Storytime

  • violinmike2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2006
      For some reason I really like this story:

      An old Irish story tells of a farm woman who set out on the
      road, walking at a brisk pace. " Where are you going Maureen?"
      a neighbor woman asked
      " I'm going to Galway" said Maureen
      "Be careful" the neighbor woman warned. " You should say
      "I'm going to Galway, God willing"
      "Stuff and nonsense," said Maureen " I'm going to Galway
      and sure that's the whole of the matter"
      God thereupon waxed sorely pissed. He turned the poor woman into
      a frog and deposited her in a swamp with a few thousand other
      frogs, and there he left her for seven long, long years.
      All she heard or said for those dreary years consisted of
      "Gribbit! Gribbit! Gribbit" and an occasional more classical
      "Koax,koax, koax!" Everything saw was dank and dark like a
      scene from Poe, and all she had to eat were flies.
      " Its enough to bother a body," she thought mournfully on
      many a miserable and rainy day.
      At the end of seven years, God relented and allowed Maureen
      to resume a human form. She immediately climbed out of the
      sweamp, washed her clothes and hung them out on a hickory
      limb. When everything was dry the good woman dressed herself
      again and started out on the road once more.
      " Where are you going, Maureen?" asked another neighbor.
      " To Galway" she said, " or back to that damned swamp
      with the frogs.