Don't Tell Jokes--Klemp isn't in the mood to laugh: A True Story

  • tomleafeater
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2006
      Here's a post from A.R.E. I wrote a while back. It's all about the
      excessively stiff culture that has become the norm in Eckankar. The
      Wisdom Note by Harold Klemp that prompted a thread on a.r.e. is
      included at the end of this post.

      ------------

      I have a funny anecdote to share. I was attending a major Eckankar
      seminar, and decided to have dinner in the hotel restaurant with a
      group of Eck friends. One of the group told a funny joke. We all
      laughed at the good natured humor, and this inspired another there to
      tell a joke, too. Soon everyone sitting at the table was telling more
      and more jokes, turning this into a hilarious moment for all of us. A
      couple of people told some (very, very slightly) off color jokes,
      which drew even more laughter.

      Later, in his evening talk, Klemp mentioned that some folks were
      telling dirty jokes during dinner in the hotel restaurant, and he
      proceeded to sermonize over the issue in his usual style, as if a
      dreadful act against Spirit had been committed. He thought it would
      give Eckankar a bad name to the hotel staff and to other observers,
      since it was a public place and many diners were sitting at tables
      all around us. He was aghast that there were "higher initiates" among
      the group who allowed this to continue.

      I suspect that some other H.I.s who had been overhearing us, while
      sitting quite stiffly at the table next to ours, had informed Klemp
      of our infraction of their notion of good taste (they should see some
      of the humor here on a.r.e., eh?). Sitting there listening in the
      audience with my mate - who had also been in on the evil deed - I
      found myself laughing silently to myself. It was one of those moments
      of lucidity and clarity I was beginning to be flooded with about the
      Eckankar culture and teachings.

      You see, the hotel staff loved us. We were exceedingly kind to them,
      and we were not haughty or holier-than-thou as so many Eckists had
      been at the tables around us (something which had been more and more
      observable in Eckankar as the years rolled by under Klemp's
      leadership). We had the waiter laughing hysterically right along with
      us. We left generous tips and when we left, the waiter and other
      staff members who had been serving had thanked us sincerely and
      profusely, as if a breath of fresh air had blown in to an otherwise
      dreary crowd of guests. I remember taking note of this observation
      before going in to hear Klemp speak. It was one of those subtleties
      that intrigues me about society and culture.

      And oddly, Klemp mentioned that the high initiates at the table
      hadn't shown leadership by correcting the behavior. I was one of the
      two high initiates among the guests at our table. No, I thought to
      myself, I didn't correct it, nor could I have even if I had tried.
      Sitting around me were people I liked to be with due to the fact that
      they were like an island of individuality with hues of vivid color in
      the mist of plain vanilla banality. These were decent, good people
      who were quite intelligent and very spiritual, but who had the
      unfortunate habit (thank God) of being a little different than the
      surrounding crowd. Some were a little more iconoclastic, some less
      so, but they were people I respected for these very reasons. They
      were my friends. The last thing I would ever have done is try
      to "correct" them in anything so trivial. Instead, I chose to honor
      them for being the way they were, for having spontaneity, for being
      so natural and delightfully unusual in the face of strong pressure
      from the kind of mentality Klemp was infusing into Eckankar, that of
      going with the herd. This mentality had been a part of Eckankar since
      its inception, of course, but it thrived under Klemp like yeast in a
      petri dish.

      Klemp's Wisdom Note brings it all back to me now. Once I began to
      spot this subtle manipulation which uses the delicate, finely woven
      threads of guilt and blame, it seemed to be everywhere in Klemp's
      writings and in other initiates, especially the "Brothers of the
      Leaf." I gradually began to think for myself again, looking around as
      if everything were anew, as if seeing for the first time in years.

      -Leafeater (see my additional comments below, and included is Klemp's
      Wisdom Note)

      The entire thread may be read here:

      http://groups-
      beta.google.com/group/alt.religion.eckankar/browse_frm/thread/a5b99435
      b88475af/93e57e3ffd25fe98?lnk=gst&q=joke%2C+harold%2C+seminar%
      2C+dinner%2C+waiter&rnum=1#93e57e3ffd25fe98

      For those who go back and read the thread, I have to chuckle a little
      at Colleen's and Samorez's responses to the quotes from Harold
      Klemp's Widom Note that were posted. Yes, this is what Eckankar has
      evolved to become in the last several years. Before I left, there
      were articles similar to this showing up constantly in the Eckankar
      writings. He always would make his accusations vague enough to keep
      everyone (except those who were most imperturbably convinced of their
      own righteousness) guessing about who the intended objects of his
      rantings were. In the last several years before I left, this kind of
      sermonizing created an atmosphere of insufferable conformity in
      Eckankar, as people shifted uneasily into line under his cryptic
      finger pointing. As Colleen wrote, they were being treated like
      children, and the children responded to their father's scolding by
      behaving more and more like good little children should. They became
      bland, churchy, and boringly submissive to the beaten path.

