Re: [eckankartruth] Digest Number 435

  • broker84
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2002
      Hi,
      A.R.E. is short for the newsgroup alt.religion.eckankar It is a horrible place where lots of folks who
      left eckankar go to bash eckists and where eckists and high initiates go to bash those who have left eckankar.....It's not much fun there and if you visit...S T A Y A N O N O M O U S !!!

      THe folks there are not beyond trying to get your isp to kick you off the web, or sending flames to your family or your employeer or other stuff like that.....It is not a nice place.

      I visit once in a while to see if anyone I knew in eckankar is there but I seldom post.

      Sword
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2002
        --- In eckankartruth@y..., "Oldenburg" <silfoxes@i...> wrote:
        > Can someone explain what "a.r.e" is and what is this stuff about cats?

        Hi & Welcome!! First of all, I apologize that your post was sitting there for a couple of days. I didn't know it was there. I usually get automatic notices & don't "check in" here that often. I didn't get my usual automatic notices - I have to check my settings.

        A.R.E. is the usenet newsgroup alt.religion.eckankar. You can "experience" it either through your ISP's newsfeed & your software's newsgroups reader, or go to:
        http://groups.google.com/groups?q=alt.religion.eckankar&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search - if that doesn't work, just go to http://groups.google.com & type in "eckankar" in the search field.

        I think the thing about cats is, I got a very funny email on how to wash your cat, and shared it. <ggg> I *love* cats - some of mine have loved baths, others didn't.

        Hey, another thing about the "cats" thing is, I get sick of "eckanbashing", too. <ggg>

        > You know, it appears that folks who contribute to this list are bent on
        > insulting the cult with "ickisms". While it expresses a tongue in cheek put
        > down, it also exhibits an immature atttitude.

        Some of us find it very helpful and healing to insult the cult. And it's also helpful for others to see former members insulting the cult, and to be free enough to insult the cult, too.

        There's actually a wide variety of "style" in how members "speak out" about it. Since I got out, I found "ickisms" are actually very useful. There are some things that are best expressed with "detractorspeak" such as "eckanfog", "eckanborg", "eckankaka", etc.

        > I was a member back in 1970 and agree on the mind wash tactics. After discovering my own gullibility through the haze (thanks to Klemp's appearance) I do not support this path nor the Atom sojourn from Gross.

        Well, I feel very sorry for Darwin. I joined after Klemp took over, and since I got out it's even more clear that what Klemp is doing is simply fulfilling Twitch's plans for his little racket. Are you one of those "oldtimers" who still holds on to the illusion that In The Beginning, it was a fun & independent spiritual path? I suggest you wake up & take another look at what the Twitchster was dishing out.

        When I was a cult member, all I knew about Gross was what the eckbooks said about it. But I must say, my common sense kicked in a bit (but I stifled) when I read about Gail marrying her choice of LEM not that long afterwards. It just "felt" funny. Just little bits & pieces here and there - like when I read how it took awhile to locate Gail when Twitch died, because she was "camping with friends". It was interesting to learn after I left that she & Gross were evidently lovers while she & Twitch were married, and he was just a 2nd initiate when he was named LEM.

        I guess it's sort of hard to find a "real" job - I mean, can you imagine putting "living ECK master" on your resume?

        > It is shattering to self image to discover the sham and leaves one adrift.

        True. And you know, part of getting back a *true* self image involves getting rid of the false cultic self-image. And for some people, it's helpful to use words like "eckancrap" to get rid of all the phony bullshit we'd been programmed with.

        > It would offer more support and comfort if this list would address those
        > type of issues for individuals surviving years of mis-information and trust
        > rather than dwelling on bashing the past and present.

        I sort of agree with you here, and actually, when I started this forum it was for two reasons. One, to help inform the public about the cult; and two, to give former members a chance to speak out publicly without the eckancrap from the eckthugs at a.r.e. (Sorry about that!) And I'd sort of hoped that what would happen would be sort of like all the private correspondence I'd had with so many people since I got out, and how wonderful it would be if they could all get to know each other, and "chat", and support each other, etc.

        You see, some of us have been out awhile and so maybe we look at it as "bashing" the past and present, but for others, this is all new.
        And it needs to be done. There are some "detractors" over at a.r.e. who have different "styles" - you may find it interesting to check it out.

        There are "private" groups such as my favorite, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ex-cult-support and also /execkankar for more "privacy", except I'm sure cult members have lied to get into both groups. Many have found this forum helpful, and I believe I say in my "welcome" letter that people should feel free to write privately to any posters here who "resonate", because I'm sure that other former members feel just the way I do, and are glad to help out on a more one-to-one basis.

