question for former HIs

  • fishnik2004
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
      i recently found out that a RESA i respected stepped down out of
      the position. i have no idea what her reasons were, but i do
      know that this is a person of integrity. at any rate, i wondered who
      would be the replacement. this particular eck community has
      quite a large number of long time members, quite a large
      number of HIs, and a number of suitable candidates for the
      position. when i discovered who had been assigned the post i
      was really quite surprised. my eck friend told me that it was the
      Mahanta's decision etc etc that this person be RESA.

      now my question is this (for any former member who has some
      insight into the inner workings of the organization): what ARE the
      mechanics in such a decision? is the decision made by the
      sitting RESA, or made up at headquaters? does someone
      meditate on it and attempt to ask a Mahanta, or is it a purely
      practical decision - such as choosing a person who will carry the
      company line??

      hoping u will weigh in on this, sword and sharon.

      fishnik
    • sandrafdnc
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "fishnik2004" <fishnik2004@y...> wrote:

        > i recently found out that a RESA i respected stepped down out of
        > the position. i have no idea what her reasons were, but i do
        > know that this is a person of integrity. at any rate, i wondered who
        > would be the replacement. this particular eck community has
        > quite a large number of long time members, quite a large
        > number of HIs, and a number of suitable candidates for the
        > position. when i discovered who had been assigned the post i
        > was really quite surprised. my eck friend told me that it was the
        > Mahanta's decision etc etc that this person be RESA.
        >
        > now my question is this (for any former member who has some
        > insight into the inner workings of the organization): what ARE the
        > mechanics in such a decision? is the decision made by the
        > sitting RESA, or made up at headquaters? does someone
        > meditate on it and attempt to ask a Mahanta, or is it a purely
        > practical decision - such as choosing a person who will carry the
        > company line??
        >
        > hoping u will weigh in on this, sword and sharon.
        >
        > fishnik
        ~~~~~~~~~

        Hi Fishnik,

        The RESA of our state stepped down about a year after I left eck, his wife was quite ill. Believe it or not some eckists were upset that he put his family before the org. I knew this man personally, quite a decent fellow, he was state resa when I joined in the mid 80's, I'm guessing that he held that position twenty years or more.

        Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!!

        Sandra
      • Elizabeth
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004

          fishnik2004 <fishnik2004@...> wrote:

          now my question is this (for any former member who has some
          insight into the inner workings of the organization): what ARE the
          mechanics in such a decision? is the decision made by the
          sitting RESA, or made up at headquaters? does someone
          meditate on it and attempt to ask a Mahanta, or is it a purely
          practical decision - such as choosing a person who will carry the
          company line??

          **** Before I left eckankar last year, the requirements to becoming a RESA were; you had to be an eck spiritual aid, which also meant you had to be a 6th initiate.  Of course in some States/Countries where there are not necessarily anyone that meets that requirement, they pick from those H.I.'s that are available, or have someone from a near by State or Country be the RESA of that area.  (some RESA's can be in charge of numerous areas at one time until someone is qualified.)  Also from what I was told, the EckSpiritualCenter does to some degree go by the recommendation of the former RESA, and those that are spiritual aids.  Also the person that is being looked at for this position would need to be in good standing as far as keeping their membership current, no blemishes on their record etc....

        • fishnik2004
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
            --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth
            <whitefeatherliz@y...> wrote:

            > fishnik2004 <fishnik2004@y...> wrote:
            >
            > now my question is this (for any former member who has
            some
            > insight into the inner workings of the organization): what ARE
            the
            > mechanics in such a decision? is the decision made by the
            > sitting RESA, or made up at headquaters? does someone
            > meditate on it and attempt to ask a Mahanta, or is it a purely
            > practical decision - such as choosing a person who will carry
            the
            > company line??
            >

            > **** Before I left eckankar last year, the requirements to
            becoming a RESA were; you had to be an eck spiritual aid, which
            also meant you had to be a 6th initiate. Of course in some
            States/Countries where there are not necessarily anyone that
            meets that requirement, they pick from those H.I.'s that are
            available, or have someone from a near by State or Country be
            the RESA of that area. (some RESA's can be in charge of
            numerous areas at one time until someone is qualified.) Also
            from what I was told, the EckSpiritualCenter does to some
            degree go by the recommendation of the former RESA, and
            those that are spiritual aids. Also the person that is being
            looked at for this position would need to be in good standing as
            far as keeping their membership current, no blemishes on their
            record etc....

            thanks for the response, elizabeth. i kinda knew the official
            requirements, such as good record, initiation level, etc. i was
            wondering more along the lines of whether or not this is really a
            spiritual decision, at least in their own minds. like, does
            someone "ask the ECK", and this kind of thing. OR, is the
            decision more just an organizational business decision. for
            example, do they choose someone who has proven themselves
            as company men. i know that sword was once privy to some
            inner workings, how decisions were made, etc. i was hoping he
            might share a word. fish
          • Paul Olson
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004

               Hi Fish,

              I was never a resa so I am reluctant to respond to this one.  I think company line and the past resa’s reccomendation weigh heavilly in this.  I kinda doubt harold even takes part in the decision, but once again, I have no solid info to give out here.

              While I was an h.i., I would occassionally get calls from the resa regarding if a person should be granted the next initiation, usually when the resa didn’t personally know the person.  Sometimes I’d say yes, no, or I don’t know and usually about 6 weeks later, if I had said yes, the person suddenly got a pink slip.....

              I recall one case where an elderly 4th initiate who had only been one for a year or so instead of the usual 5-7 years had just had a heart attack and was expected to die in the next few weeks....3 of us sent in a letter to the initiation desk at EIO and a pink slip arrived about a week later.

              Sword