ESAs and a response to A.R.E.

  • Eleven
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2001
      I'd like to respond to Sharon's and Randy's notes. Thank you first of all.
      There is a great deal I might say by way of the cult behavior of the HI
      network in Eckankar. But I'd first like to be careful that I don't fall
      into the same trap of solipsism that is the cornerstone of the Eck
      mentality. These people cannot judge because they have no basis on which to
      arbitrate truth (or any of its variations). I need to remember that, and be
      extremely careful, as I venture into this process of speaking out.

      What I say is entirely from the perspective of my own knowledge and
      experience. I'm not qualified to globalize and say "This is how it is."

      First, as far as my dishonesty on A.R.E. Of course I was dishonest. I was
      there for one reason--to observe--to watch the responses of the Eck
      followers to various stimuli and situations. I put out what I felt I needed
      to in order to get telling responses. I don't feel bound by the moral
      double standards of others. I have enough of my own thank you! This isn't
      to say I didn't express myself honestly. I did much of the time--especially
      when expressing my sense of spirituality, and my take on certain subjects
      like Eck Masters and PT's invention of Eckankar. I even posted a series of
      messages about the mythical (and necessary) role of "the trickster" in the
      inception of things. I figured some people might catch on. I guess they
      eventually did. Good for them!

      As far as attacking me. I understood that slander will continue and even
      intensify when I signed my message here with my identifying signature.
      These people have no regard for facts. They simply need to win. That's ok
      with me now. Their evaluation of me as a human being no longer has any
      psychic leverage with me. I can say without hesitation--I am flawed. I am
      a scorpion. I am an ignoramus. They can strike any way they care to. It
      merely reflects their own vehemence and shallowness.

      When I stopped participating on the list, I thanked them and told them I had
      attended for a specific reason and thought I had gotten what I came for.
      They knew I had intent. Anyway, that was a number of years ago. I still
      had more to go before I was totally convinced that Eckankar as a path was a
      loss. I still held out hope there might be something salvageable for me
      personally, though I was fairly certain that nothing much had changed for
      the better in the organization.

      In fact, the kind of inane debates that went on in that forum was proof
      enough that the lunatics (so to speak) had indeed taken over the asylum.

      As far as Sharon's question about ESA sessions. The ESA program was
      certainly an idea for a service that may have been useful for many students.
      And I believe that in fact it does provide some comfort for people to have
      an ear to listen to them. Make no mistake though, it does serve double duty
      as a way to keep a finger on the pulse of things. Eckankar harbors an
      almost obsessive fascination with a mythical state called "balance". This
      "balance", of course, more often than not translates into maintaining a
      compliant, unimaginative, and highly conventional way of experiencing and
      understanding the world. It is never actually defined, but most certainly
      it is seen as a static state that one must consciously maintain. This
      equates to a habit of repression of genuine impulses and individual
      expression. There is no awareness of spiritual process, and the often rough
      seas that must be crossed for a person to find one's own true center.
      Originality, individuality, and the trials of initiation are given lip
      service, but only dimly understood. Individuality, imagination, and
      unconventional perspectives are seen as marks of aberration.

      As far as payment, it was my experience that payment was indeed not insisted
      upon except in the special sessions with the LEM or the eighth initiates. I
      never "charged" and don't know of anyone that did. It's a great way to draw
      people into the sacred trust, to open them up; to get a view on things.

      Let me say here also that the use of the ESA as a watchdog program as far as
      I know, is limited to a small group of extremely influential ESA's (and
      their more extensive network of drones)----this is the ESA Council most of
      whom are former RESAs and whose membership is largely unknown. A hidden
      system of stratification is used so that every level, most often believes
      they are fully involved in what's "really" going on. (Here comes a run-on
      sentence!) These ESAs not only use any information (true, erroneous, or
      unverified) that flows into their whirlpool for political purposes, and for
      protecting whatever it is they feel they need to protect, they are also the
      ones who have access to the initiates reports that get sent in. In certain
      cases, they will take on a person's "case" using this information in order
      to attempt to influence, control, or recruit them as drones. Thus, the
      uncanny knowingness they sometimes seem to display. I don't think it's fair
      to compare Eckankar to Scientology in all of this though. Eckankar, for the
      most part is more complex because of its endemic unconsciousness. Chronic
      denial has it's long-term "benefits". It allows you to remain "sincere" in
      the midst unconscionable abuse. You can ask me. I can tell you all about
      that! But, in the end I spent several years in a deep depression,
      struggling to regain my self from psychic complexes I had internalized
      through the Eck teachings, as well as all the patterns of mind-numbing
      subterfuge I unwittingly stepped into in my service to Eckankar.

      In a way, these people need enemies, so they create them and cultivate them,
      not on a conscious level of course. They create enemies by believing their
      occult machinations are truly hidden and above the law. The ostrich hides
      it's head and believes it goes unnoticed. I doubt I would feel the way I do
      now, if Eckankar leadership held policies that honored the unique
      spirituality of each student, rather than attempting to hammer down any nail
      that sticks out. Anyway, I don't consider myself an enemy these days. I no
      longer hold anger or rancor toward these people individually. I do feel I
      understand them better now that I'm coming to understand my own journey
      through Eckankar, and certain other pathological relationships that I have
      allowed to violate me.

      My anger, which still flares brightly is at myself, for not listening to the
      voice of my better angels, as Abraham Lincoln might have described it. And
      it's compounded by the deep disappointment that is necessarily a part of
      shedding the illusions of maya on life's journey. I still ache at having
      not trusted my heart. So much damage might have been avoided--to myself and
      to others whom I have damaged in all this.

      Mick Roche

      I grant permission for this essay to be reproduced, distributed and posted
      to A.R.E. in complete and unaltered form.
    • jr_watcher@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 17, 2001
        Mick Roche wrote:
[...]

        I find this fascinating. Can you elaborate on the operation of the ESA
        Council? I've never heard of this group. Who are the people that have
        access to initiate reports? How does this drone thing work?
      • seraphim279@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 24, 2001
          Hi Mick,
          Myself, I do not feel it's dishonest to do research... I did
          some myself the earlier part of this month on a.r.e. I posted
          "eckankar produces machines" just to see what response I'd get.
          In another post, "What is eckankar" I replied that it is a
          mind-emotion control cult that appeals to many with a deeply
          seated inferiority complex because it constantly bolsters and
          feeds the super ego of eckists.
          To get around a.r.e for a while reminded me of how, at one time,
          I was conditioned to think and to respond... like a machine.
          When I threw all that negativity their way they all acted in a
          predictable, programmed manner and out comes the eckankar dictionary,
          and the shariyat and Strangler By The River, (intentional strangler).
          eckists simply cannot acknowledge or even see that their thinking
          and feeling is done for them.
          At times I fed undeserved praise on the eckists with the predictable
          result of satiated super-ego. And so, I say call your "dishonesty"
          research, which is a God-given right we all have.
          eckists like to eat shit sooooooo... I feed 'em with a shovel
          sometimes!
          -Lots of Healing my friend :D
          -Laurence