      Harold's Letter:

      Dear Ones in ECK,

      Some among the children of ECK engaged in mindless play. They delved
      into
      the secret places of others. Instead of directing their lives in a
      strait
      forward manner under the guidance of ECK, the Holy Spirit, they
      squandered
      their gifts and blessings.
      But they kept busy. Oh so busy. One day the Mahanta, the Living Eck
      Master
      gave a sermon. These idle children of Eck misread its meaning. How
      could
      it be otherwise?
      For you see, the passing of time had made a subtle transformation in
      them.
      they'd slid over from the children of Eck to the children of Kal, the
      negative force. It likes its followers to create trouble and
      disturbance.
      Kals hand took part in their play.
      Soon, riots took place in the streets of Eck, with bands of Kal
      Children
      pushing and shoving, coming to blows with their playmates at the
      least
      vexation.
      The faithful of ECK found shelter in the Temple of the heart. It is
      the
      house of truth and light.
      There was turbulence and strife without the walls of this Holy
      Sanctuary ,
      the refuge for those true in heart.
      They understood the Masters bidding. His sermon was a tool to build
      their
      spiritual lives and never to use as an excuse for the destruction of
      the
      innocent.

      Some people have been stumbled out of Eckankar because of these
      children of
      the Kal (who still are active members of Eckankar) are hurting
      them. They
      leave Eck and hate the Living Eck Master & Eckankar. But its nothing
      to do
      with Sri Harold or Eckankar. The best thing to do is to stay out
      of the
      Eck meetings and be faithful to the Living Eck Master. He will still
      take
      you there to Self realisation and God Realisation.

      Harold Klemp
    • prometheus_973
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2006
        Hi Leafeater,
        I really enjoyed reading this. It took me back to my
        ECK Semnar days when I was involved with set-up
        tear-down and almost everything inbetween.

        This was a time to revisit with and to make new friends.
        I would always have breakfast, lunch, and dinner with
        a different group of ECkists and we always had fun,
        were happy, and tipped well! We, also, included the wait
        staff when we were kidding around. It was a fun time.

        Did we share naughty jokes at times? Sometimes,
        but none were ever raunchy! Yes, Klemp is a real stick
        in the mud and his stiffness shows a lack of real people
        skills and problems with interpersonal relationships.

        Yes, I also agree that Klemp is very vague with his
        Wisdom Notes articles. The newest in the 12/2006
        Mystic World is a perfect example of this. I'll post it
        on the same page with the 12/2006 H.I. Letter (on
        ESA) so that everyone can compare the two.

        HK's much more direct with his H.I.s that with the
        Lower Initiates. Basically, the only difference with
        the H.I. material and the generic Lower Initiate
        material is that the H.I. crap just gives more tips or
        direction into the business side (Vahana/missionary)
        of the org.

        There are NO PROFOUND SPIRITUAL MESSAGES in
        the H.I. Letters or in the books for H.I.s Only! This
        is one of the best kept secrets of ECKANKAR!

        Thanks again for sharing this A.R.E. post.

        Prometheus

        "tomleafeater" wrote:

> [...]
        > the refuge for those true in heart.
        > They understood the Masters bidding. His sermon was a tool to build
        > their
        > spiritual lives and never to use as an excuse for the destruction of
        > the
        > innocent.
        >
        > Some people have been stumbled out of Eckankar because of these
        > children of
        > the Kal (who still are active members of Eckankar) are hurting
        > them. They
        > leave Eck and hate the Living Eck Master & Eckankar. But its nothing
        > to do
        > with Sri Harold or Eckankar. The best thing to do is to stay out
        > of the
        > Eck meetings and be faithful to the Living Eck Master. He will still
        > take
        > you there to Self realisation and God Realisation.

      • tomleafeater
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2006
          --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "prometheus_973"
          <prometheus_973@...> wrote:

          > Hi Leafeater,
          > I really enjoyed reading this. It took me back to my
          > ECK Semnar days when I was involved with set-up
          > tear-down and almost everything inbetween.

