Fwd: A Message From Caroline Myss

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2006
      Hi Everyone!

      Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend! Down below
      I've pasted Caroline Myss's Memorial Day newsletter,
      and it's so wonderful!! If you're not familiar with
      her, see: http://www.myss.com

      One of many things that bugged me about e-kult was its
      "teachings" against anything having to do with "social
      consciousness". The Twitchster said the only way to
      really help mankind was to give them a membership
      brochure. <gg> Seriously...in LTG III he
      specifically said how little he thought of those who
      went to the South back in the 60's for the civil
      rights movement, and in his "Cliffhanger" articles -
      you can see both versions at: http://tinyurl.com/moyjk
      - the top two search results have two different
      versions. Look for what he says about hospitals.

      Then, I think it was in the late 80's when there was a
      speciall announcement & discussion at Satsang with a
      heavy recruiting message - I believe this was around
      the time they started the public worship services.
      Anyway, among other things that made me feel a bit
      uncomfortable was that we were supposed to start doing
      volunteer work in order to "spread the word" and
      recruit new members. They specifically recommended
      that groups of eckists volunteer for highway cleanup
      crews, so that the name "Eckankar" would be seen on a
      highway sign - free advertising!!!

      So, I really like what Caroline Myss has to say!

      Have a good one!

      A Message From Caroline Myss

      MEMORIAL WEEKEND NEWSLETTER

      It’s been a long while since I’ve had the time to
      write a general newsletter to everyone. I’ve been more
      than busy writing my new book, ENTERING THE CASTLE,
      for months now and between that and teaching, I
      haven’t had the time to do any extra writing, even
      though so many ideas and world events have crossed my
      mind that I would have loved to write about. Recently
      I attended a conference on Sacred Activism that was
      held in Seattle, sponsored by Wisdom University
      located in San Francisco, and the combination of that
      event, Memorial Day weekend, and my manuscript now in
      the hands of my editor getting chopped to bits for the
      re-write process, I have the time to write a
      newsletter again.

      Memorial Day was a big deal for my family when I was
      growing up because my father served in World War II.
      He was a Marine who fought in the Pacific and he
      brought us up with strong, patriotic values and a deep
      love for this nation. I could sing, “From the Halls of
      Montezuma” before I was three-years-old…no kidding.
      Memorial Day meant something, as did all of the values
      that America stood for, not the least of which were
      all the First Amendment Rights. I majored in
      journalism in college – those were the days of
      Watergate and investigative reporters. Remember those
      types of reporters? I grew up in Chicago, home of the
      infamous Democratic National Convention. I can still
      see the riots in the street that took place as people
      stood on the streets proclaiming their political
      stands against a government that had gone to war
      immorally. They took on the government and put their
      lives on the line for what they believed…They spoke
      out against a government that had lied to them about
      the so-called righteous reasons for going to war and
      they took on the system. I remember that….I remember
      that…I remember my country – then. I remember they
      screaming, “No More War!” And do you remember that we
      weren’t afraid to speak out? That’s what I remember
      the most – that we weren’t afraid to speak out. We
      weren’t afraid to be Americans then. People can tell
      me that we aren’t afraid to speak out now, but that’s
      simply not true. We are afraid to express our opinions
      about what our nation is doing – we absolutely are
      afraid. We are afraid of our government and we are
      afraid of each other.

      When did that happen? When did we stop talking
      politics? When did it become impolite, rude,
      inappropriate, “non-new age” to discuss the
      “unconscious” activities taking place in world
      governments??????? How shall consciousness ever be
      brought into the arenas of politics if we ourselves do
      not discuss politics among ourselves? You can
      challenge me, of course, and tell me that this is not
      true – to which I would say, “This has been and this
      is my experience. People are afraid.” And I am with
      far more people than most of you reading this
      newsletter – I am with thousands per month and I have
      asked audiences, “Are you afraid to express your
      political opinions in public now?” – and you know
      what? The vast majority says, “Yes”. They are afraid
      of each other and they are afraid of government
      repercussions. The Patriot Act? Phone tapping? Library
      card Watch List for the books you are taking out?

