Alf's "Flounder a la Retz"

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2001
      (Can't find it, I'm doing this from memory...)

      1 - 1.5 lbs. white fish filets (flounder, whatever)
      Asparagus (fresh preferably, or frozen)
      Cheese (Alf uses cheddar)
      Seasonings (paprika, garlic, salt & pepper, lemon juice)

      Lightly steam asparagus. Flatten out fish. I sprinkled on a tad of lemon juice & some chopped garlic, but I put garlic on *everything*. Salt & pepper to taste. Lay asparagus out on fish & roll it up. Bake in 375 oven for about 20 minutes. Put cheese on top, sprinkle with paprika, return to oven & bake until cheese melts.

      I used orange roughy & havarti, and haddock & provolone.

      Serve with a nice salad.

      Alf...I forget what wine you recommended!!!

      I served it with chilled Pabst. <ggg>
    • al_radzik@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 9:47 AM
        --- In eckankartruth@y..., "Sharon" <brighttigress@y...> wrote:
        > (Can't find it, I'm doing this from memory...)
        >

        > 1 - 1.5 lbs. white fish filets (flounder, whatever)
        > Asparagus (fresh preferably, or frozen)
        > Cheese (Alf uses cheddar)
        > Seasonings (paprika, garlic, salt & pepper, lemon juice)
        >

        > Lightly steam asparagus. Flatten out fish. I sprinkled on a tad
        of lemon juice & some chopped garlic, but I put garlic on
        *everything*. Salt & pepper to taste. Lay asparagus out on fish &
        roll it up. Bake in 375 oven for about 20 minutes. Put cheese on
        top, sprinkle with paprika, return to oven & bake until cheese melts.

        Very good Sharon! two things one should remember about this recipe I
        recieved from the Emeril Lok is that I sauted the garlic and lemon in
        a little olive oil before splashing it over the asparagus. Then after
        you roll the flounder, you hold it together with a toothpick.

        > I used orange roughy & havarti, and haddock & provolone.

        You can certainly improvise and since all of this came to me from the
        inner planes, you may interpret it totally differently. BTW, Havarti
        cheese sounds good..I think I will try it.

        > Serve with a nice salad.

        light rasberry vigniarette....

        > Alf...I forget what wine you recommended!!!

        A nice chardonnay.

        > I served it with chilled Pabst. <ggg>

        That'll work. You don't put ketchup on this dish by any chance??

        Another recipe:

        Coquilles de la Quantz

        1-2 lbs of fresh scallops
        container of fresh mushrooms(chopped)
        3-4 shallots (chopped)
        1 cup milk
        1/2 cup heavy cream
        1 cup dry white wine
        1 stick of butter
        flour
        parsley
        paprika

        1. Saute chopped shallots, parsley, and chopped mushrooms in butter
        and wine till wilted. Add scallops and cook for a few more minutes.
        Do not overcook scallops. They turn into rubber balls! Salt and
        pepper to taste and remove from heat. Put mixture in bowl but keep
        liquid in frying pan.
        2. Put liquid back on stove and add 1 tblsp of butter. Turn up heat
        and slowly add cream and milk. when it comes to a boil start whisking
        flour in to give it a thick saucy consistency. Take off stove.
        3. Put the scallop/mushroom/shallot mixture into several small
        aluminum tins (about 6 oz.) Pour the sauce into each tin, just
        covering the mixture.
        4.Sprinkle the top of each tin with paprika and parsley. Put under
        broiler for a minute or so until cream sauce brown a bit.

        Serve with dry white wine and freshly baked french bread.

        Feeds 4 (unless you are Jesus) Then you can feed a whole wedding!

        Alf

        A recipe to avoid:

        A couple of friends of mine went to Alaska back in the 80's. While on
        the trip they were running low on supplies and couldn't find a store
        to replenish.....so they made do with what they had:

        1 can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
        1 can of Spam.

        Billy started a fire and Kevin opened the cans. They first fried the
        Spam over a high heat until golden "green".
        Next they gently poured the Cream of Mushroom soup over the Spam and
        slowly cooked for several minutes.

        From what I can gather, Billy's assessment of the experience was
        that:
        1. It smelled awful
        2. It looked terrible
        3. It tasted like shit

        Soon they found a store and restocked.

