Re: [eckankartruth] Re: Hoo & The Sufis - Part 2 - Long Post

  • JerryC
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2003
      All in all, Its not so important whether you call it om, Hu or hooo or whatever. It is more important to have the experience itself. Actually, i like HMMMM as well. tomAtoe tomAHto. Its what is the vitality behind the word[s] that counts.

      :-)
      Jerry
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
        Of course, there are many who could never buy into the idea that a word, in
        and of itself, has any real vitality or life. Do we not construct reality -
        at least what we think of as reality - through thought, through projection
        about the world "out there" based on what we have in our heads? I find it
        impossible to believe that certain sounds have any more inherent content any
        sound. Certainly sounds like "om" or "hu" are very melodious, and the
        intoning of them conducive to all sorts of brain states, but only because
        we've vested them with meaning. Were the "xchchc" sound of a throat being
        cleared of phlegm given the same currency it too would engender different
        states of being (in addition to sore throats).

        >From: "JerryC" <JerryC@...>
        >To: <eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [eckankartruth] Re: Hoo & The Sufis - Part 2 - Long Post
        >Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:40:50 -0500
        >
        >All in all, Its not so important whether you call it om, Hu or hooo or
        >whatever. It is more important to have the experience itself. Actually, i
        >like HMMMM as well. tomAtoe tomAHto. Its what is the vitality behind the
        >word[s] that counts.
        >
        >:-)
        >Jerry

        Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $26.95.
      • JerryC
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
          its the age old argument in linguistics as to whether or not words are arbitrary or distinct. of course we can argue that that there is a separation of the phonetics of a word from its meaning. I'll go one further. I claim that there is a separation of the meaning to the essence behind the meaning. example. A word has meaning. its use in a sentence reviels different meanings. several sentences reveal a deeper underlying truth. books and books and volumes are nessisary to uncover yet deeper and increasingly more technical truths. if only there was a single word to describe this deepest underlying truth. There is your word. it does not exist in any language. and it exists alright. john is right. i could use the word 'grut' to refer to this thing, and as long as you know what i am talking about then the word works. The words hu and om don not work to lead you to there meaning. but once you discover the essence, then the word will remind you of your own discovery. unless the word has been poisened by a bad experience. i love hu because of its phonetic simplicity. and in music it is a long endless drone. but it IS arbitrary.

          thanx John
          Jerry