      I remember the anti-war songs of that era…and that
      they were so popular. Remember that? We loved those
      guys…they were our heroes – then. Now if someone
      offers an opinion, his or her career is destroyed.
      Look at the Dixie Chicks…. I could care less about
      that group. I have never listened to their music and
      never will. I never listen to Country Western music,
      much less their opinion. But I am an observer of
      intrigues me. This is a nation created on the right to
      express an opinion – look what happens to people who
      do that. They are practically slaughtered and at the
      very least, they are banned from places as if they had
      Bird Flu. What are we doing? Have we forgotten that if
      we respond to people expressing their opinions like
      that, they will do the same to us???? We will be
      silenced?

      I marvel at the fact that in our contemporary
      spiritual culture, it is considered an absolute MUST
      to listen to a person carry on about their emotional
      past – their wounds and their painful history. You
      have to listen to that and not judge. My God, if you
      judge that, why you are considered insensitive and
      horrible and “unconscious”. Unconscious???? Because
      you are nearly cross-eyed from boredom as you listen
      to a person carry-on yet again about an injury that
      goes back 40-YEARS!!!!!! And yet, let someone bring up
      a current political issue that is worthy of discussion
      – REPEAT DICUSSION – and immediately fists get
      clenched and people chose sides and the
      “consciousness” crowd closes down. Hostilities rise
      and all hope of a discussion AMONG THE VERY GROUP THAT
      SHOULD BE CARRYING LIGHT AND INSIGHT AND HIGHER
      CONSCIOUSNESS INTO THE CHALLENGES FACING OUR SOCIETY –
      WHICH ARE SO MANY AND SO DIFFICULT – turns to attacks.
      I’ve seen it happen more times than I can count.

      I was attacked for attended this conference on Sacred
      Activism BEFORE I even went to the conference!!!! A
      few people noticed that peace activist Cindy Sheehan
      was scheduled to speak, thus, people were motivated to
      inform me that, “How could Caroline attend a
      conference with Cindy Sheehan?” First of all, what’s
      Cindy Sheehan got to do with MY decisions and my work
      on this earth???? She doesn’t control or influence
      what I do any more than I influence her. That is what
      FREE CHOICE is about. Secondly, what on earth
      motivates someone to respond in such a hostile way to
      my attending a conference? I was hardly going there to
      promote anti-American activities…What on earth were
      these people thinking??????

      Why would anyone comment about my attending a
      conference because another speaker was going to be
      there? (And she wasn’t even that good; let me add as a
      post script.) But that is not the point, is it?

      Now let me just report – as a journalist – on this
      conference. About 350 officially registered. By the
      time the four-day conference was over, 1,000 had come
      to attend the various events. The idea of being
      “active” once again in America had become an
      inspiration to them. They were seeking a voice, a
      means to make their Robert Kennedy, Jr. spoke at this
      conference (no comments about his past, please. I am
      not here to DEFEND his past or to PROMOTE his
      politics!) He spoke about the environment and he spoke
      about this government. He was direct and he was blunt.
      People found it refreshing to listen to him as he
      revealed the backroom agreements that had been made
      among the media moguls who promised to reduce all
      investigative reporting and upgrade all entertainment
      journalism. No reports of returning coffins from the
      war would be allowed on air; no interviews with angry
      soldiers; minimum coverage of anti-war protests,
      should they begin; absolute minimal coverage of all
      the proof that the government has that going to war
      was planned before 9/11; maximum coverage of celebrity
      divorces and scandals, etc. etc. etc. Keep America
      entertained – that was the goal. Americans would
      hardly notice that slowly but surely they were getting
      less and less foreign news reports and quality
      investigative reporting at home. No journalists
      challenged the White House at all. All questions were
      rehearsed. Anything that challenged this was
      considered “anti-patriotic”, a card that would be
      conveniently again and again and again and again until
      it finally silenced America entirely.

      Other speakers did presentations on various topics
      related to Sacred Activism or to their related fields.
      Some of the topics were intrigued; others were not. I
      was more interested in speaking to the audience
      members. I wanted to find out what motivated them to
      attend the conference – to “come out” of the passivity
      that has gripped America for years and once again
      become active in the future of their nation.

