Across the Universe

  • tomleafeater
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 26, 2007
      Best movie I've seen in a while is "Across the Universe," which
      brilliantly uses Beatles music to create a storyline.

      I really, really enjoyed that film. Reminded me of my childhood.
      Brought me to tears, in fact.

      Go see it.

      If any of you still have a living pulse beating in you, you'll love
      it.

      Conservative, anal, stick-up-your-ass types, in or out of eckankar,
      need not bother. Save your money for your local police fund.

      Holier-than-thou types, in eckankar or out, need not bother either.
      You won't like it. Save your money for church.

      Leafeater (child of the late 60's)

      (Ate lots of leaves and left)
    • John Morton
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 26, 2007

        October 03, 2007
        Don't tax the Internet
        Time is running out for the Internet taxation moratorium. The current ban expires Nov. 1, after which states and municipalities can swarm Internet users with new e-commerce levies (and they will). There is even talk of taxing individual e-mail messages. Congress should extend the ban.

        This widely popular legislation has been extended twice over nine years and has enjoyed wide bipartisan support. It flew through the Senate by a 93-3 margin when it was renewed in 2004. Everyone from Sen. Chuck Schumer, New York Democrat, to bill sponsor George Allen, Virginia Republican, supported it. In the House, its 134 cosponsors included figures across the spectrum, from Rep. Marty Meehan, Massachusetts Democrat, to Rep. Tom Tancredo, Colorado Republican. The merits of the moratorium have not changed much.

        So why the delay? The short answers are dueling legislators and the accompanying congressional foot-dragging. Groups such as the U.S. Conference of Mayors and the National Governors Association want a short extension; grandfathered privileges for the nine states that tax e-commerce; and a narrowing of definitions. Last week, Rep. John Conyers, Michigan Democrat, introduced a bill containing those and extending the moratorium through 2011. This follows Mr. Conyers' apparent rejection of a bill by Rep. Anna Eshoo, the California Democrat who represents Silicon Valley, and Rep. Bob Goodlatte, Virginia Republican, to make the ban permanent. (We prefer a permanent ban.)

        A ban expiry would be a serious disservice to consumers, not to mention a drag on a high-performing sector of the economy. Some on the left are swayed by the argument that the Internet tax moratorium places a disproportionate tax burden on low-income Americans because it is the wealthy and middle class, not the poor, who spend online. This is more than a bit of tax-and-spend revenue hunger. The disparity is likely to lessen in the future, as the costs of computers and online access continue to fall.

        There is no compelling reason for this commonsense legislation to expire, other than to fill the grubby hands of state and local politicians. On behalf of consumers, businesses and for economic prosperity generally, Congress should renew the moratorium on Internet taxes.
        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
          --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "tomleafeater" <tianyue@...>
          wrote:

          > Best movie I've seen in a while is "Across the Universe," which
          > brilliantly uses Beatles music to create a storyline.
          >
          > I really, really enjoyed that film. Reminded me of my childhood.
          > Brought me to tears, in fact.
          >

          > Go see it.
          >

          > If any of you still have a living pulse beating in you, you'll love
          > it.
          >

          > Conservative, anal, stick-up-your-ass types, in or out of eckankar,
          > need not bother. Save your money for your local police fund.
          >

          > Holier-than-thou types, in eckankar or out, need not bother either.
          > You won't like it. Save your money for church.
          >

          > Leafeater (child of the late 60's)
          >
          > (Ate lots of leaves and left)

          Hey Leaf,
          I haven't seen it yet but it's on my list. Are you a Beatles
          fanatic like me? If you ever ever ever get the chance, go see a band
          called the Fab Faux. There's about thirteen people in the band and
          they do an ALL live Beatle show.I've seen these stupid Beatmania
          wannabees come and go, but these folks are incredible!!! They even do
          the backwards part at the end of Strawberry Fields.

          Mean Mr. Mustard
        • John Morton
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
            What were those colorful paisley like collarless shirts from india that the beatles wore during the taping of all you need is love and with the maaharishi?

