ET "Back In Business"

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
      Hi Everyone -

      I've changed my mind, I'm going to leave ET "as is".

      Things just get piled up - yep, they're still piled up although I'm
      very happy about getting *one* thing done that I've wanted to for
      quite awhile - fixing my rollers. I use these cloth-covered foam
      rollers with a wire inside so you can "close" them, and the wires had
      started poking thru the cloth. It was okay when only a couple poked
      thru, but I'd ended up with more unusable rollers than usable ones.
      So the other day I got them all sewed up.

      The thing is, sometimes I just don't feel like doing something, it
      might be just about anything - and with most things, we can just put
      it off until another time. But I can't do that with ET. It's "mine",
      my responsibility. And for awhile, I just really couldn't keep up
      with it, with paying attention to everything, etc. And then there was
      that recent b.s. that I was *not* in the mood for.

      Anyway, I still can't keep up with everything, including ET. So, I'm
      just going to go back to just doing the best I can, and *not* feeling
      obligated to necessarily keep up with everything here, comment, etc.

      It's sort of like my 40th birthday, when I woke up thinking wow, I'm
      40, I don't "have to" be nice anymore - unless I feel like it. <gg>

      So, I'm going to leave ET here "as is" because people have found it
      helpful and useful...but the thing is, I really don't want to be
      expected to "run" things here, I forget who originally said it
      somewhere, on another group years back around when I first started ET,
      that a "group" should sort of "run itself" and the discussions
      should't rely on the owner/moderator. Although there are other groups
      that are more "formal", and owner/moderators are very active, even
      assigning specific topics for discussion, etc., I don't feel that way
      about ET - I think of it more as a place where people can just drop by
      & yak, or whatever they feel like - as long as it's not "ecky"!! <gg>

      Okay - an example. This is a hamburger joint - no, let's make it a
      "beef" restaurant with everything from chateaubriand to burgers. Now,
      there may be comments about those crazy vegetarians who don't know
      what they're missing, but that's okay - it's not really "personal",
      across the street at the vegetarian place, they're horrified about us
      carnivores! But, we still basically get along. And we don't cross
      the street and start preaching the joys of red meat to the
      vegetarians. And vice versa.

      I've also decided to leave ET here because it annoys the eckthugs.
      <gg>

      I just need to feel free, and not feel tied down.

      Okay, that's it!!

      Gotta run, take care everyone, and I hope everyone in America is
      enjoying the holiday - and if you're not American, you can still
      celebrate our "Independence Day" with us because you're free of the
      tyranny of eckankult!!

    • tomleafeater
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon"
        <brighttigress@...> wrote:

> [...]
        don't know
        > what they're missing, but that's okay - it's not really "personal",
        > across the street at the vegetarian place, they're horrified about
        us
        > carnivores! But, we still basically get along. And we don't
        cross
        > the street and start preaching the joys of red meat to the
        > vegetarians. And vice versa.
        >
        > I've also decided to leave ET here because it annoys the
        eckthugs.
        > <gg>
        >
        > I just need to feel free, and not feel tied down.
        >
        > Okay, that's it!!
        >
        > Gotta run, take care everyone, and I hope everyone in America
        is
        > enjoying the holiday - and if you're not American, you can still
        > celebrate our "Independence Day" with us because you're free

        No problema....I think its working fine. No need to micro-manage
        it. Step in when you feel like it, don't step in when you don't. Post
        when you get the urge, don't post when you don't. It will be fine...

        Do what you want to do.

        Half the time the whole topic bores me to death, but other times
        I'm interested. I get the urge to post over on a.r.e. when I see
        other people getting stepped on, and I stay for awhile, then I get
        bored and can't stand it for a few months.

        Speaking of a.r.e., the fools over there think they have something
        to do with the degree of posting. When they get really, really
        backed into corners they suddenly discover the idea of "not
        giving the detractors any attention," as if they can starve us of
        something precious. This usually is the last resort after they go
        through a period of intensely slandering the eckankar critics.
        They've been in the slandering mode again, but it seems now
        they are trying to go into the "ignore the detractors" mode.

        After a while, the natural cycle will start back up again, and repeat
        itself, over and over.

        Funny, but I've advised them to ignore us for years. (Sometimes I
        pity them, and try to give them advice. Heh, heh)

        What it really comes down to is interest and motivation. It
        naturally waxes and wanes. Controversy stimulates posting,
        boredom causes it to die down. That's to be expected.

        I suspect, that with the new dumbing down of eckankar under
        klemp's direction over the last many years of his tenure (not that
        it wasn't dumb from the outset with PT), coupled with the internet
        having become so widely available to so many people, eckankar
        will attract a dumber clientele in the years ahead.

        And this effect has probably already been going on for years, as
        it is. Only the really gullible ones and the unbending, inflexible
        die-hards who refuse to see the facts will remain members of
        the group. Of course, there will always be the small few who
        actually derive some dubious benefit who will always remain.
        These are people who work for eckankar, and people who get a
        big ego-boost as mini-celebrities who work the seminar scene
        or who get published by eckankar. Some even make their living
        selling MLM products to eckists. What a culture!

        In any case, if an occasional well-meaning but sadly deluded
        and misled eckankar follower gets through to post a bit of
        nonsense here, it simply helps to provide stimulus. It relieves
        the boredom.

        Leaf
      • colleenmft
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
          Hi Leaf...

          It's always a pleasure to read your posts... I know that when you do
          engage here or at a.r.e., you have ethics and integrity.

          When you mentioned Klemp's "dumbing down" of eckankar, I'm amazed
          that he has the influence he does. His overall approach seems so
          weak to me, that I wonder how eckankar members reamin loyal to
          the "cause". But once he has kept the "true believers" dependent on
          him and compliant with the group of eckankar, he has succeeded.

          Going to the International Cultic Studies Association helped to
          remind me that no mater what the appearance of the group, the
          manipulation is quite common.

          My work with former clients also has been extremely helpful in
          helping me know the many levels of cult involvement and its
          influences.

          Thanks for being a clear and self-motivated participant here. And
          much success in your professional work.

          Regards,
          Colleen

          --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "tomleafeater" <tianyue@...>