      NOW LET ME BE VERY CLEAR ABOUT SOMETHING: By ACTIVE, I
      DO NOT MEAN BECOME A REVOLUTIONARY!!!!!! Active means
      to become a person capable of discussing the future of
      this nation and the issues and problems facing this
      nation with the intention of finding ways of
      initiating positive change. These gatherings are NOT
      about choosing sides – that is, Democrats versus
      Republicans versus Libertarians versus Independents
      versus Whatever’s. These gatherings are about
      DISCUSSING THE FUTURE OF THIS COUNTRY AGAIN!!!!! They
      are open forums for the sharing of opinions and fears
      and options for change. That I would even have to
      emphasize these points is sad to me, but I feel I have
      to lest an onslaught of letters arrive in my mailbox
      admonishing me for being part of an underground
      revolution instead of attending an open forum of
      discussions about the future of this – MY nation.

      I have thought long and hard – more than I can even
      begin to tell you – I have anguished about the
      political atmosphere in this country. I have wanted to
      write about it for years now, but have hesitated and
      that in it has left me infuriated with myself. This
      spiritual culture of which we are a part BEGAN during
      the era of the Democratic National Convention and the
      Hippie Days and the Free Love Days and the drug
      culture days and the Vietnam Era. That’s when Guru’s
      and meditation and mysticism and eastern religions and
      Vatican II and the mystical transition of the sacred
      ritual of the mass shifted into the language of those
      present.

      The roots of who we are and the desire to be
      spiritually liberated go back to a REVOLUTION, just as
      the roots of who we are as Americans go back to a
      revolution. We took to the streets in the 1960’s
      because we wanted the right to express the “second
      wave” of power – the power of our soul to co-create
      our interior world. We wanted the right to LOVE who we
      wanted to love, to PRAY to the God that called our
      soul, to PERCEIVE REALITY without social, ethnic, and
      religious parameters, and to CREATE A PEACEFUL WORLD
      because we believed that conscious people could
      accomplish such a task. This was, after all, the Age
      of Aquarius…the age of light and we were the light
      bearers. We would become a conscious generation,
      bringing consciousness into all walks of life, which
      meant at the time that we would bring consciousness
      INTO THE WORLD, not just into our own worlds.

      But as the decades passed, we took the more cautious
      routes of consciousness. We took the internal healing
      path, the internal spiritual path (which for the most
      part is the same as the healing path), and we withdrew
      from creating too much commotion in the outside world.
      In fact, we started to have babied and families and,
      well, the rest is history. Now I hear people say to
      me, “I don’t listen to the news or read the paper
      because the news is just ‘too negative’”. What am I
      supposed to say to someone who tells me that? This
      type of comment comes from individuals who, at the
      same time, consider themselves “conscious”. How can
      you be “conscious” and not look at the world that
      feeds you? How can you not care about the world that
      you walk upon? If you, who say you are dedicated to
      living a conscious life, are not devoted to walking
      directly into the center of the social and political
      activities of our world, then who should? Is not the
      center of darkness exactly where the light should
      penetrate? We MUST open ourselves up again not as
      critics, but as people who want to listen and share
      ideas and become active agents for change when they
      feel called to make a difference. No one should be
      allowed to get away with saying, “But what can I do?”
      any more – not when you realize that this world is
      being run by but a hand full of individuals.

      Oh, at the conference, an announcement was made just
      prior to a guest speaker coming on stage that Karl
      Rove is up for indictment. It was on the blogs and
      still unofficial, but even at that, the crowd exploded
      with cheers. One woman said, “Finally, after five
      years, I can once again smell the sweet fragrance of
      justice in America once more.”

      So – that’s my report and those are my thoughts on
      this Memorial Day. As Americans, we have the RIGHT to
      express ourselves, the RIGHT to challenge the actions
      of our government. Our government serves US – that is
      the brilliance of the American system. When
      corporations run the government, however, that should
      send an alarm off deep in our American fiber. I
      remember hearing President Bush slip up (imagine that)
      in one of his talks – He referred to America as a
      “company” and not a country….I heard it myself.
      Caught….

      Happy Memorial Day, everyone. God bless this nation.
      May we return to the vision of our Founding Fathers
      and Mothers: the land of the free and the home of the
      brave.

      Love,
      Caroline

      Please note that ALL past Newsletters may be found at:
      Newsletters. Click on the Newsletter Archive and enjoy.

      Don't be deceived by a seemingly innocent program on "Spiritual Dreams" or "Past Lives" at your local library or community center! It's one of many ways Eckankar and other cults recruit new members. Learn the truth before you sign over your mind, heart, soul, and life insurance!! See a short intro video at: http://tinyurl.com/hw7p7 and check out the links at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eckankartruth