The Paths of the Masters

  • weatherby_240 <95yukon@excite.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2003
      Just ordered and received the book "The Paths of the Masters" by
      Julian Johnson (after reading about the Twitchellian plagiarism in
      Lane's book "The Making of a Spiritual Movement". Not too far into
      it, - just finished the preface and kind of scanned through it.
      Julian was quite a writer and even though David Lane's book is good,
      this is very interesting because you see the real roots of where the
      writings of eck came from.

      I was not aware of that Twitchell even lifted the 5 passions of the
      mind from this book.

      I was looking over an old Eck Satsang tonight where it talks about
      not sharing your secret word, then I go to the internet and find that
      the initiators have been handing out the same word to several. It
      just keeps getting better....
    • Sharon <brighttigress@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2003
        --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "weatherby_240 <95yukon@e...>" <95yukon@e...> wrote:
        > Just ordered and received the book "The Paths of the Masters" by
        > Julian Johnson (after reading about the Twitchellian plagiarism in
        > Lane's book "The Making of a Spiritual Movement". Not too far into
        > it, - just finished the preface and kind of scanned through it.
        > Julian was quite a writer and even though David Lane's book is good,
        > this is very interesting because you see the real roots of where the
        > writings of eck came from.

        When Joe O'Leary was documenting the plagiarism from either Neville Goddard or Walter Russell, he commented on how when you're sitting there comparing what Twitch "wrote" and the original work he took it from, it just created a very striking picture of how Twitch actually did it. Well...I can't remember his exact words, but they made an impression on me, and I can see it - Twitch sitting there copying, throwing in some of his own stuff here and there, like where he figured it would be a good idea to add some "Mahanta, Living ECK Master" stuff, or some of the fear & threat messages. This method of "writing" is probably why his books are so "choppy", jumping from one thing to another, none of it making sense in any "whole" way - so what *I* ended up doing was focusing on the "nice" (probably stolen) stuff and sort of ignoring the nonsense he tossed in.

        > I was not aware of that Twitchell even lifted the 5 passions of the
        > mind from this book.

        <giggle> Twitch lifted just about *everything* from somewhere else!!

        Oh...down below I'm reposting a letter from Lane's website about the $cientology plagiarism.

        > I was looking over an old Eck Satsang tonight where it talks about
        > not sharing your secret word, then I go to the internet and find that
        > the initiators have been handing out the same word to several. It
        > just keeps getting better....

        <giggle> This is another item we can thank Joe for - way back when he was a member, he peeked at the Initiator's Handbook on an HI's bookshelf, and saw the list of recommended "words" to use when nothing was coming through "on the inner".

        Maybe the cult should use a little "disclaimer" in the "teachings" about the initiations. Sure, this is some holy & sacred ritual, the "outer" of something that's happened on the "inner", and decided on by the "master" and "chela", and the initiator is some kind of holy "channel for Spirit" on behalf of the "mahanta" who *really* does the initiations, and of course sometimes the poor lowly "chela" may not be "aware" enough to get their own word "on the inner" but gee, wouldn't you think the initiator would? Nope...that's why there's a list in the book. So...I'd say 99% of the time the chela getting the initiation *does* truly believe, and is hu-ing their butts off trying to get their own word "on the inner" - but damn, I figured if *I* wasn't "getting it" that at least my initiator was "tuned in" to "the mahanta" - but noooooo....evidently they have "off" days too!

        Of course, none of this is "Wah Z's" fault. He gets it straight from Suggie - it no one else "gets it" there can't be anything wrong with his "transmitter", can there be?

        You gotta laugh - we *did* fall for this bullshit, didn't we?

        http://members.tripod.com/~dlane5/scient.html

        Dear Mr. Lane,

        Thank you for sending the publication UNDERSTANDING CULTS AND
        SPIRITUAL MOVEMENTS VOL 2, No.2 & 3 with the article "The
        Scientology Connection." I'm delighted that you found the material
        useful and decided to use it for others to see and understand.

        One recommendation is that date the AXIOMS OF SCIENTOLOGY as
        1958 in the case of the source I sent you. They actually go back to
        a 1954 book called the CREATION OF HUMAN ABILITY. Giving the date
        establishes beyond a doubt which con cult has precedence.

        Next is a mistake on my part regarding the article. As the
        material is presented it puts Hubbard in the light of being the
        source of this information and the originator. I did not send you
        the sources which Hubbard borrowed from to make up the axioms. The
        danger in this is that a quick glance by a borderline ECKY may
        convince him to swing over to a far more evil and manipulative cult
        of Hubbards. I won't make that mistake again.

