Re: HCS & Membership Cards

  • fishnik2004
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2004
      --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "incensestiks"
      <dustyrose@c...> wrote:
      > Just cross posting this so it will be seen by the optimal amount
      of
      > people....
      >
      > Yes, the Higher Consciousness Society does give people membership
      > cards, after sometimes forcing them to become members, as was
      such,
      > in my case.
      >
      > A friend had sent me a copy of Ford's "Confessions" book. I have
      > admit, I had a very, very hard time reading it. It was way too
      eckie,
      > and Higher Con gratifying, for me. And I've never been able to
      read
      > the second half, about the "Great Work".
      >
      > I'd lent it out a couple of times, and the people took forever to
      > read it and didn't want to return it to me. For a few months I had
      > been hearing that Ford was giving away free copies but couldn't be
      > bothered, until I realized that somewhere along the way I'd
      probably
      > lose my copy, one day, to someone who wouldn't return it. I want
      > hang on to it as reference to the con job. So, I wrote in to
      Ford's
      > site saying I had been hearing they were giving out free copies to
      > pass on to people. Darrell wrote me back, saying they give out
      > copies, but you must become a member of the Higher Con Society
      before
      > they will send them. Then he gave me directions on how to sign up
      for
      > membership at the site. I balked inside about this, then thought,
      > well, it can't hurt if it will get me a book to lend out so
      Eckists
      > can see the truth about Eckankar, although I'd like to rip out the
      > second half of the book. Plus, I don't buy into their crap anyway,
      so
      > I signed up for the 3 free books to lend to others.
      >
      > 4 months later, still no books. And I've heard this has happened
      > others. They are promised books that never show up. I
      thought, "F***
      > it!" Then said, Nah, I am going to make them honor their promise.
      > So, I wrote Darrell. He fell all over himself apologizing and said
      he
      > would look into it. A few days later he emailed me to let me know
      the
      > books were on their way, but he never explained why they weren't
      sent
      > 4 months earlier, like they were suppose to be. This time I did
      > receive the books, but I also received a shock. With the books
      came
      > some papers. Several for keeping track of whom you have lent out
      to,
      > with date, loaned to, phone number & email address, date returned,
      > etc. Uh huh. But the real kicker is this-----
      >
      > "We have also included a One Publishing Book Referral Tracking
      sheet
      > for each book (plus a few extras) to help you keep track of the
      books
      > you sign out. Please give each book a tracking number or letter to
      > correspond with your tracking sheet.
      >
      > We are finding that it's best to give the reader no more than 30
      days
      > to read the book before they must return it to you to give to
      someone
      > else. At your discretion, they can also loan the book out
      themselves,
      > as long as they have that person's name and contact information.
      > Please keep a running record of this, and if you feel that these
      > individuals would like to receive more correspondence from us,
      please
      > let us know.
      >
      > From this referral program we can then begin to hold gatherings
      for
      > those individuals who have read the book and have questions and
      > issues they'd like to discuss. If and when you feel it would be
      > helpful and appropriate, we can arrange for a possible conference
      > call (assuming you have or can set up speaker phone capabilities)
      > where these individuals can be invited to discuss the book and its
      > contents directly with Ford Johnson or myself (meaning Darrell).
      We
      > feel that this will serve as an important catalyst to helping
      create
      > a new sense of community within the new paradigm of I AM, GOD IS,
      WE
      > ARE ONE." (End of quote).
      >
      > Notice they capitalize the `god' shit just like Eckandoo-doo does.
      > And since when did I become a library?
      >
      > If I wasn't totally turned off by the Higher Con before, this
      cinched
      > it for me!!! I will never hand out their books to anyone again.
      I'd
> [...]
      > copies? Is it because no one is buying them? So they have to give
      > them away free to get their "message" out? And, when they hand out
      > the copies, they get members, because they force the people to
      sign
      > up for membership. Maybe they think that once we are a member,
      we'll
      > buy into the crap?
      >
      > Also, they keep going on and on about them being the `Great Work',
      > which sounds like a big ego trip to me. I decided to look it up in
      > their glossary in the book. Yes, folks, they have a glossary
      section,
      > just like Eckankar. Mainly because, both of these con groups have
      > made up a lot of their own words, so they have to tell people what
      > the words mean……
      >
      > "Great Work – Term for the efforts of highly spiritually developed
      > persons who aid others in recognizing the innate spirituality
      within
      > and the illusion of worshipping or depending on intermediaries for
      > our return to the ONE." (End of quote).
      >
      > Red flag warning, here. I wonder who appointed this merry band of
      > misfits as highly evolved spiritual beings? It's the old adage of;
      > those who claim to be highly developed are usually trying to pull
      one
      > over on you. And they are usually pulling one over on themselves,
      > too. Watching their shenanigans on the bulletin board when Graham
      > exposed Ford, you could have fooled me. I never would have guessed
      > these people are highly developed spiritual beings.
      >
      > Anyway, in the interval, I kept getting newsletters from HCS -
      almost
      > a carbon copy of Eckankar, I might add. I would get these things
      and
      > think, what the heck, open them up, and see what it was, then toss
      > them aside, unread - garbage.
      >
      > Meanwhile, Graham brought the truth out about Ford. I decided to
      > gather up the newsletters I'd tossed aside. When I finally had
      them
      > all together, a couple of weeks ago, I glanced through them to see
      > who the players of the game are. While glancing, lo & behold, I
      see
      > that I have a membership card with the Higher Con that is good for
      > one year. It took me 8 months to realize I have a card. I see that
      > also have an ID number. Lucky me. Damn, I guess I'd better put
      this
      > card in my purse right away so I can be "somebody". *LOL* At
      least
      > they haven't initiated me - or have they? It's my understanding
      > that those who have "chosen" the one year "free" membership will
      have
      > to fork over some $$$$$$$$ after that year is up in order to
      continue
      > membership. You can bet I won't be forking any $$$$$ in their
      > direction.
      >
      > Well, that's my story on membership and cards at the Higher Con
      incensestiks, can u fill me in a little about graham exposing ford??
    • incensestiks
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2004
        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "fishnik2004"

