The Best of A.R.E. #1

  • brighttigress
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2002
      (Sometimes we get all caught up in all the bullshit & we forget the plain, simple, and obvious *truth* that even children can see...)

      From the eyes of a child...
      tomleafeater@... (Tom Leafeater)
      Thu Jul 4 4:13 PM

      With all of the theorizing and intellectuallizing that goes on here over
      Twitchell, it can help to get back to simple concepts any child can grasp.
      Here's a repost of a story I wrote a few months ago:

      One morning, little Lucinda asks her father, "Daddy, what's play jar-eyes?" Her
      eyes are wide and questioning, with a hint of fear in them. She had been
      pondering the unsettling words she overheard her mother and father speaking the
      night before, and like any typical eight-year old, now had a million questions
      to ask.

      "Play-jar-eyes? Oh, you mean plagiarize?" Her father and mother, both members
      of Eckankar, had been talking about Paul Twitchell's plagiarism. They had just
      learned of it, and were trying to come to grips with the new information.

      "Yeah, play jar-eyes. What's that? Is it some kind of game?"

      Taken aback by his daughter's questions, he stammers, "Oh, did you hear mommy
      and me talking last night?" Hesitating for a moment, he ponders an answer, then
      decides to plunge straight in. He rarely hid anything from his daughter. "Well,
      plagiarism is... when you copy someone else's writing."

      "You mean like stealing? Like if you work on something a long time, like
      writing a book or something, and then someone steals it from you? That's what I
      heard mommy say. She said Paulji stole stuff other people wrote. Did Paulji
      steal, daddy? Is it the same thing as stealing someone's money or something?"

      Her father searches for an answer, but can only muster, "Well, some people say
      he did. Some people say when you copy someone's published writings, it is the
      same as taking something precious, something a person worked hard on."

      Peering up at her father with troubled, vulnerable eyes, she asks, "Is that
      what mommy was upset about? Playing jar-eyes is bad, huh, daddy? Mommy sounded
      really unhappy. Is mommy okay?"

      "Oh, sweetheart, don't worry, your mommy is just surprised, that's all. Some
      people think what Paulji did is, um, unethical, especially for a Master. Your
      mommy just heard about this, and she's, well, upset a little."

      "What's un-eth-ik-al, daddy? Does that mean something bad?"

      "Well, some people think it's bad, but there are eckists who think maybe in
      earlier times of history people didn't mind plagiarism so much, so maybe what
      Paulji did is excusable, even if it appears to be, well, unethical now in
      modern times." He turned away from his daughters stare, feeling rather lame
      with this dissembling explanation. What was he to say to her? He wasn't even
      sure what he, himself, thought about this yet.

      "So Paulji did something bad? Was all the stuff that's bad to do nowadays okay
      to do a long time ago? Was it okay to steal stuff in the old days a long time
      ago? Can I do bad stuff that was okay to do before?" Being a bright child,
      little Lucinda never let go of an idea once she got hold of it.

      Nonplussed, her father croaks, "Well, no, not really, Paulji was just trying
      to, er, get things going so so we could have Eckankar available more quickly,
      so that, you know, we could, uh, study it. He had his way of getting things
      done, he had his reasons. He was kind of an amazing person that way." Although
      he was speaking to a mere eight year old, he was quickly finding himself out of
      his depth.

      "So its okay to steal someone's stuff if you have a good reason, daddy? My
      teacher said we should never copy someone else's homework, or take it straight
      from a book, that we should do it ourselves! She said it's cheating, and we
      would get in trouble if we copied! Is that one of those things only grownups
      can do, like smoking or drinking? Do I have to wait to get older before I can,
      um, play jar-eyes?"

      Exhaling deeply, he fumbles for an answer. "No, no, its not something most
      people should do, because, uh..."

      "But Paulji's an Eck Master, so he can do it? He can do anything he wants, huh,
      daddy? He's special!"

