Re: [eckankartruth] I still dont know what A.R.E. is

  • Anne Walton
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2003
      I am not at all ungrateful for my experience in Eckankar. Both the "positive" and "negative" aspects, and they were both for me, were very important to my learning about myself and what I want. And while it certainly is embarrassing to have found oneself in a mind cult, there are spiritual aspects that really unfolded for me. I also seemed to be having experiences and changes that others weren't. I also found the more I tried to connect with others about those things, the more unpleasant they became. My vibe no longer, if ever, fit the org. Now that I understand that the org mixes lies and omissions with the accurate teachings of spiritual freedom, I can see how confusing it can be for some and how hurtful. Given time, I can see that most folks can come to terms with what the experience taught them, if only that it taught them that they are their own inner master <g>.

      Anne
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2003
        Hi all,
        pls help ,who was/in Julian Johnson and does anyone Have a quick summary of the book.
        Thanks pato
        She not fords wife or sister by any chance?-had 2 ask!!!

      • Paul Olson
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2003
          A brief and poorly written, and badly edited summery of Julian Johnson's
          works is available...It is called "The Far Country" or "Dialogues with the
          Master", by a dead American, Paul Twitchell who forgot to mention Julian
          Johnson by name as the author :-)

          Seriously, you should check the archive here for more inf on Johnson.

          Sword

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2003
            In a message dated 8/31/2003 7:15:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            JerryC@... writes:
            For me, I got what i bargained for a 1000 times over , and that many times
            again. I will forever be greatful for what eckankar has done for me. And i
            dont mean the organisation. I mean what has happened in my life as a direct
            result of having found eckankar, or the eckankar.
            Jerry, I got what I bargained for a 1000 times over too. I never had a clue I
            could let myself be used that way. I'm grateful too. Grateful for getting out
            and growing up a little.

            I am sorry if i sound condescending, or a jerk. I do indeed have lots to
            learn (sword). I think i left eckankar because no one in the organization was
            having the experiences that i was. I got the feeling that i was the only one.
            Sad but true. and i have to be careful what i say. It is what it is and i cant
            change that.
            The only one? Pffft, as Rich would say. Read the controversial new book by
            Ford Johnson. You can compare inner experiences with What's His Name....oh,
            Graham is the name. Another one laboring under the influence of 'visitations'.

            (btw, 'inner experiences' don't mean a damn thing and tend to lead to a
            raging case of Spiritual Materialism.)

            FWIW

            The Great and Powerful Orez <GGG>

            (another btw, I watched the Wizard of Oz again last night for the umpteenth
            time and find it to be a nearly complete spiritual path...now, if I could just
            locate me some ruby slippers...)

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2003
              --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "JerryC" <JerryC@a...> wrote:
              > Thanx Anne.
              >
              > I became aware of all the who hah reguarding Paul T and the
              formation of Eckankar in about 1976. I was living in Berkley,Ca and
              had already read Julian Johnsons books. finding out these sorts of
              things about Eckankar didnt bother me because my approach was that i
              was soley responsible for my own condition. Paul T's troubles were
              between him and his world.

              > His writings were a tool that i used for my own unfoldment. I left
              the outer organization in about 1984 because the vitality had led me
              elsewhere. I wasnt getting what i was looking for from it. That which
              directs us in our lives had directed me into a position where i stand
              today.

              > Eckankar has served me so well that i cannot ever say anything bad
              > about it.

              Over the years, members have come and gone for many reasons -
              especially before the internet. It's good that this was your
              experience. Maybe after you're on the internet for awhile, you'll
              understand the viewpoint of others who have left, and why you may have
              given some people the impression that you're being judgmental, etc.,
              just as you may have the impression that former members who speak out
              are stuck in anger & bitterness.

              When I'm done with this one, I'm going to repost something recent from
              A.R.E. which might help you to understand a little better.

              I see you're not familiar with a.r.e. - and please, I just posted
              about this - if you'd looked over the links when you joined ET, well..
              ..

              >If it is misleading anyone or expressing untruths for the furtherment
              of itself, then thats not good. Those of you who have felt that you
              were entised into the group under false pretenses, this is
              unfortunate and the group should be more carefull about how it
              solicites. (I know my spelling sucks).

              Hmmmmm....what do you think about the cult's 1998 full-page ad in the
              TV Guide?