      • brighttigress@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 10, 2004
          <dustyrose@c...> wrote:
          > --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "fishnik2004"
          >
          > > incensestiks, can u fill me in a little about graham exposing
          > ford??
          ---

          > You could check out the archives here. It's all there, in black
          and
          > white, so to speak.

          reposted here by those of us who received them, for some odd reason
          he had problems posting directly.

          > Or, you can check out the "files" section in this group. Most of
          the
          > important info has been put there. You don't have to join to read.

          Thanks for compiling!!! And if you feel like it & I don't get a
          chance to, add a link here to your "Files" with "Graham" or
          something as the subject. And it's great to see that evidently
          Yahoo no longer requires membership to look at the files! Yes, you
          mentioned that before but I didn't get around to checking it out.

          I'm getting *much* closer to actually starting work on the new
          website, it's just amazing how things move so quickly &
          my "compiling" can't keep up with it.

          Don't know if anyone's specifically mentioned "Higher Con's"
          first "seminar" - Liz, thanks for posting those letters or whatever
          awhile back - I'd gotten them & clicked on the links or whatever,
          and see that he's selling promotional material, posters etc. for his
          members to buy for advertising & recruiting, just like e-kult does.
          Anyway, I also looked into his "seminar" a bit more, and it looks
          like he's just one exhibitor at one of those "new-agey" expositions,
          and he's also rented a room to give talks in - at $20 a head, I
          think. It would be interesting to learn what kind of turnout he
          gets!

          I *still* wonder if he actually believes his own hype!! Sadly, I
          think he does. But that's the way e-kult affected many people - too
          bad that honesty (with both one's self and others) isn't something
          the cult encourages.

          Gee...I was away last weekend, and basically haven't done
          anything "e" all week and it's been *so* nice!!! <gg>
          Unfortunately, the fish haven't been biting & the skies have been
          overcast - but it's still been fun!!

          Well, have a great weekend, everyone!