eck speak

  • zoey_true
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2007
      think of the following passage in relation to eckankar. it should ring
      some bells:

      "The group develops a jargon unique to itself, often non-understandable
      to outsiders. This jargon consists of numerous words and phrases which
      the members understand (or think they understand), but which really act
      to dull one's ability to engage in critical thinking. It is actually
      made up of thought-terminating cliches. The most far-reaching and
      complex human problems are compressed into brief, definitive-sounding
      phrases, easily memorized and easily expressed. Thought-provoking
      complexities are bypassed and ultimate truth is expressed in a single
      phrase or even a word."
      Dr. Robert J. Lifton, Thought Reform and the Psychology
      of Totalism, 1961

      zoey...
    • tomleafeater
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2007
        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "zoey_true" <zoey_true@...>
        wrote:

        > think of the following passage in relation to eckankar. it should
        ring
        > some bells:
        >
        > "The group develops a jargon unique to itself, often non-
        understandable
        > to outsiders. This jargon consists of numerous words and phrases
        which
        > the members understand (or think they understand), but which really
        act
        > to dull one's ability to engage in critical thinking. It is
        actually
        > made up of thought-terminating cliches. The most far-reaching and
        > complex human problems are compressed into brief, definitive-
        sounding
        > phrases, easily memorized and easily expressed. Thought-provoking
        > complexities are bypassed and ultimate truth is expressed in a
        single
        > phrase or even a word."
        > Dr. Robert J. Lifton, Thought Reform and the
        Psychology
        > of Totalism, 1961
        >

        > zoey...

        This quote you've posted really does describe the eckankar mentality.

        Everything is reduced to a platitude, which is repeated over and
        over, until the original meaning is lost, after which the eckist
        becomes controlled by the platitude, rather than the original concept.

        "Thought terminating cliche" is a great way to phrase this.

        The eckist's thoughts and critical thinking comes to a halt with the
        thought terminating platitude.

        They have a nice, neat cliche' for nearly every situation. No
        critical thinking required. This is an aspect of eckankar culture
        that really had a dumbing down effect.
        .

        Leaf
      • tomleafeater
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2007
          Examples (feel free to jump in....)

          Q: Why did PT plagiarize?

          Answer: You'e thinking too much. If you could get above this, you'd
          see the answer.

          (I can't even begin to count the many times eckists at the A.R.E
          group have told me that!)

          Leaf

          --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "tomleafeater" <tianyue@...>