Out for over a year now - spouse not

  • weatherby_240
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2004
      It's been over a year since I dropped out of Eck but my wife is still
      in. Even one of our closest friends that was in a study group
      dropped out after several years. He read the Ford Johnson book, as
      well as other research. I've been overwhelmed with the data that
      reveals the truths out there.

      I'm particularly troubled seeing how someone reacts to daily issues
      under the beliefs. I'd like to know if anyone else sees what I do.

      It seems that there is a real disconnection with life events that
      require participation by someone. It seems that what I am see is a
      sort of "sweep it under the rug and it will go away" attitude, or do
      a hu chant or let it go and it will take care of itself. Just
      basically dropping one's responsibilities and hoping somehow that
      eckankar will handle it - "give it to the eck". It is a real
      disengagement from life from what I see and I know I have to do
      something, but at the same time the perception is that I am the one
      with a problem and eckankar has the answer. True happiness has not
      been present with eckankar around, but that is going to change.

      Any of this sound familiar?
    • Karen Hunter
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 19, 2004
        I wrote a fairly lengthy reponse to your post, but yahoo didn't get it through.

        Since I am limited for time, I will just say that I have experienced everything you are seeing, and that prior to even discovering Ford's book and the lies, etc., that was what was causing me to wake up to the truth of Eckankar. The longer I was in, the worse my life got!!! And it boiled down to the whole surrender to the Mahanta, sing Hu thing...

        What is now helping me slowly but surely get my life straightened out is not surrender, but union...union with all the parts of myself I tried to disown, and union with divine spirit. I am returning to my pre-Eckankar days of joy and learning how to help myself instead of depending on a fake Mahanta.

        Wishing you the best,
        karen, aka lucy whitefeather

        weatherby_240 <95yukon@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Karen HunterThe Natural OrderGardening is an instrument of grace--May Sarton
        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Paul Olson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 19, 2004
          Oh Yeah! It sure does sound familiar.

          Many years ago I was a certified Flight Instructor. I taught people to fly airplanes for a living.

          I had one student, Bob, who was an eckist and a friend of mine as well.

          My eckist friend was a bit of a slow learner, mostly because he seemed to delay all of his responses, kinda waiting for it all to work out OK in the end. He even mentioned once that if he leaves things to spirit, it usually does work out OK in the end. I know that fairy tale all too well.

          Part of the Flight Instructors job is to allow the student pilot to make mistakes and to NOT correct those mistakes until things are starting to get really hairy. We provide experiences.

          We were up on a training flight. I was teaching him to do intentional stalls and spins where the aircraft ends up pointed straight at the Earth and is spinning. From inside the cockpit this can be a very frightening view, the first time one sees it.

          Bob did as I asked. He pulled back on the yoke all the way. The nose of the aircraft rose up towards the sky and the plane started shuddering as the wings lost their airflow and began to stall out. Bob kinda sat there.

          I told Bob to now smash his foot down on the Left Rudder peddle and the Aircraft toppled over, straight down towards the Earth spinning nicely! Bob face went pure white! He froze on the controls and you could see his fingers turning white from lack of blood and tension.

          While we were in the Spin, he was kinda just sitting there and taking it in. I asked him to do what he thought he should do to recover control. He just sat there.

          I wasn't particularly interested in God Realization right at that moment. I told him that if he left this situation to spirit, we would see God very very soon, as we plummeted towards the Earth spinning wildly!

          He finally understood and got the plane back under control. This particular maneuver is fun for Pilots as the recovery technique is to JUST LET GO of the controls or to apply opposite pressure on the control surfaces.....it's when a Pilot freezes on the controls and hangs on for dear life that he gets to become a big smoking hole in the ground!

          This attitude of Not taking command of our own lives seems fairly prevalent in eckankar....in fact, it often looked to me like some folks didn't want control of their own lives....Fear of personal responsibility I guess. Bob got to feel the thrill of personal responsibility that morning.

          I think that when a lot of eckists are confronted with the truth about eckankar. Their anchor, their base, is threatened and they just freeze on the controls and can't let go.....They stay for a time. In my case, I stayed in eckankar more than 10 years after first finding out about the plagiarism and other issues.

          But I also know that TRUTH will eventually win out. If the eckist is a basically honest person, with a sincere desire to discover truth and God, that eventually they will HAVE to leave that pathway as the untruth of it will force them to realize that living within the illusion is actually a denial of the truth that they are seeking in the first place.

          I also know that no matter what we say or do, all we can do is point the way. Make the facts known.....we can't walk the path of life for anyone else, no matter how much we love them.

          In that sence, WE need to let go and to let them just learn while we quietly love them.

          A friend of mine online, Tom Leafeater, left eckankar almost 3 years before his significant other had the inner realizations about eckankar. He used to talk to me on the phone at night and tell me how hard it was to NOT blast eckankar in front of her, and to let her find it for herself. She eventually did see it though, and they are both still together and a whole lot happier in life now than while they were both eckists.