            Where do I buy them?
            Thanks

            wrote:

            > Best movie I've seen in a while is "Across the Universe," which
            > brilliantly uses Beatles music to create a storyline.
            >
            > I really, really enjoyed that film. Reminded me of my childhood.
            > Brought me to tears, in fact.
            >

            > Go see it.
            >

            > If any of you still have a living pulse beating in you, you'll love
            > it.
            >

            > Conservative, anal, stick-up-your- ass types, in or out of eckankar,
            > need not bother. Save your money for your local police fund.
            >

            > Holier-than- thou types, in eckankar or out, need not bother either.
            > You won't like it. Save your money for church.
            >

            > Leafeater (child of the late 60's)
            >
            > (Ate lots of leaves and left)

            Hey Leaf,
            I haven't seen it yet but it's on my list. Are you a Beatles
            fanatic like me? If you ever ever ever get the chance, go see a band
            called the Fab Faux. There's about thirteen people in the band and
            they do an ALL live Beatle show.I've seen these stupid Beatmania
            wannabees come and go, but these folks are incredible!! ! They even do
            the backwards part at the end of Strawberry Fields.

            Mean Mr. Mustard

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Paul Olson
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2007
              Leaf!

              WOW! THANK YOU! That was one increible amazing movie! It brought
              so much back for me!

              Guys, if you were around in the 60's or know your Beatle music, this
              is a MUST!

              But you'd better hurry. It's not doing well at the box office,
              which I guess is fairly normal for really inspired work, so go see
              it yesterday!

              Also, There is a fairly new CD, DVD, called "The Beatles "LOVE". It
              has a bright orange jacket.

              It's all remastered and re-blended Beatles music. All I can ay
              about that is pop a great botle of wine, pack a bowl or whatever,
              shut off the lights and go on back....You've never heard the Beatles
              like this before....

              Leaf, again thanks for the movie tip!
              SWORD

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 9, 2007
                They were called Nehru shirts. You can only buy them through E-Bay or
                a local head shop.........along with pipes, incense and peppermints.

                Wavy Gravy

                --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, John Morton <codeygoo@...>
                wrote:

                > What were those colorful paisley like collarless shirts from india
                that the beatles wore during the taping of all you need is love and
                with the maaharishi?

                > Where do I buy them?
                > Thanks
                >
                > al_radzik <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                > --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "tomleafeater"
                <tianyue@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Best movie I've seen in a while is "Across the Universe," which
                > > brilliantly uses Beatles music to create a storyline.
                > >
                > > I really, really enjoyed that film. Reminded me of my childhood.
                > > Brought me to tears, in fact.
                > >

                > > Go see it.
                > >

                > > If any of you still have a living pulse beating in you, you'll
                love
                > > it.
                > >

                > > Conservative, anal, stick-up-your-ass types, in or out of
                eckankar,
                > > need not bother. Save your money for your local police fund.
                > >

                > > Holier-than-thou types, in eckankar or out, need not bother
                either.
                > > You won't like it. Save your money for church.
                > >

                > > Leafeater (child of the late 60's)
                > >
                > > (Ate lots of leaves and left)
                > >

                > Hey Leaf,
                > I haven't seen it yet but it's on my list. Are you a Beatles
                > fanatic like me? If you ever ever ever get the chance, go see a
                band
                > called the Fab Faux. There's about thirteen people in the band and
                > they do an ALL live Beatle show.I've seen these stupid Beatmania
                > wannabees come and go, but these folks are incredible!!! They even
                do
                > the backwards part at the end of Strawberry Fields.
                >
                > Mean Mr. Mustard

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • tygerpurr
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 15, 2007
                  I loved this movie, a real work of art, sensuous and such beautiful
                  singing and acting. At times I felt as if I was listening to the
                  lyrics for the first time, and the melody arrangement too. Those guys
                  really wrote from the heart. At first I thought it might just be a so
                  so movie. In fact, it is a master piece!

                  Tygerpurr ; )

                  --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "tomleafeater" <tianyue@...> wrote:

                  > Best movie I've seen in a while is "Across the Universe," which
                  > brilliantly uses Beatles music to create a storyline.
                  >
                  > I really, really enjoyed that film. Reminded me of my childhood.
                  > Brought me to tears, in fact.
                  >

                  > Go see it.
                  >

                  > If any of you still have a living pulse beating in you, you'll love
                  > it.
                  >

                  > Conservative, anal, stick-up-your-ass types, in or out of eckankar,
                  > need not bother. Save your money for your local police fund.
                  >

                  > Holier-than-thou types, in eckankar or out, need not bother either.
                  > You won't like it. Save your money for church.
                  >

                  > Leafeater (child of the late 60's)
                  >
                  > (Ate lots of leaves and left)

                • Paul Olson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 16, 2007
                    Tiger,

                    I couldn't agree with you more!

                    The reviewers that I have read simply weren't there...I WAS, and a
                    big part of me still is, and will always be.