        Jan Groenveld's ex-cult-support group does an excellent job in support & education issues, and that's why I recommend it. I also feel it's useful to get a bigger picture than just ex-eckankar, as it's actually such an insignificant "piddly" little cult compared to others. There is no way I could possibly do as much & as well as Jan has done over the years! So, why would I want to basically do a "clone" of what she's already done? The moderators of her forum are excellent, too. And there's also "freedomofmind".

        > Please offer more to those ignorent of what has transpired; in the way of
        > understanding and support in an intelligent manner?

        Well, it's sort of hard to sum up the a.r.e. experience briefly.

        The only thing I can think of right now to tell you is, look a bit deeper. That's what I did when I first went to a.r.e. as a good little eckanmissionary.

        I would be totally thrilled if there were some "balance" here -
        if you've read the archives, you'll see that I've sort of bitched about a few things that I wasn't exactly too happy about.

        Although you may not agree, this forum *has* provided understanding and support to quite a few people. I would suggest that you and any others who would like to see something else here, do it. Being a "moderator" sort of sucks. Maybe you could start the intelligent understanding & support stuff? Actually, I think there's been some of that here but right now I don't remember.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2002
          --- In eckankartruth@y..., "Oldenburg" <silfoxes@i...> wrote:
          > Can someone explain what "a.r.e" is and what is this stuff about cats?

          Hi & Welcome!! First of all, I apologize that your post was sitting there for a couple of days. I didn't know it was there. I usually get automatic notices & don't "check in" here that often.

          A.R.E. is the usenet newsgroup alt.religion.eckankar. You can "experience" it either through your ISP's newsfeed & your software's newsgroups reader, or go to:
          http://groups.google.com/groups?q=alt.religion.eckankar&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

          A.R.E. is a bit rough, but it's wonderful because it reveals the *true* "soul" of the cult. I wasn't the first one who woke up & got out because of it, and I won't be the last. Sword left a bit out of his a.r.e. definition - it's more than just mutual bashing. I'd say that probably most "detractors" are very interested in helping others learn about & avoid the cult-trap, and counteract the "eckanmissionary" recruiting propaganda.

          I think the thing about cats is, I got a very funny email on how to wash your cat, and shared it. <ggg> I *love* cats - some of mine have loved baths, others didn't.

          > You know, it appears that folks who contribute to this list are bent on
          > insulting the cult with "ickisms". While it expresses a tongue in cheek put
          > down, it also exhibits an immature atttitude.

          Some of us find it very helpful and healing to insult the cult. And it's also helpful for others to see former members insulting the cult.

          There's actually a wide variety of "style" in how members "speak out" about it. Since I got out, I found "ickisms" are actually very useful. There are some things that are best expressed with "detractorspeak" such as "eckanfog", etc.

> [...]

          Jan Groenveld's ex-cult-support group does an excellent job in support & education issues, and that's why I recommend it. I also feel it's useful to get a bigger picture than just ex-eckankar, as it's actually such an insignificant "piddly" little cult compared to others. There is no way I could possibly do as much & as well as Jan has done over the years! So, why would I want to basically do a "clone" of what she's already done? The moderators of her forum are excellent, too. And there's also "freedomofmind".

          > Please offer more to those ignorent of what has transpired; in the way of
          > understanding and support in an intelligent manner?

          Please feel free to contribute what you feel should be here! To be honest, I'd sort of like to not really be involved for awhile. I'm sort of tired. I'd like to see this forum sort of "evolve" naturally and take its form through the "members" here. I think there have been some good & supportive things here, as well as "other" stuff. I honestly do *not* like "running" things, and a couple of times here I had to sort of make decisions about things that people didn't exactly like, and it can be a fricken pain in the butt, which is the *last* thing I need right now!

          And believe me, anyone who's familiar with a.r.e. feels that just having an eck-free place to post is *very* understanding and supportive! <gg>

          Well...one thing I *do* want to do since you've reminded me that evidently not everyone finds a.r.e., is to really get better with re-posting good & informative posts from that group.

          There's also a lot of information on the internet - I try to keep the links in the "links" section here up-to-date, and some interesting information in the "files" section, so I think when people do thorough research on what's available, well...that in itself is very liberating.

          Well...I don't have much more to say here right now, but thanks for posting! Hope you'll contribute more!!