Some Background

  • Eleven
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22, 2001
      Hi Claire,

      It's been a busy week here. I just wanted to say thanks to this group for
      letting me "vent". I figure it's a part of a long overdue healing process
      for me.

      Anyway, I want to make a couple of things clear, if that's alright. I
      served as the RESA in NY for a year in 1990 (I think it was!). Anyway, I
      already had plans to go into the military at the end of the year and so I
      accepted Harold's invitation to serve as RESA on the condition it could only
      be for one year. He agreed. At the end of that year, I left, and told very
      few where I was going. I needed space to clear my head from all the
      outrageous nonsense I had been subjecting myself to for far too long.

      I'm sorry if I'm vague and don't name names here. I won't do that because
      I'm not on some kind of holy jihad against Eckankar members, and I doubt
      that gossiping about people by name has any merit at all. I do know though,
      what I believe about the organization; the damaging methods of psychological
      control it fosters, and the dangers of the irrational, fundamentalist
      thinking it encourages.

      I'm saying this because, frankly, if a person wants to condemn Eckankar and
      bring it down by digging up dirt on it, all they're really likely to get in
      the end is anecdotal evidence, like mine. Eckankar's policies are
      fastidiously devoted to maintaining a squeaky clean adherence to law. So I
      think the approach of trying to prove it's a dangerous cult is really
      missing the point.

      Is it a cult? Yes. I believe it is. Is it dangerous? Yes, I believe it
      frequently has been and continues to be so for many people. I base this on
      my direct and personal experience of leadership in the organization; of
      understanding how decisions are made, and the outrageous presumption that
      has allowed Eck leaders to intentionally meddle in the spiritual and private
      lives of others in service to their militant "protection" of the teaching's
      purity, and of their vision of the Mahanta.

      What I know about the infrastructure of Eckankar is based upon the state it
      was in in 1991. I do think that things have changed, i.e. become more
      entrenched and evolved since then. The abuses I experienced and also
      witnessed weren't local. They were largely perpetrated by individuals who
      operated and still operate at a national level in the U.S.

      Here is what I know about the reports: Certain highly trusted ESAs have
      access to them. When I was involved in all this, they called this group the
      ESA Council which was ancillary to the 8th initiates and above the RESA
      structure. I certainly wasn't a privy member, but I was a "brother" of
      someone who was. This individual is still highly placed. They flip-flopped
      in relation to me depending on how the political winds were blowing. At
      certain points they confided in me, and I know about the reports from our
      conversations. At other points, ironically, as a result of reports, they
      saw me through profoundly paranoid filters. I reaped the dubious benefits
      of both. This person, and one of their aspiring associates, also on several
      occasions made the mistake of quoting my own initiates reports back to me in
      passing conversation, as if having preternatural knowledge of my spiritual
      life. On each occasion, they were attempting to influence me. I felt
      violated.

      Anyway, yes. The personal initiates reports are always optional, but
      "problems", not surprisingly, do get reported with considerable diligence,
      and files do get built. That's the sad fact.

      Watcher:
      Drones are my word for HI's in eckankar who pretend to be one thing, when in
      fact they are another. They enjoy the idea that they are secret agents for
      the mahanta. They relay information, act as vehicles for manipulation, and
      warn others about the background of those who are perceived as a threat.
      Usually they find themselves drawn into a mentoring relationship with one of
      these "influential" ESAs. Their duplicity is motivated by ambition and the
      approval of a substitute parental figure. Generally, they're emotionally
      needy. We all know the type. Kind of like a Borg drone! ;-)

      I would have been one myself. I had all the markers. Only problem was, I
      didn't have a very compliant nature--although heaven knows I tried for
      years!

      Anyway, it's good to finally get this off my chest. I do appreciate your
      patience. Thanks to you all, and to you Sharon, for providing this forum.