          > This was a time to revisit with and to make new friends.
          > I would always have breakfast, lunch, and dinner with
          > a different group of ECkists and we always had fun,
          > were happy, and tipped well! We, also, included the wait
          > staff when we were kidding around. It was a fun time.

          In the anecdote I shared, my friends and I had actually not seen
          each other in a good while, and thus it was truly a joyful and
          special reunion. These were people with whom I had gone
          caving and hiked in mountains, and with whom I had spent years
          of time, and so we were having a great, special moment with
          each other. I had moved from the area in which I once lived, and
          hadn't seen this very close group of friends in a while. These
          werre not the typical seminar groupies, who dutifully attend every
          seminar to see and be seen by the membership. Part of the
          reason they went to the seminar was to see my mate Lisa and I.
          Despite our attendance to the seminar, our having dinner in a
          public place did not actually involve eckankar and should not
          have been subject to eavesdroppers, and therefore any
          comment from any other person about our private conduct was
          particularly intrusive and meddling, no matter who Klemp or the
          eavesdroppers presumed themselves to be.

          As Colleen had commented in the A.R.E. thread, Klemp treats
          followers as if they are children who need to be reminded of their
          table manners. It is an attempt to micro-manage private social
          behavior. This is the sort of controlling mindset that one expects
          from Southern Baptists.

          > Did we share naughty jokes at times? Sometimes,
          > but none were ever raunchy! Yes, Klemp is a real stick
          > in the mud and his stiffness shows a lack of real people
          > skills and problems with interpersonal relationships.

          Exactly. And frankly, I'd heard Patti Simson tell dirtier jokes at a
          dinner table once. But to be very clear to any readers who might
          want to conclude we were "raunchy," this simply wasn't the case.
          There was one man at the table who told one or two off color
          jokes, which we all laughed at. We all knew him to be a colorful
          person, and that was what made him so likable. The rest of the
          jokes were the usual variety of funny, but tasteful jokes.

          Nonetheless, I must say that even if the jokes had been more of
          the dirty variety, a person eavesdropping on a private
          conversation, and a person being told the information second
          hand as Harold had been, cannot stand in judgement about a
          situation of which he has no personal knowledge.

          The person who had told the off color jokes was a mature adult
          who was much older than I was, and who was and is a highly
          sophisticated, educated and intelligent person, and my valued
          friendship with him would quickly have ceased if I, having been a
          "high initiate" had presumed to "correct" him. He wasn't the kind
          to comply like a child with opinions of proper social etiquette of
          others, even if such others were High Initiates.

          And frankly, I would not have it any other way. Anyone who makes
          a personal, judgemental comment to a large group about
          specific people in regards to their social mores as Klemp did
          that night reveals a person who truly lacks basic, common
          wisdom and experience. You don't rebuke people without first
          getting the facts, unless you want to engender an atmosphere of
          intolerance.

          The odd thing is that Klemp's behavior that night was truly the
          one example of bad taste in this story. He was engaging in the
          very sort of over controlling, goosestepping behavior that he has
          chided others for doing.

          One cannot sanitize every little act that may occur in the
          membership, even if one considers himself to be the Master of
          the Universe. People need room to breath, to be human, to have
          their harmless little pecadillos. Going about "correcting" every act
          of distaste is equivalent to becoming the Ann Landers of
          spirituallity, an attempt to be the moral arbitor in every little corner
          of the universe.

          > Yes, I also agree that Klemp is very vague with his
          > Wisdom Notes articles. The newest in the 12/2006
          > Mystic World is a perfect example of this. I'll post it
          > on the same page with the 12/2006 H.I. Letter (on
          > ESA) so that everyone can compare the two.
          >
          > HK's much more direct with his H.I.s that with the
          > Lower Initiates. Basically, the only difference with
          > the H.I. material and the generic Lower Initiate
          > material is that the H.I. crap just gives more tips or
          > direction into the business side (Vahana/missionary)
          > of the org.

          As I see it, the H.I. material is often far more revealing of the
          unsavory side of eckankar than the more public material, which
          is why it is often regarded as unsuitable for non-high initiates. In
          those publications, Klemp is able to rant in ways that might be
          unseemly to the public.

          > There are NO PROFOUND SPIRITUAL MESSAGES in
          > the H.I. Letters or in the books for H.I.s Only! This
          > is one of the best kept secrets of ECKANKAR!

          Agreed.

          > Thanks again for sharing this A.R.E. post.

          Glad you liked it!

          Kent