Where's Rodney King When We Need Him?

  • tomleafeater
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007
      On another internet forum, an insightful person raised the topic
      of religious conflicts between believers and non-believers, and
      he mused about how these conflicts will play out in time with
      Eckankar. Here's a response I banged out, which I decided to
      repost here:

      This is a topic I've thought about often, since I have frequently
      posted on a.r.e, and have been threatened, ridiculed, diagnosed,
      denigrated, and personally insulted in every manner imaginable
      by the denizens there. Naturally, it leads one to contemplate the
      nature of religious persecution and conflicts.

      Here's one of my thoughts:

      It seems to me that when a group claims to have an exclusive
      relationship with God, this is an attempt to become God's only
      agent, or intermediary, for all humankind. It is like an exclusive
      listing agents have to sell real estate. No one can get the
      property except through that agent. And religions that grow into
      millions upon millions of members have enormous power. They
      begin to separate the world into believers and non-believers.
      They begin to create doctrines that those who are not members
      will suffer in various forms, depending on the religion. It could be
      more incarnations, or burning in hell, or purgatory, or
      reincarnating as a dog, or even returning as a rock or mineral, as
      Paul Twitchell once suggested would happen to former
      followers.

      These are threats, but also these are devices that separate.
      Followers take these threats to mean the 'others' are less worthy
      than they are, and discrimination creeps into relationships with
      them.

      People are fighting over the ownership of God, as if God were
      property. And when those who are in the majority, or have
      enormous followings, have such doctrines, the 'others' are seen
      as Godless, and often are treated accordingly. In real terms, we
      know what has occurred down through history to the pagans or
      other groups that have found themselves on the wrong end of
      the power equation.

      This is why the most important realization I had in leaving
      eckankar is that no one is the exclusive intermediary for God,
      and anyone who makes such a claim is tinkering with one of the
      most horribly destructive and conflict generating concepts known
      in human history.

      God is not an anthropomorphic being that is picking and
      choosing this master or that saint to represent it. To suggest this
      implies a dualistic God with thoughts and opinions, and
      human-like purposes and motives, which is absurd.

      Kent