      Mick

    • jr_watcher@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 23, 2001
        --- In eckankartruth@y..., "Eleven" <Pharmakon11@e...> wrote:

        "I'm sorry if I'm vague and don't name names here. I won't do that
        because I'm not on some kind of holy jihad against Eckankar members,
        and I doubt that gossiping about people by name has any merit at all.
        I do know though, what I believe about the organization; the damaging
        methods of psychological control it fosters, and the dangers of the
        irrational, fundamentalist thinking it encourages.
        . . .
        I certainly wasn't a privy member, but I was a "brother" of someone
        who was. This individual is still highly placed. They flip-flopped
        in relation to me depending on how the political winds were blowing. "

        Wouldn't an identification of this person as a warning to others still
        involved in the cult be helpful? Could you outline the methods of
        psychological control?
      • Hawksblood2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 23, 2001
          Osiyo. Hello. I am just putting two cents into the pot. I was in Eckankar for about 20 years. Why? I did learn alot but that was from the inner movement within me. I was always against all the rules and statements Ek made. I had the hardest time dealing with the fack that they think a second is higher then Jesus. They quote him often but they do not give him any kind of credit for being one of the most spiritual people here. Like Harold is. But to all thoese res. that make many decisions for most every body that think they are important. Really to who? If anybody knows a HI BOB L he was a good friend untill he gave advice to my Ex-wife and her boyfriend.Not only that he said he did not to my face. I was the one that sent them to him wishing that he would give Spiritul advice instead of physical. The Problem is that two many think they are better and greater then anyone else. For I did spend much time challanging them and they always lost. Including Harold the RES of NJ.Ther!
          e where many things being said a
          bout having Eck Vid readers. Still never happened. The ones that said they were were not allowed to read for Eckist. Sad I think. If anyone needs more info please email me. Hawksblood
        • Hawksblood2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 23, 2001
[...]
          • Bob Jones (yeah right)
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 23, 2001
              Watcher,

              I hope I'm being clear enough here that there is a network of fully
              sanctioned Ecakankar leaders who use an established but informal
              grapevine of rumor, gossip and hearsay, combined with information
              culled from various initiates reports, as leverage in maintaining
              what they perceive to be the integrity of the eck teachings and the
              organization of eckankar.

              I finally left because I could not condone these methods nor endure
              the invasive and outrageous presumption that fuels them. In the end
              all you have is my word that this was my experience and observation
              for many, many years. A person who reads what I describe has to
              decide what's true for themselves, right?

              I live my life by my own lights. I am by nature an unconventional,
              creative, and inquisitive person. I'm an iconoclast. I've always been
              vocal and experimental in my approach to life, and to my practice and
              teaching of eck. This frequently disturbed the more ignorant and
              sheltered among those I crossed paths with. I drew a great deal of
              fire on the rumor mill in eckankar, but at the same time was
              recognized as a dedicated, enthusiastic leader with some ability to
              inspire people.

              Eventually though, my spirit was about crushed by the weight of the
              censure and hypocracy I found myself subjected to almost constantly.
              The only reason I continued was because I do indeed love life, and I
              held an unreasonable belief that if I did, the consciousness of
              eckankar would right itself and eventually the teachings of the
              indvidual path to God would be reflected in the policies and
              structure of the organization. Sadly I was wrong.

              What I will not do though, is slander others, regardless of my
              perception of them. My experience itself should serve as a warning
              for people to seek life elsewhere. That should be enough input from
              me for any thinking adult, who isn't a complete fool, to make up
              their own mind about these matters.

              About the "methods" of psychological control: I think I've been
              explicit about that so far.

              Of course there's a lot more. But I haven't decided how or whether
              to approach it in this forum--not being certain even how useful it
              would be for me to do so.

              You see, I'm trying to heal--not go on a warpath.

              Mick

            • jr_watcher@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 23, 2001
                --- In eckankartruth@y..., "Bob Jones (yeah right)" <Pharmakon11@e...>
                wrote:

                > Of course there's a lot more. But I haven't decided how or whether
                > to approach it in this forum--not being certain even how useful it
                > would be for me to do so.
                >
                > You see, I'm trying to heal--not go on a warpath.
                >
                > Mick

                Good luck on your healing.

                I know a fellow with a similar background to yours -- ex-RESA, Sixth
                Initiate, that left Eckankar around 1990. He never mentioned this
                network, but he was always ranting about having to go through the EIO
                to get to Harold.