Re: eck speak

  • tomleafeater
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2007
      --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "zoey_true" <zoey_true@...>
      wrote:

      > think of the following passage in relation to eckankar. it should
      ring
      > some bells:
      >
      > "The group develops a jargon unique to itself, often non-
      understandable
      > to outsiders. This jargon consists of numerous words and phrases
      which
      > the members understand (or think they understand), but which really
      act
      > to dull one's ability to engage in critical thinking. It is
      actually
      > made up of thought-terminating cliches. The most far-reaching and
      > complex human problems are compressed into brief, definitive-
      sounding
      > phrases, easily memorized and easily expressed. Thought-provoking
      > complexities are bypassed and ultimate truth is expressed in a
      single
      > phrase or even a word."
      > Dr. Robert J. Lifton, Thought Reform and the
      Psychology
      > of Totalism, 1961
      >

      > zoey...

      This quote you've posted really does describe the eckankar mentality.

      Everything is reduced to a platitude, which is repeated over and
      over, until the original meaning is lost, after which the eckist
      becomes controlled by the platitude, rather than the original concept.

      "Thought terminating cliche" is a great way to phrase this.

      The eckist's thoughts and critical thinking comes to a halt with the
      thought terminating platitude.

      They have a nice, neat cliche' for nearly every situation. No
      critical thinking required. This is an aspect of eckankar culture
      that really had a dumbing down effect.
      .

      Leaf
    • tomleafeater
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2007
        Examples (feel free to jump in....)

        Q: Why did PT plagiarize?

        Answer: You'e thinking too much. If you could get above this, you'd
        see the answer.

        (I can't even begin to count the many times eckists at the A.R.E
        group have told me that!)

        Leaf

        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "tomleafeater" <tianyue@...>