          Sword

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 19, 2004
            Thanks for the illustration - it is right on target. I'm not so sure
            I'm going to be as reserved as Tom and hold back. The more you know
            the more freely you want to blast and due to the damage it has caused
            I might just get more "expressive". I am by nature usually reserved
            and at times mistaken for being introverted but when issues like this
            arise it could be different.

            Do you know if Bob still an eckist?

            Thanks again

            Service.

          • Sin Ful
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 19, 2004
              Isn't it wierd, how the sharyat ki claims that your removing karma as you
              progress through the stages of eck developement?

              Makes sense though, I think they'r some truth behind it all. I'v always
              felt that Eckenkar is for the lower end of the higher spiritual minds.

              Or somthing. Who knows, Hail the goddess eres!!!

              Blah, chicken feathers fall from above.

            • Paul Olson
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 19, 2004
                Bob's not his real name and yes, he is a 6th initiate now in Arizona. He's still a little behind stuff too.

                Sword
> [...]

                untruth of it will force them to realize that living within the
                illusion is actually a denial of the truth that they are seeking in
                the first place.

                > I also know that no matter what we say or do, all we can do is
                point the way. Make the facts known.....we can't walk the path of
                life for anyone else, no matter how much we love them.

                > In that sence, WE need to let go and to let them just learn while
                we quietly love them.

                > A friend of mine online, Tom Leafeater, left eckankar almost 3
                years before his significant other had the inner realizations about
                eckankar. He used to talk to me on the phone at night and tell me
                how hard it was to NOT blast eckankar in front of her, and to let her
                find it for herself. She eventually did see it though, and they are
                both still together and a whole lot happier in life now than while

                Service.

              • brighttigress@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 4, 2004
                  --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "weatherby_240" <95yukon@e...>
                  wrote:
                  > It's been over a year since I dropped out of Eck but my wife is
                  still
                  > in. Even one of our closest friends that was in a study group
                  > dropped out after several years. He read the Ford Johnson book, as
                  > well as other research. I've been overwhelmed with the data that
                  > reveals the truths out there.

                  This must be a difficult situation for you.

                  As a member, I'd read a Q & A in one of the books about "mixed
                  marriages" - Klemp responded that if it was causing problems in a
                  family, the eckist should keep it "on the inner" for the sake of the
                  family. But, this is just another of those misleading "for the
                  public" statements.

                  > I'm particularly troubled seeing how someone reacts to daily issues
                  > under the beliefs. I'd like to know if anyone else sees what I do.

                  Yes - and for the former member, isn't this a wonderful experience -
                  to start getting your mind back enough that you can see the
                  difference?

                  > It seems that there is a real disconnection with life events that
                  > require participation by someone. It seems that what I am see is a
                  > sort of "sweep it under the rug and it will go away" attitude, or do
                  > a hu chant or let it go and it will take care of itself. Just
                  > basically dropping one's responsibilities and hoping somehow that
                  > eckankar will handle it - "give it to the eck".

                  I think the cult encourages this kind of "thinking" to keep members
                  totally focused on believing in and doing for the cult. However, in
                  my case there were a few times that I *needed* to do a lot of thinking
                  in order to make decisions - so I'd do the usual "ecky" things, taking
                  it to "the master", closing my eyes & opening an eckbook & pointing my
                  finger - "Spirit" would provide the answer. The resulting decisions
                  went against my own common sense, and always worked out by putting me
                  in circumstances where I'd become more deeply committed to and
                  involved in the cult. And from the very beginning, the cult's
                  "teachings" led me to label even very strong "warnings" from my own
                  "inner" as being from "the Kal".

                  > It is a real
                  > disengagement from life from what I see and I know I have to do
                  > something, but at the same time the perception is that I am the one
                  > with a problem and eckankar has the answer. True happiness has not
                  > been present with eckankar around, but that is going to change.

                  It sounds like you're considering a break-up - if so, I'm sorry to
                  hear this, but unfortunately that's the way it usually ends up.

                  > Any of this sound familiar?

                  Oh, yeah! Hardly a week goes by without a private email from someone
                  who's in basically the same situation. If it's any consolation, the
                  person who left the cult (or didn't join to begin with) ends up happy
                  with their decision, and continues learning, growing, and totally
                  appreciating their "new" lives and the freedom of mind and heart they
                  find.

                  Paul/Sword's story reminded me of the cult's silly "borrowing" of that
                  old Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner, and the pesky gremlins
                  who were sabotaging the airplane. I don't know what's worse - eckists
                  who go into denial about life and "give it to the eck", or those with
                  an unfounded fear of flying who imagine the plane's going to crash,
                  and "save" everyone's life by conjuring up the little
                  eckangremlinmechanics to tighten up all the nuts & bolts, as
                  recommended in one of the cult's "spiritual exercises".

                  Well...my best wishes to you! Wish I could think of something
                  cheerful & more "positive" to say, but it's always sad when
                  relationships break up.