        Alf
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1 7:12 PM
          --- In eckankartruth@y..., al_radzik@y... wrote:
          > --- In eckankartruth@y..., "Sharon" <brighttigress@y...> wrote:
          > > (Can't find it, I'm doing this from memory...)
          > >

          > Very good Sharon! two things one should remember about this recipe I
          > recieved from the Emeril Lok is that I sauted the garlic and lemon in
          > a little olive oil before splashing it over the asparagus.

          Interesting!! I don't remember your mentioning to saute the garlic & lemon (how do you saute lemon juice???) in olive oil first!!

          I use the pre-chopped garlic in the jars. It's much easier, especially when you give it to the critters every day!

          Then after
          > you roll the flounder, you hold it together with a toothpick.

          I remembered that. Figured people would have common sense enough
          to do it!

          You know, it's funny...my David *loved* this recipe!! He grew up on fresh garden asparagus, eaten right there while it was still screaming from being picked, and always refused to eat storebought, raw *or* cooked!

          I guess our tastes change as we grow up...he's not that fond of fish, either, since <ggg> the only way I could get him to eat it as a kid was to bread & fry chunks & call it "McNuggets"!! He never had "real" McNuggets, so he didn't know the difference. He's eating fish more often now, though...and not always breaded & fried.

          Hey...they kid's even eating broccoli!!! He said it's not bad in mixed veggies.

          > > I used orange roughy & havarti, and haddock & provolone.
          >
          > You can certainly improvise and since all of this came to me from the
          > inner planes, you may interpret it totally differently. BTW, Havarti
          > cheese sounds good..I think I will try it.

          I improvise *everything*!! I think the Havarti went well with the orange roughy's delicate & distinctive flavor.

          > > Serve with a nice salad.
          >
          > light rasberry vigniarette....

          Hey...speaking of raspberries, a berry bush sprung up where my maple
          used to be before the windstorm! I think they're black raspberries!

          > > Alf...I forget what wine you recommended!!!
          >
          > A nice chardonnay.

          Hmmmmm...I could swear you recommended something else, or maybe I'm
          thinking of a wine you recommended just for "general" use... all I
          can think of is "Pinot Gregoire" or something? I'm probably wrong!

          Anyway...the print-out is around here somewhere!

          > > I served it with chilled Pabst. <ggg>
          >
          > That'll work. You don't put ketchup on this dish by any chance??

          If anyone even *tried* to put ketchup on it, I'd shoot them!!!

          I don't like ketchup at all. Just keep it around for friends.

          > Another recipe:
          >
          > Coquilles de la Quantz
          >

          > 1-2 lbs of fresh scallops

          <giggle> I only buy them when they're "reduced" --- the ones I
          had earlier this week had perhaps a few hours to go before the
          cat wouldn't touch them!!

          > 3-4 shallots (chopped)

          Aren't shallots wonderful? I grew them years ago!!

          This recipe sounds *awesome* and I *will* try to make it one of these days!! My main problem is...broiling! I'm even worse at broiling
          than at cooking on a grill!

          > Feeds 4 (unless you are Jesus) Then you can feed a whole wedding!

          Geez, Alf...what the heck kind of Christian are you? Jesus does turning water into wine at weddings, and feeds the multitudes doing
          Sermons on the Mount!!! <ggg>

          > A recipe to avoid:
          >
          > A couple of friends of mine went to Alaska back in the 80's. While on
          > the trip they were running low on supplies and couldn't find a store
          > to replenish.....so they made do with what they had:
          >
          > 1 can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
          > 1 can of Spam.
          >
          > Billy started a fire and Kevin opened the cans. They first fried the
          > Spam over a high heat until golden "green".
          > Next they gently poured the Cream of Mushroom soup over the Spam and
          > slowly cooked for several minutes.
          >
          > From what I can gather, Billy's assessment of the experience was
          > that:
          > 1. It smelled awful
          > 2. It looked terrible
          > 3. It tasted like shit
          >
          > Soon they found a store and restocked.

          You've gotta be kidding! ROFLMAO!!!!

          Don't your friends know this dish *must* be served over canned
          Chow Mein noodles? No wonder it didn't work for them!!

          Hugs,

          me.