Re: [eckankartruth] Question??

  • Ganesh622@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2004
      As far as I know (and I didn't even make it to the 2nd initiation) you can
      write in to headquarters and tell them fini........its over baby.Thats what I
      did.They gave me a real polite letter back wishing me the best.I smelled a rat
      that early.
    • brighttigress@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2004
        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, phebs04255 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > Ok, can I ask kind of a silly question...how come you have to resign
        from Eckankar, can't
        > you just up and leave without a resignation letter or informing the
        Church?

        Actually, Wendy, this is a very good question!

        Some members leave simply by not renewing their membership. And at the
        other extreme, one former member asked what the "proper" procedure for
        resigning was - they'd been looking through the books and materials but
        couldn't find anything.

        The cult allows members to take up to five years as a "rest period", with
        no loss of initiations or study time. But members are told that while
        you're "resting", everyone else is zooming ahead spiritually while you
        stagnate. To be honest, I don't remember if you officially lose the
        "protection" of the "mahanta" during rest periods - I took a one-year rest
        once, and was a bit nervous about that point. But I was also a tad bit
        annoyed that I didn't feel like I was getting a "rest", I felt like I was
        still learning & growing spiritually, everything seemed exactly the same.

        I took the "rest" period back in my 40's - I'd gone back to school and
        the work load was so heavy I couldn't really give any time and attention
        to studying the discourses, doing the "spex", etc. Also, I think I was
        sort of "punishing" myself. The cult is adamant about "no drugs" - heck,
        even cigarettes are a big no-no and the cult claims the "master" won't go
        near anyone who's smoking, but I never found that to be true. Anyway, one
        day I was in a long line at school, and noticed a rolled-up baggie on the
        floor, so I picked it up. I sort of laughed about it, hundreds of young
        people lined up and no one else saw it - but I'm a mom, and just have the
        habit of always skimming my surroundings, including the floor, and picking
        things up. <gg> Well, I sort of held it up and asked if someone had
        dropped it, but no one else claimed it. It was obviously top quality
        stuff - huge golden buds with beautiful red streaks, no seeds or "shake"!

        Anyway, I'd been having some problems sleeping and just generally being
        tired out, and pot had *always* knocked me out nicely, plus dried up my
        sinuses. So part of me felt like this baggie was a gift from Suggie! On
        the other hand - drugs are a big no-no. I even talked my situation over
        with an HI, who didn't really give me any "advice" one way or the other.

        I couldn't destroy it - no way! But I also couldn't sell it or give it
        away, as that would be harming someone else. So I decided to look on it
        as a gift, and I smoked it. No regrets about my decision, but I felt it
        would be hypocritical to do anything other than take a "rest".

        Anyway, I think most people are like me if they leave because of the
        "evidence" and not just sort of "drift away" on their own, as many do.
        My resignation letters are located at
        http://www.angelfire.com/hi2/eckankarsurvivors/data.html

        At first, I was a bit shaky and unsure, so I felt a bit comfy at the
        thought that I'd still have that five-year period in case I changed my
        mind. But by the second time I resigned, I wanted *all* ties to the cult,
        inner and outer, severed *immediately*.

        They didn't accept my resignation immediately. I'm pretty sure someone at
        MN was watching a.r.e., because in response to my short resignation note,
        they sent back a letter reminding me that I'd lose my initiations, etc.,
        and if I decided to come back, I'd have to start all over again at the
        beginning, and they wanted to make sure they knew what I was doing. I
        felt the letter was threatening. Anyway, as they requested, I signed it
        and ran it right up to the mailbox - I *needed* to do this to really feel
        "free" - sort of like okay, maybe I could leave, but I just wanted to make
        sure they cut the ties on their end, too. And you can't imagine how
        incredibly wonderful I felt when I mailed it!!

        I think formal resignation shows just how deeply the cultic mind-control
        goes, when former members need to *ask* for their freedom, instead of
        simply taking what was always theirs to begin with.

        In the cult, the monthly membership discourses aren't looked at like a
        home-study program or uplifting newsletter type thing. They're just a
        little "outer" manifestation of the personal "inner" lessons members are
        told they're getting. Twitch even wrote about this back at the beginning,
        in either Illuminated Way Letters or Compiled Writings, that e-kult's
        discourses had these special higher vibes than the "lessons" of other
        spiritual groups.

        Also, there are many warnings about the horrible things that can happen if
        a non-eckist sees the discourses. First of all, spiritual growth *stops*
        for the eckist who lets this happen. And secondly, terrible things can
        happen to the innocent non-eckist, because of all the upset of those high
        eckvibes clashing with low non-eckist vibes.

        >I am a non
        > eckist so I am a bit naive to some of this, but thanks to Sharon, Paul
        and Liz, I have a better insight into Eckankar, its nice to know all the
        information I can, I am a researcher,
        > ok not a professional one LOL but I enjoy research of any kind and this
        religion is quite
        > eye opening....

        I've enjoyed sort of looking at it all through your eyes, too - it helps
        me to realize how actually most "normal" people can see all this eckancrap
        for what it truly is almost *immediately*, and there's absolutely no
        danger of their getting lured in and trapped!

        Take care now!

        Ho Ho Hugs!

        Sharon
      • weatherby_240
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 19, 2004
          As far as I know, you don't need to send them anything to resign.
          They sent me a questionaire, but I never felt the need to respond at
          all, maybe because I never really felt a part of it deep down.

          --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, phebs04255 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > Ok, can I ask kind of a silly question...how come you have to resign
          from Eckankar, can't
          > you just up and leave without a resignation letter or informing the
          Church? I am a non