        In fact that seems to be the entire purpose of your
        publications; to "really" understand the nature and composition of
        cults, not just ECK.

        Enclosed is a book ad for L. RON HUBBARD: MESSIAH OR MADMAN?
        which is a brilliant in-depth peek at the man behind the idealistic
        facade of his public writings. Also two of the contents pages are
        enclosed. There are many similarities between ECK and Scientology
        in how both manipulate people.

        As I mentioned in my first letter to you, Twitchell has
        borrowed many, many concepts from Hubbard just skimming through
        only one book I have on ECK, THE LETTERS TO GAIL, Volume one. I
        don't have volume two which is also probably loaded with more lifts
        from Scientology. There are so many of these plagiarisms that
        revealing them to you would almost be a full-time occupation. I'm
        sure you're interested in them and I see that you are putting what
        I have sent you to good use, so I will continue. I only ask two
        things of you. One, that my name be kept in confidence (as you have
        done with the published article). I trust you now. And secondly,
        you make some mention of plagiarizing Hubbard uses in the same
        manner that Twitchell does.

        To save time in xeroxing and typing of the HUB-TWITCH
        CONNECTIONS, I propose the following feature. I'm enclosing some
        books on Scientology and will mention the connections by page
        number and refer to the page number of LETTERS TO GAIL.

        Example; FUNDAMENTALS OF THOUGHT by LRH 1956 (FOT for short)

        LETTERS TO GAIL Page 57 (March 1, 1963) SUBJECT: THEORY OF
        GAMES (Pages 57 and 61 are on this subject)

        FUNDAMENTALS OF THOUGHT
        Chapter 6 Pages 44 to 53 (SUBJECT: GAMES)
        Chapter 12 Pages 92 to 11 " "
        (This is the source of the plagiarism by Twitch.)

        HUBBARD'S SOURCE OF PLAGIARISM OF THE GAME THEORY

        HOMO LUDENS, A STUDY OF THE PLAY ELEMENT IN CULTURE by John
        Huizinga 1950 (HOMO LUDENS defines man at play or man as a player)

        HOMO LUDENS
        I will try to get a few pages of xeroxes from this book
        to show the link.

        Another book for info only as it is dated 1970 is
        GOD & GAMES TOWARD A THEOLOGY OF PLAY by David L. Miller
        Harper Colophon Books 1973 edition

        END

        This format is what I will use in the future if you are
        interested in more HUB-TWITCH CONNECTIONS. And boy there are many.

        Here's a quicky since I'm on page two and have some space.

        SUBJECT; REACTIVE MIND

        LETTERS TO GAIL pages 28 to 30

        FOT............. Chapter 7 PARTS OF MAN pages 54 to 70

        REACTIVE MIND data on pages 58 to 60

        HUBBARD'S PLAGIARISM SOURCE:

        Peter Illich Pavlov and Sigmund Freud
        (No exact quotes conveniently at hand, but I have them)

        OTHER TWITCHELL RELATED MATERIAL ENCLOSED.

        1. SELF ANALYSIS by Hubbard 1951 (The only recommended by
        Twitchell in LETTERS TO GAIL on page 167 conveniently hidden
        amongst 100 other sources)

        2. SCIENTOLOGY ABRIDGED DICTIONARY
        (See Reactive Mind, Thetan Axiom 1 data)

        3. WRITER'S DIGEST 1941 Aug (Twitchell ad)

        4. ABILITY 54 1957 (Twitchell a Scn counselor page 3. So he
        was a teacher as well as a writer for Scn.)

        5. SOURCE UNLIMITED 1966 (Twitchell cult ad [not Eckankar} on
        back page)

        6. PROBE mag 1972 Dec (chart of salvation of ECK on page 39)
        (See MEST in Scn. dictionary)

        7. CLASSIFICATION GRADATION AND AWARENESS CHARTS OF LEVELS FOR
        DIANETICS AND SCIENTOLOGY 1969 Sept (similar to ECK chart in many
        ways)

        8. DIANETICS AND SCIENTOLOGY TECHNICAL DICTIONARY 1975
        (see MEST) An expanded dictionary to the one enclosed.

        Well, that's it have fun with the connection. If you have more
        UNDERSTANDING CULTS AND SPIRITUAL MOVEMENTS publications that may
        interest me, do send them along. And other material you wish me to
        peek at in terms of the HUB-TWITCH CONNECTIONS would be
        appreciated.

        Sincerely,

        P.S.
        The books and items are yours.