncated ===

      This electronic mail transmission may contain privileged,
      confidential and/or proprietary information intended only for the person(s) named. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure to another person is strictly prohibited. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.
      ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ******

      Be a better friend, newshound, and

    • Leanne Thompson
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
        Are there any other spiritual paths that are much better than Eck? I was looking into Zen, kabbalah, yogananda, skirpal singh, beas/sat mant to start. Or are all these BS?

        Thanks

        colleen <colleenmft@...> wrote:
        Gail left, from what I understand, around the time
        that Darwin was booted out (or some time before).
        Others here probably have all the information
        available.

        I was the CA RESA too, years ago, and I knew Don Ginn.
        I wish both Linda and Don my best wishes in
        discovering themselves and developing their own lives,
        free from dogma.

        Colleen

        --- Leanne Thompson <le_anne_thompson@ yahoo.com>

      • tygerpurr
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
          Thanks Colleen,

          That was a very helpful and moving reply; it actually brought a little
          tear to my left eye. Thanks again.

          Tygerpurr ; )

          --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, colleen <colleenmft@...> wrote:

          > Message #6937 of 6940 < Prev | Next >
          Re: [eckankartruth] Re: Whoa!!!

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
            Leanne,

            as far as I'm concerned, any "Path" is better that does not
            involve Guru or Master worship; it is at least a step in the right
            direction. Authoritarian and Deception usually go together, along with
            some kind of Dogma and Absolutism. I'm not saying don't study any that
            you have listed, just be skeptical, imho. As I've said before, asking
            a lot of questions is normal and very human, from childhood on. If
            they get irritated by you asking questions, then it is probably a red
            flag, imo.

            Tygerpurr ; )

            wrote:

            > I found out that linda is the CA resa and don ginn
            > stpped aside. BTW, where is Gail twitchell and did
            > she bail out as well?
            >

            > Leanne
            >
            > colleen <colleenmft@...> wrote:
            > Hi Tygerpurr...
            >
            > As you have experienced, cults can cause great harm
            > relationships and families when members and leaders
            > view themselves as the "chosen ones", more
            > enlightened, superior, or "spiritually aware", etc.
            > than those outside the group.
            >
            > The man who recruited me when I was 19 was the man I
            > later married. When I filed for a divorce, I also
            > made the decision to become "inactive" in Eckankar
            > so
            > that I could determine how I could live on my own,
            > without my first husband and away from the day to
            > day
            > activities that had become my life for 7 years.
            > Years
            > later I stopped paying membership. I didn't have any
            > other family members who were involved and this
            > certainly made it easier for me in some ways. As I
            > began to become psychologically free from my
            > dependence to the "master" and the deception in
            > Eckankar, I was able to relate more genuinely and
            > maturely to my family of origin and extended family
            > members. When I perceived myself and others as more
            > fully human, with all our complexities and
            > imperfections, I was able to become more closely
            > connected.
            >
            > It is a loss when one isn't able to have the loving,
            > supportive, and accepting relationship with one's
            > family that one desires.
            >
            > I've known people who have distanced themselves from
            > family members still involved in the cult. They try
            > in various ways to connect, be seen as who they are,
            > and respected, but this may fail to a great degree.
            > So, they may spend less time with family members and
            > accept that communication will be superficial and
            > hopefully courteous. Cultivating a close, intimate
            > (not necessary sexual) relationship with someone
            > else
            > can be a fulfilling alternative. Perhaps some day
            > the
            > family members will leave Eckankar as you did and
            > you
            > can have more in common.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Colleen
            >
            > > Colleen, do you have any suggestions on how to
            > deal
            > > with long time
            > > eckists in your family who lie to you or won't
            > talk
            > > to you in an
            > > honest way? Maybe this is typical of the cult
            > > mentality and lack of
          • Leanne Thompson
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
              Thank you. I hate when they lead one by the carrot (you can have this iffffff you do this for 100 yrs+walk on your knees to work+and eat fried tofu: as an example)
              Dam them. I bough tthe HI books and they read just like any book.

              Thank you

              Leanne