      "Well, no, not exactly. He just was a very unusual person, you see. He did a
      lot of things differently than other people, he thought differently, he had an
      extraordinary vision and purpose."

      "So, if I was, uh, extra-ord-in-ar-y, if I thought differently, could I play
      jar-eyes when I grow up? I want to be like Paulji! I want to play jar-eyes too,
      and be special too, daddy!"

      "No, dear, you shouldn't think you can plagiarize, even when you're
      older... It's, uh... no... its.. kind of hard to explain... "

      "Why not, daddy? Paulji did it. Is he the only one who can play jar-eyes?"

      Exasperated now, and with concern for his daughter, at last he finds his
      tongue. "Oh sweetheart, it's a complicated thing to explain. But, honey, please
      don't think you can steal from other people. I don't want you to think that.
      You can get in trouble doing that. Do you understand? It isn't right to do
      that. I want you to grow up with respect for other people and their belongings.
      It's really, really important. Remember the golden rule I taught you? 'Do unto
      others as you would have others do unto you'? If you have love and respect for
      others, you won't want to take what doesn't belong to you. And when people work
      hard at something, they have the right to receive credit for what they've
      accomplished." Whatever he thought about Twitchell, he couldn't very well teach
      his daughter to steal.

      Finally, as if a disturbing puzzle had suddenly become clear to her, she cries,
      "Daddy, I don't understand. Why didn't Paulji just go inside, like you taught
      me, and just write what he saw there? Why did he need to steal? He knows all
      about things, you said. He's the Mahanta! He knows secret stuff from God,
      doesn't he? Why didn't he just say it in his own words, like my teacher at
      school taught us? She's teaching us things like how to write stuff from our own
      'x-per-i-ence. She said when we learn how to write in our own voice, it touches
      people somehow. Its better that way, she said. Didn't Paulji go to school when
      he was little like me? Didn't he have a teacher tell him that, too? I'm
      confused, daddy! I thought Paulji knew stuff! This scares me daddy!"

      "Oh, sweetheart, Paulji wrote from his own experience in some of his books. He
      just used other people's words to say it, that's all. He made other people's
      words into something different."

      "But why would he want to use other-people's-words, daddy? Are
      other-people's-words better than his? And how did they know he played jar-eyes
      if he changed the words into something different? I want to hear his own words,
      daddy. I don't understand! I thought they were his own words you read to me
      when you tuck me in at night. I thought Paulji was real! He lied, he lied,
      didn't he daddy?" Tears begin to fall from her eyes.

      Her father now heartbroken, and with a choking voice, he whispers softly,
      "Honey, I know its confusing. Mommy and I didn't know you could hear us
      talking. It's something you will understand better when you're a little older.
      We didn't mean to upset you. I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..."

      "Daddy, is Paulji going to get in trouble? You told me he was a Master, a
      person from the God-worlds. Is he still from the God-worlds, daddy?"

      "Oh, sweetheart, don't cry, little one. Daddy and mommy love you. It's going to
      be okay."

      Leafeater

      | Next | Prev | Follow-up | Reply | Post New | 35 New |
      | Junk All | Newsgroups | Help |

      | View Article | Forward Article | Supersede Article | Cancel Article | Rot-13 |
      | Display Options | NewsReader.Com |
    • lemrag3
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2002

        --- In eckankartruth@y..., "brighttigress" <
        brighttigress@y...> wrote:
        > (Sometimes we get all caught up in all the bullshit & we forget the
        plain, simple, and obvious *truth* that even children can see...)

        From the eyes of a child...tomleafeater@a...
        (Tom Leafeater)

        ***This is an absolutely wonderful piece,
        Leaf, and illustrates the lie that eckists must
        live in order to cling to their chosen cult.
        Knowing, or at least even half suspecting,
        that one's life is based on bullshit has to
        take an incredible amount of energy to
        sustain. At least the sparkling eyes of a
        young one can see through the deception.
        Maybe more eckie parents should listen to
        their kids for guidance :-)***

        -Charlie-