              Perhaps you left before you became familiar with Klemp's little story
              about the higher planes marketing department, with the big map on the
              wall with lots of little twinkly lights showing where the "mahaunta"
              has already contacted a bunch of people on the "inner" so they're now
              ready for an eckanmissionary to provide the "outer" linkup to the Org?

              I *really* need to do the new website, because I have posted how I got
              sucked in too many times. I don't just mean *you*, but lots of people
              ask the same questions and I often feel like a broken record.

              Anything Klemp does, well...he gets his instructions directly from
              Suggie. I wonder how many new members they got from the TV Guide ad?

              Remember, Jerry - Twitch started out writing that everyone gets an
              invitation when they're "ready". If they're smart and they don't want
              to remain in astral or physical hell, stuck on the old Wheel of '84,
              they'll join.

              Just think about this a little bit.

              Twitch told members to leave eckbooks in random places, and the books
              said that if you pick up an eckbook it's a "sign" from THE ECK.

              Think, Jerry.

              > For me, I got what i bargained for a 1000 times over , and that many
              times again. I will forever be greatful for what eckankar has done
              for me. And i dont mean the organisation. I mean what has happened
              in my life as a direct result of having found eckankar, or the
              eckankar.

              I just wonder - perhaps there are two ends of the spectrum here? At
              one end, you've got all this gratitude & give credit for your
              experiences to the cult. At the other end is the feeling you & others
              have about where you think former members who speak out are coming
              from.

              > I am sorry if i sound condescending, or a jerk. I do indeed have
              lots to learn (sword). I think i left eckankar because no one in the
              organization was having the experiences that i was. I got the feeling
              that i was the only one. Sad but true. and i have to be careful what
              i say. It is what it is and i cant change that.

              I'm sort of laughing here, because you're not the only one who noticed
              over the years that no one else was having the experiences they were!

              I'm not talking totally about non-physical experiences. I'm also
              talking about my own realization that with many, the "talk" and the
              "walk" were entirely different things.

              You know, whether you're a current or former member, getting on the
              internet is frequently a surprising experience. <ggg>

              Now, my personal opinion, based on my re-examination of the cult's
              "teachings" when I left, is that you feel the way you do and left the
              way you left because that's what Twitch put in the "teachings" when he
              started it, to deal with what his study of cults had shown him would
              be a good way to deal with those who surely *would* leave his cult, to
              try to avoid the problems former members can cause before it even
              happened. Heck - I've even heard from former members who are still
              eckanmissionaries!! Seriously!!!

              Well...that's enough for this one...

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2003
                --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Walton" <AnneWalton@c...>
                wrote:
                > I am not at all ungrateful for my experience in Eckankar. Both the
                "positive" and "negative" aspects, and they were both for me, were
                very important to my learning about myself and what I want. And while
                it certainly is embarrassing to have found oneself in a mind cult,
                there are spiritual aspects that really unfolded for me.

                Good points here, Anne! I personally feel very neutral about my cult
                experience - in retrospect I realize I would have continued to learn &
                grow *without* my cult experience, and probably a lot better, but it's
                not really a big deal. Mostly I just slapped the ecklabel on
                everything - okay, there were some areas where the cult definitely
                held me back & stifled & stuff, but...that's life!!

                >I also seemed to be having experiences and changes that others
                weren't. I also found the more I tried to connect with others about
                those things, the more unpleasant they became. My vibe no longer, if
                ever, fit the org. Now that I understand that the org mixes lies and
                omissions with the accurate teachings of spiritual freedom, I can see
                how confusing it can be for some and how hurtful. Given time, I can
                see that most folks can come to terms with what the experience taught
                them, if only that it taught them that they are their own inner master
                <g>.

                No matter what side of the fence you're on, everyone ends up
                somewhere! Funny, my son & I were just chatting about a friend who
                moves from place to place looking for happiness, not realizing you
                create your own & carry it with you - David recently heard someone say
                "Wherever you are is where you are" and he's been having fun with it.

                Maybe I'm in a sort of laughing mood this morning, thinking yeah -
                there were also times I, like everyone on *both* sides might look at
                others at think they're not "getting it" as quickly as I am, I also
                had just as many times thinking I wasn't "getting it" compared to
                others, and Klemp had obviously "chosen" me several incarnations
                before I was "ready", and just happened to bump into me as I bounced
                happily around those other planes, and realized I needed to be kept
                out of trouble! <ggg>