Hello

  • EckOrange@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2001
      Hey All,
      Thanks for the all the info. I have been following the spiritual
      path of Eckankar for 5 years now. Or I should say "some" of the path.
      When Eckankar and myself crossed paths in Jan. 1996, I was in
      spiritual limbo, searching and longing for something to move me,
      guide me, take me to new spiritual highs. Eckankar did this to me. It
      set me free from the bonds of Christianity and other limiting
      spiritual paths. I plunged head first into Eckankar, particularly
      studying spiritual techniques of soul travel, advancing quickly in
      this section. Within 5 months, I was having out of body experiences
      and my whole attitude and way I viewed life had changed for the good.
      But...as I studied Eckankar further, there were things about the
      religion and spiritual teachings that I did not totally agree with. I
      was initially uncomfortable with the Living Eck Master concept and
      some of the some of the writings in the scriptures. So, I accepted
      what I could of Eckankar and disregarded the rest. I never did become
      a member and do the discourses, and am not sure if I will. I have
      attended some Eck discussions and Hu services, which I have found
      uplifting at times. But I never really fully explored all the
      teachings and read all of the books on Eckankar, especially Paul T.
      since his writing tends to make my eyes glaze over. Lately, I have
      been comming across alot of neg information about Eckankar. I am glad
      to see all opinions and aspects of Eckankar, the truths and lies,
      good and bad. I no longer feel so awkward about my own doubts or
      questions I had about Eck and it's teachings. I realize now that
      there is nothing wrong with accepting only parts of spiritual
      teaching that you are comfortable with and dismissing that which you
      do not agree or accept. I also realize realize now that Eckankar is
      not the center of the Universe. This does not mean I will dismiss Eck
      all together. I use some of the Eck spiritual exercises along with
      other (non-Eck) spiritual paths and teachings. I feel I am always
      evolving spiritually and will experience many different spiritual
      experiences and teachings before I leave this life (just to come back
      and do it all over again next time around!) :-)
    • rob from canada
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 17, 2001
        Greetings One and All

        My name's Rob and I'm a former 4th iniate of eckankar. I originally
        joined in 1977. I had doubts about eekankar from the outset. When I
        joined, Darwin Gross, then living yeeek master,supposed "godman,"
        having achieved the highest level of consciousness on the planet, had
        been summarily booted out of the organization. This struck me as a
        tad fishy. As a result, it took me 4 years to take my 2nd
        iniatiation. Even then, it was only through much elbow twisting by
        one of the local high iniates that I begrudgingly took the step. I
        stayed with it because I benefited from some of the spiritual
        excercises(relaxing if nothing else), the self-discipline (I quit
        drinking and smoking), the bolstered self-esteem from believing I
        walked the true path of god as well as the sense of protection and
        guidance (real or imagined). In the beginning this was enough, but as
        the years passed and I progressed in iniation levels, I felt
        progressively uncomfortable. I began feeling like I wasn't measuring
        up. I was a VERY dedicated eeiickist and faithfully attended
        satsangs, served as an ara"ha ha" ta, spoke at lectures, and
        regularly did my spirital excercises. Still, I felt I should be
        making more progress and was painfully aware of my personal
        shortcomings. It seemed the harder I tried, the more unbalanced I
        became. When I asked what was wrong, I was always given some stock
        response: ie "don't ask questions - relax and surrender to the ick"
        As I got into the higher level discourses, I noticed the texts became
        increasingly threatening. Former feelings of security and belonging
        began to give away to feelings of fear, inadequacy and uncertainty. I
        had already pondered quitting when I stumbled on David Lane's exposee
        about Paul Twitchell and Eckankar on the internet. Lane's research
        confimed many of things I had suspected all along. He exposed
        eckankar for what it is - an organization perpetuating itself on
        lies, ripoffs, coverups, law suits, and power struggles - a mind
        control cult! At the time I made the discovery, I was knee deep
        working on my MA in English, had a new born child and was working a
        number of different part time jobs to pay the bills. I felt great
        relief in discovering Lane's work, but really didn't have the time to
        reflect on all the implications or assess the damage yuuckankar had
        done to my psyche. I determined to simply quit the ick without a
        word. Although I've been out of the cult for a number of years, I'm
        only now becoming aware of the grip it had on my psyche and the
        damage it has done. Once my schedule slowed down, I started
        experiencing feelings of anger, doubt, cynicism, fear, estrangement,
        depression.... These negative feelings began having an adverse affect
        on my self-discipline and my daily life. I began using certain
        meditative and relaxation techniques gleaned from other spiritual
        paths and psychcological sources. These definitely helped, but I
        still felt an inner emptiness. I yearned to find an alternative
        spiritual path and tried exploring a number, but the experience had
        left me far to cynical (probably just as well in retrospect). My
        internet research eventually led me to various cult awareness
        websites - some posted by former eckists such as Sharon (whose been a
        great help to me!) I'm becoming aware of the cognitive and emotional
        damage done though the cult's mind control techniques,I'm learning
        about the drug-like emotional dependancy I had unwittingly developed,
        I'm learning how to recogize and undo the well worn subconscious
        mental grooves which I had formed from years of doctrinal
        brainwashing and I'm now learning to live in the REAL world rather
        than the fantasy world ickancult provided. It feels great!!! My
        thanks to David Lane, Sharon and the numerous others whose prescence
        on the net has helped lead me to recovery.

        Best Regards

        rob
        Canada

        (Note from Sharon: Rob, I've edited out your email address and your city, in case you haven't considered whether you'd like to remain private or not. )