Re: [eckankartruth] Re: The membership cancelation form letter

  • Randy Cable
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2002
      Your form letter from Eckankar reads just like mine
      did.
      Randy

      --- colleen russell <colleenmft@...> wrote:
> [...]
      > world
      > on one's own two feet. Where are the kind words of
      > support? Leave eckankar and you're punished --
      > "spiritual" status reduced, privileges removed -- as
      > though leaving eckankar would have anything to do
      > with
      > one's spiritual progress and so-called "inner
      > initiations."
      >

      > Eckankar's response to someone who has made the
      > adult
      > choice to leave demonstrates there is no
      > "graduation"
      > in this org.
      >
      > Quite cold remarks for someone who has given up
      > himself to "surrender to the inner master" .
      >
      > Colleen
      > - alphagator <alphagator@...> wrote:
      > > --- In eckankartruth@y..., "royalcourt5"
      > > <royalcourt5@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > [Andy quoting form letter]
      > >
      > > > Dear ...,
      > > >
      > > > We have received your letter asking that we
      > cancel
      > > your membership
      > > in
      > > > Eckankar. We respect your freedom of choice.
      > > >
      > > > As you may know, your cancelation will mean that
      > > all your Eckankar
      > > > mailings and other membership privileges will be
      > > discontinued and
      > > the
      > > > records of your past discourse study and Eck
      > > initiations will be
      > > > removed. Also an Eck chela who cancels is asked
      > > wait six months
      > > or
      > > > more before reapplying for membership in Eck,
      > and
      > > would begin again
      > > > as a new member in Eckankar.
      > > >
      > > > Before completing this change, we would
      > appreciate
      > > your
      > > confirmation
      > > > that you do wish to end your Eckankar
      > membership.
      > > If this is your
      > > > request, please sign and date this letter below
      > > and return it to
      > > the
      > > > attention of Membership Services.
      > >
      > > In spite of lip service to respecting "freedom of
      > > choice", can't
      > > Eckankar take it's members word for it when they
      > say
      > > want to quit in
      > > a signed letter?
      > >
      > > Rhetorical question.
      > >
      > > -David
      > >

      > =====
      > This electronic mail transmission may contain
      > privileged,
      > confidential and/or proprietary information intended
      > only for the person(s) named. Any use,
      > distribution, copying or disclosure to another
      > person is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
      > addressee indicated in this message (or responsible
      > for delivery of the message to such person), you may
      > not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such
      > case, you should destroy this message and kindly

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Randy Cable
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2002
        I think it is the bold, adventurous and daring who
        leave Eckankar. To get beyond the programming of the
        dire consequences of one leaving the feet of the
        massah is a huge step indeed!
        Randy

        --- royalcourt5 <royalcourt5@...> wrote:
        > Hello to you all!
        >
        > As promised to Sharon I post here the form letter I
        > received this
        > week from eckankar after I sent in the membership
        > cancelation letter.
        > I have not found this document in its entirety
        > anywhere on the web. I
        > feel it's a fine testimony of "eckankartruth".
        >
        > I wonder if those of you who left a long time ago
        > also got a letter
        > such as this.
        >
        > Look forward to reading your comments!
        >
        > Andy
        >

        > Dear ...,
        >
        > We have received your letter asking that we cancel
        > your membership in
        > Eckankar. We respect your freedom of choice.
        >
        > As you may know, your cancelation will mean that all
        > your Eckankar
        > mailings and other membership privileges will be
        > discontinued and the
        > records of your past discourse study and Eck
        > initiations will be
        > removed. Also an Eck chela who cancels is asked to
        > wait six months or
        > more before reapplying for membership in Eck, and
        > would begin again
        > as a new member in Eckankar.
        >
        > Before completing this change, we would appreciate
        > your confirmation
        > that you do wish to end your Eckankar membership. If
        > this is your
        > request, please sign and date this letter below and
        > return it to the
        > attention of Membership Services.
        >
        > Your time and attention in responding is
        > appreciated, and you have
        > our best wishes in your spiritual endeavors.
        >
        > With goodwill,

        > Membership Services
        >

        > Yes, I do wish to cancel my Eck membership.
        >
        > Name ____________ Eck ID No. ____________
        >
        > Signature _________ Date ____________
        >
        > If you wish, you may give the reasons for your
        > cancelation on the
        > reverse side of this letter.

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • royalcourt5
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2002
          --- In eckankartruth@y..., "alphagator" <alphagator@y...> wrote:
          > --- In eckankartruth@y..., "royalcourt5" <royalcourt5@y...> wrote:
          >
          > [Andy quotes the infamous membership cancellation letter...]
          >
          > > Dear ...,
          > >
          > > We have received your letter asking that we cancel your
          membership
          > in
          > > Eckankar. We respect your freedom of choice.
          > >
          > > As you may know, your cancelation will mean that all your
          Eckankar
          > > mailings and other membership privileges will be discontinued and
          > the
          > > records of your past discourse study and Eck initiations will be
          > > removed. Also an Eck chela who cancels is asked to wait six
          months
          > or
          > > more before reapplying for membership in Eck, and would begin
          again
          > > as a new member in Eckankar.
          > >
          > > Before completing this change, we would appreciate your
          > confirmation
          > > that you do wish to end your Eckankar membership. If this is your
          > > request, please sign and date this letter below and return it to
          > the
          > > attention of Membership Services.
          >
          > In spite of lip service to respecting "freedom of choice", can't
          > Eckankar take it's members word for it when they say want to quit
          in
          > a signed letter?
          >
          > That was a rhetorical question. It would be interesting if someone
          > sent them a certified letter requesting their membership be
          > cancelled -- leaving no reasonable doubt they want to cancel their
          > membership -- then see if they *still* ask if they *really* want to
          > leave. (It's not as if indoctrinated members don't know
          > the "pitfalls" of leaving.)
          >
          > -David

          Hello David!

          Sharon and others have prepared me for this form letter but I still
          ask myself the question: why do I have to send in my signature one
          more time? The first letter I even sent in registered, because where
          I live sometimes postal services are not that reliable. This would
          have been enough to end any contractual agreement (if the terms
          stipulate the right to terminate the agreement) anywhere in the world.

          I can only assume that they're playing games with me and most likely
          everybody else who ever "dared" to leave eckankar. If they were
          truly serious about "spiritual freedom" they would not possibly send
          out such letters. Funny thing here: if they had not sent me this form
          I might have thought they would really respect my "freedom of choice".

          One also has to consider the fact that if I don't send in the form
          they keep me on the "passive membership roll": I'm not taking up any
          discourses but I'm still an initiate. Looks good in statistics <g>.
          We have got so many "active" and so many "passive" members. I wanted
          to make sure I wasn't either of them.

          The form letter, of course, could also be something like a "last
          stand": I've noticed that the terms "eck" or "eckankar" all in CAPS
          appear NINE times throughout the whole letter. It's
          almost "hypnotic". I did not use caps in my post because I can't
          stand that "shouting" any longer.

          I'm pretty sure that in Minneapolis they don't care what we read into
          their form letters. Still, it would be nice to know what they were
          thinking when they came up with it, just for the record <g>.

          Andy