                    That part of my life stands alone as one of the most unique sections
                    of the history of the American Culture.....

                    If you weren't there, you simply won't understand. It was amazing
                    and I doubt that any generation since has felt the passions, the
                    disappointments, and the revelations, that we were blessed to
                    experience back then.

                    I'm going to buy this movie...Watch it over and over....and hold a
                    60's party at my home for my more republican friends...and my old
                    hippie friends.....

                    I've got an 8 channel surround system, DTS, HDTV, Hi Def, 48 inch
                    plasma TV.....

                    I'm gonna blow their socks off with this amazing flick!

                    Any lurkers here should try to see this flick on the big screen...If
                    your old enough to have had an inspired childhood.

                    You're right...THIS IS A MASTERPIECE.

                    Sword

                    --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, tygerpurr <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > I loved this movie, a real work of art, sensuous and such beautiful
                    > singing and acting. At times I felt as if I was listening to the
                    > lyrics for the first time, and the melody arrangement too. Those
                    guys
                    > really wrote from the heart. At first I thought it might just be a
                    so
                    > so movie. In fact, it is a master piece!
                    >
                    > Tygerpurr ; )
                    >
                    > --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "tomleafeater" <tianyue@>
                    wrote:

                    > > Best movie I've seen in a while is "Across the Universe," which
                    > > brilliantly uses Beatles music to create a storyline.
                    > >
                    > > I really, really enjoyed that film. Reminded me of my childhood.
                    > > Brought me to tears, in fact.
                    > >

                    > > Go see it.
                    > >

                    > > If any of you still have a living pulse beating in you, you'll
                    love
                    > > it.
                    > >

                    > > Conservative, anal, stick-up-your-ass types, in or out of
                    eckankar,
                    > > need not bother. Save your money for your local police fund.
                    > >

                    > > Holier-than-thou types, in eckankar or out, need not bother
                    either.
                    > > You won't like it. Save your money for church.
                    > >

                    > > Leafeater (child of the late 60's)
                    > >
                    > > (Ate lots of leaves and left)

                  • colleen
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 18, 2007
                      After hearing Leaf's and Sword's review, my husband
                      and I saw the movie last weekend, and we both loved
                      it. Yes, the choreography, singing, dancing, acting,
                      script is all excellent. I am looking forward to
                      seeing it on our flat screen with the sound system my
                      husband has installed. It will be one of those DVDs
                      we'll buy.

                      Speaking of great music DVDs, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND an
                      all-time favorite that I've seen many times -- Calle
                      54!!! It's beautifully photographed, brazalian/cuban
                      jazz. a most beautiful and sexy woman who sings and
                      plays excellent jazz piano, barefoot, is one not to
                      miss -- Eliana Elias..we have several of her CDs. The
                      lighting, some commentary about the players, young,
                      old alike, their passion and skills is intoxicating!
                      It could really be a great addition to your
                      Thanksgiving Day.
                      Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone.

                      Colleen
                      --- tygerpurr <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      > I loved this movie, a real work of art, sensuous and
                      > such beautiful
                      > singing and acting. At times I felt as if I was
                      > listening to the
                      > lyrics for the first time, and the melody
                      > arrangement too. Those guys
                      > really wrote from the heart. At first I thought it
                      > might just be a so
                      > so movie. In fact, it is a master piece!
                      >
                      > Tygerpurr ; )
                      >
                      > --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "tomleafeater"
                      > <tianyue@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Best movie I've seen in a while is "Across the
                      > Universe," which
                      > > brilliantly uses Beatles music to create a
                      > storyline.
                      > >
                      > > I really, really enjoyed that film. Reminded me of
                      > my childhood.
                      > > Brought me to tears, in fact.
                      > >

                      > > Go see it.
                      > >

                      > > If any of you still have a living pulse beating in
                      > you, you'll love
                      > > it.
                      > >

                      > > Conservative, anal, stick-up-your-ass types, in or
                      > out of eckankar,
                      > > need not bother. Save your money for your local
                      > police fund.
                      > >

                      > > Holier-than-thou types, in eckankar or out, need
                      > not bother either.
                      > > You won't like it. Save your money for church.
                      > >

                      > > Leafeater (child of the late 60's)
                      > >
                      > > (Ate lots of leaves and left)

                      This electronic mail transmission may contain privileged,
                      confidential and/or proprietary information intended only for the person(s) named. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure to another person is strictly prohibited. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.