Re: A 6th Initiate "Walks Away" From the Cult

  • David D. Rogers
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2001
      > Message: 2
      > Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 05:36:45 -0000
      > From: "Sharon" <brighttigress@...>
      > Subject: A 6th Initiate "Walks Away" From the Cult

      Wow! That was one hell of a post! I've printed it out for a friend who
      knows I was a member, but doesn't know much about the cult. I hope this guy
      joins this mailing list! It was very interesting to get the perspective of
      one former H.I. who got disenchanted and left. His story was somewhat
      different from most of ours in that he was in a more venerated position,
      but very similar in how he became disillusioned and the internal struggles
      the cult places on its members. What particularly struck me was how it
      slowly crept upon him that Eckankar was no longer a place for growth for
      him, and that if anything, it was holding him back from further growth; as
      he put it, the world of Eckankar was getting smaller, and the outside world
      was beckoning towards him. And yet he joined because initially, it made his
      world seem bigger. I take it that as the other aspects of his life improved
      that he originally seeked refuge from, Eckankar got more boring for him.
      This seems to be a common thread through the stories of how people join
      Eckankar, both from current and ex-members--that life was not pleasurable
      before joining, and was often quite painfull. If one's life becomes pretty
      good while in the cult and they can only compare it to a poor life outside
      the cult, it might reinforce the idea that leaving would be a bad idea. On
      the other hand, life in cults like Eckankar rarely gets better after the
      initial honeymoon phase.

      Peace, David

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/