Venting

  • Eleven
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26 12:56 AM
      Hey folks--Sharon et al:

      I think I'll enjoy being on this list. Thank you for you friendliness. I
      just wanted to say regarding venting--I have no problem expressing my anger.
      But I do feel anger is a potent force that should be directed in the most
      self-empowering way. So, I need to be careful about just spewing. When I
      do that, it usually seems to create whiplash! I want my anger to help heal
      me, not alienate you guys! Anyway, I did some serious grappling
      politically and psychologically while engaged in Eckankar leadership. And
      frankly, I've seen all their moves--a pretty predictable bunch when it comes
      down to it. Superior, self-satisfied, childish, and strangely immune to the
      power of knowledge. Go ahead and grapple if it pleases thee. I'll be over
      here watching the half-time cheerleaders! (XFL rules!)

      The really astounding thing is when they aren't attacking people personally,
      the defenders of the faith do little more then practice shabby reflexive
      verbal tricks, and mutter pious content-free aphorisms about love and
      consciousness. But most of the time, the "truth" they utter is demonstrably
      specious. If I hear "It just is" one more time, as a means of remaining
      intractable, I think I'll bust! They don't seem to have any idea how
      devastating "It" can be to a person's reality tunnel, or they pretend
      they've already been through that stage--which of course they haven't,
      because if they had, they wouldn't be so cock-sure of their all pet new-age
      dogmas. In a way though, Eckankar really is the place for people like that.
      They've become the lords of mediocrity, loitering in the courtyard of the
      whirlwind, proclaiming dominion with little tin horns. The Eckankar
      teachings have evolved into a melange of Hallmark card inspiration, Reader's
      Digest scholarship, birdfeeder teaching, kitty cat wisdom, and Norman
      Rockwell kitsch. They have no idea how vulgar they've allowed the whole sad
      movement to become. Even Harold admitted that Eckankar is not taking the
      next step!

      I don't begrudge them their circus though. When I'm really honest with
      myself, I can see I'm just pissed because I had to take my little juggling
      act and find another place to play! Boo-hoo!

      Anyway, I wanted to write some messages about the doctrinal teachings, if
      anyone is interested.

      Thanks,
      Mick

      P.S. Just to be safe. If anyone feels like reposting some stuff I put out
      here, please ask me first. (Yeah, it's a control thing! What can I say?)
    • seraphim279@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26 8:49 AM
        --- In eckankartruth@y..., "Eleven" <Pharmakon11@e...> wrote:
        I do feel anger is a potent force that should be directed in the most
        > self-empowering way. So, I need to be careful about just spewing.
        When I
        > do that, it usually seems to create whiplash! I want my anger to
        help heal
        > me, not alienate you guys! Anyway, I did some serious grappling
        > politically and psychologically while engaged in Eckankar
        leadership. And
        > frankly, I've seen all their moves--a pretty predictable bunch when
        it comes
        > down to it. Superior, self-satisfied, childish, and strangely
        immune to the
        > power of knowledge. Go ahead and grapple if it pleases thee. I'll
        be over
        > here watching the half-time cheerleaders! (XFL rules!)

        Howdy Mick!
        I agree with all you've divined. My original "walking away essay"
        is at http://members.tripod.com/~dlane5/ex-eck.html ...check it
        out if you're at all inclined.... that was 5 years ago and I'd been
        "out" about a week... shortly thereafter I experienced a real bout
        with depression. My point of view has changed very little since then
        except at the time I still had a lingering feeling of doom headed my
        way, what with betraying the sugmad and all... :D
        David Lane was the only person who stuck with me at that time, he
        probably doesn't know how invaluable he was to me.
        I'm interested in anything you have to say!

        -Laurence ( Serious XFL Player :D )
      • run_slow@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 26 10:49 AM
          --- In eckankartruth@y..., "Eleven" <Pharmakon11@e...> wrote:
          "If I hear "It just is" one more time, as a means of remaining
          intractable, I think I'll bust! They don't seem to have any idea
          how devastating "It" can be to a person's reality tunnel, or they
          pretend they've already been through that stage--which of course they
          haven't, because if they had, they wouldn't be so cock-sure of
          all their pet new-age dogmas. . . .

          Anyway, I wanted to write some messages about the doctrinal teachings,
          if anyone is interested."

          It's undeniably true that we are shaped by our reality tunnels, and
          that it's helpful to try to see from other reality tunnels. According
          to Robert Anton Wilson, discussing humans in general and the models
          they use in their reality tunnels, "If the models do not fit very
          well, they do not revise them but grow angry at the world--at
          experience--for being recalcitrant." This is certainly true of
          many, many people in many aspects of their lives. But there is exactly
          one class of people who commonly and repeatedly revise their models to
          fit the observed facts, rather than the other way around. This class
          is scientists. Every practicing scientist can cite many examples where
          they've had to throw out cherished theories in the face of
          contradictory evidence. Is some pathological cases, a particular
          scientist is unwilling to throw away a theory despite overwhelming,
          contrary evidence. But even in these cases, the community of
          scientists will throw out the theory themselves. If willingness to
          abandon models in the face of contrary evidence is the mark of
          an enlightened human being, scientists are the most enlightened beings
          on the planet.

          Science gets us beyond the narrow categories imposed by geography and
          culture. In fact it's the only way we know to produce truth that
          applies to more than one reality tunnel. Newton's laws are as true (or
          as false) for a Dane in Copenhagen as they are for a aborigine in
          Australia. Although the choices of what to study and the uses to which
          science is put may be socially conditioned, the ultimate results of
          the experiments are not. Communist scientists doing the same
          experiments get the same results as capitalist ones. Male scientists
          get the same results as female scientists. European scientists get the
          same results as Oriental or African scientists. Edward Teller and
          Robert Oppenheimer argued about whether they should build the hydrogen
          bomb; they argued quite vehemently in fact. However, they did not
          argue about whether it could be built. Whether it should be built is a
          matter of politics and morals. That it was possible to build is a
          matter of science that Oppenheimer and Teller could not disagree on
          despite their very different reality tunnels.

          I'd be very interested in any insight you might offer on the direction
          of Eckankar doctrine, dogma, and how the international office works.

          run_slow