Breaking News: Senior White House Official Indicted

  • Sharon Comstock
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2005
      (Hi Everyone!

      I felt this was a very worthwhile petition that others would be
      interested in signing no matter what their religious beliefs
      are. Bush & his cohorts have given Christianity a bad name, so
      please don't hold the Christian label against "Sojourners"!
      Here's the form letter! --sharon)

      In the week we mourned the death of the 2,000th U.S. soldier in
      Iraq, I. Lewis Libby, vice presidential chief of staff, was
      indicted today on five felony charges of perjury, obstruction of
      justice, and making false statements to the FBI in the grand
      jury investigation into the leak of the name of covert CIA
      officer Valerie Plame, whose husband, former Ambassador Joseph
      Wilson, had been critical of pre-war intelligence on Iraq.
      According to news reports, the investigation of White House
      deputy chief of staff Karl Rove will continue.

      This case goes well beyond petty intrigue and personal revenge.
      As people of faith, it is time to raise our voices and demand
      the truth about actions that - if proven in court - were threads
      of misinformation and manipulation that pushed our nation into
      war with Iraq and punished those who discovered credible
      evidence against it. With the prophet Isaiah we cry out: "No one
      calls for justice, nor does any plead for truth" (Isaiah 59:4).

      Click the link below to ask Congress for an independent
      investigation to determine if and how the Bush administration
      manipulated intelligence to justify war in Iraq.

      http://go.sojo.net/campaign/demand_truth/

      The indictment of Libby raises the possibility that top White
      House officials deliberately attacked someone who questioned the
      validity of the intelligence the White House used to claim there
      were "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq - intelligence that
      has now been discredited. More importantly, this indictment
      provokes further questions about whether going to war was simply
      an honest mistake based on bad intelligence. Are the alleged
      actions of Libby isolated incidents of revenge, or are they the
      tip of the iceberg in a conspiracy to mislead the American
      people into war?

      We demand a truly independent commission that will investigate
      whether the Bush administration deliberately misled our nation
      into going to war. Although creating an independent commission
      will not bring back the 2,000 American soldiers and tens of
      thousands of Iraqis who have died as a result of this war, it
      will nevertheless be a step toward restoring honesty and
      integrity to the nation's highest office.

      This is not a matter of partisan politics, nor of political
      revenge. It is a matter of uncovering the truth about why we
      went to war. Sojourners has worked for peace with justice for
      more than 30 years. We have been consistent and vocal opponents
      of the war in Iraq, and we take it seriously when voices of
      dissent become targets of intimidation for political gain. We
      have a long and consistent history of demanding integrity from
      our national leaders - from Nixon, to Reagan, to Clinton, and
      now the Bush administration.

      As people of faith, we believe that the authority for governance
      balances on a commitment to truth when leading a nation into war
      and putting at risk our lives and those of our "enemies." We
      will not stand by while our nation's elected officials "trust in
      empty words and speak lies; conceive evil and bring forth
      iniquity" (Isaiah 59:4b).

      We need your help to get 25,000 people to sign this petition by
      Wednesday. After you sign the petition, follow the instructions
      to forward this message to 10 or more of your friends, family,
      fellow churchgoers - anyone who believes in our call as people
      of faith to be prophetic voices of truth and peacemaking.

      Sign a petition asking Congress for an independent investigation
      of President Bush's administration to determine if and how
      intelligence was knowingly manipulated leading up to the war in
      Iraq.

      Blessings,
      The staff at Sojourners

      Take action today: