A quote from Spiritual Enlightenment, the damnedest thing

  • ~Spirit Dancer~
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2004
      Forwarding a quote from the book, "Spiritual Enlightenment, the Damnedest thing" by Jed Mckeena.... to set up what the conversation is about; jed had given martin an assignment so he could
      start thinking for himself but martin didn't even come close to
      accomplishing the task...this is toward the end of that particular
      conversation where jed is trying to wake/shake martin up!!!

      "It's your head on the block, Martin, it's your clock that's
      ticking." I try a different approach. "What's your mission
      statement, Martin? What's the point? What is it you hope to
      accomplish with your life?"

      "Freedom from bondage," he replies without hesitation. "Liberation.
      Oneness with all that is. Unity consciousness."

      I manage not to hurl myself out the window. "Okay, okay, that's
      quite a list, or do you figure those are all different ways of
      saying the same thing?"

      "Well...yes," he replies hesitantly, obviously wondering if I'm an
      impostor, "those are all different ways of saying enlightenment."

      "Really? How do you know?"

      "Well, I've spent over twenty-five years..."

      "What, Martin? You've spent twenty-five years doing what?"

      "Everything. Studying, meditating, purifying myself. Reading,
      attending lectures, learning everything I could about evolving
      spiritually..."

      "What if you were to find out that it was all a waste?" I ask him.
      He recoils and I sense that he's on the verge of getting up and
      walking out. "Bear with me here, Martin. We're just talking. Just
      hypothetically, what if you found out that in order to achieve the
      enlightenment you speak of, you had to reject all the teachings
      you've ever received. Could you abandon all this knowledge you've
      acquired?"

      "Well, I don't really think..."

      "What's your priority? Enlightenment or the knowledge?"

      "Well, uh, over thirty years..."

      "And how many of his students have achieved enlightenment?"

      "Well, uh..."

      "That you know of personally?"

      "Well, uh, I never..."

      "What is it they're doing, Martin? The recipe for enlightenment
      they're promoting--what is it?"

      "Uh, well, meditation and knowledge, basically..."

      "And in thirty years they've never held someone up and said 'Look at
      this guy! He's enlightened and we got him there!" In thirty years
      they don't have one? Don't you think they should have, like an
      entire army of enlightened guys to show off by now?"

    • garlandpeck
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
        Earlier you mentioned a new group you were starting that is opened
        to everyone. I'm interested in this group. What is the name of the
        group.

        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, ~Spirit Dancer~

      • brighttigress@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
          --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "garlandpeck" <garlandpeck@y...>
          wrote:
          > Earlier you mentioned a new group you were starting that is opened
          > to everyone. I'm interested in this group. What is the name of the
          > group.

          It's in the "links" section here. I think it's "Let Your Spirit
          Soar".