George Harrison(1943-2001) - RIP

  • al_radzik@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2001
      Last night, my musical partner of 30 years e-mailed me this:

      Dear chum of mine at People Magazine just informed me he is
      working on the George Harrison story and that George has just left
      UCLA today to fly back to England or Hawaii to live out his life. When
      I asked him what the inside story is on how long George has, he said
      it could be as little as only days. Does this hit you as deeply as it
      does me? Robert

      I put together a little tribute and fired back at him:

      > Perhaps its may go like this, Bob:
      >
      > GH: What is life?
      >
      > And a voice may answer, Do you want to know a secret?
      >
      > GH: I've been searching for a long, long, long time.
      >
      > VOICE:I want to tell you, life goes on within you and without you.
      >
      > GH: It's all too much, but if I needed someone, would you be my
      baby...cos everybody's tryin to be my baby!

      > VOICE: You like me too much.........and I like you.
      >
      > GH: Don't bother me while my guitar gently weeps!!
      >
      > VOICE: IT's time for the Inner Light, George, and it's for you,
      blue.

      > GH: My Sweet Lord?
      >
      > VOICE: I love you too. Now get rid of that old brown shoe, and Roll
      over Beethoven......Here comes the son....

      I woke up this morning an found that George had passed away. Although
      I was shocked and saddened at the suddenness and violent nature of
      John's death, I feel like I've lost a friend/guardian angel in George,
      a primary inspiration and influence in my musical endeavors since
      January, 1964.
      RIP, George.

      Alfie
    • tomleafeater@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2001
        Crossposted from a.r.e.:

        I was a little boy in '64. The first LP I ever owned, a gift from my mother,
        was a Beatles album. I must have been seven or eight years old. It was the
        first music I strongly identified with as a child. Amazing songwriters, they
        were. I always liked the quiet Beatle, George. He seemed like the "spiritual"
        one, to me. Light a candle for good 'ol George, and sing, "Here comes the
        sun,"
        and say, "its all right." Maybe George has now joined with John on the other
        side to make far more cosmic music. I've included a few lyrics of Harrison and
        Lenin, in tribute to them. My favorite among them is "Across the Universe."

        -Leaf

        While My Guitar Gently Weeps (George Harrison, 1943-2001)

        "I look at you all see the love there that's sleeping
        While my guitar gently weeps
        I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping
        Still my guitar gently weeps
        I don't know why nobody told you how to unfold your love
        I don't know how someone controlled you
        They bought and sold you.

        "I look at the world and I notice it's turning
        While my guitar gently weeps
        With every mistake we must surely be learning
        Still my guitar gently weeps
        I don't know how you were diverted
        You were perverted too
        I don't know how you were inverted
        No one alerted you.

        "I look at you all see the love there that's sleeping
        While my guitar gently weeps
        Look at you all...
        Still my guitar gently weeps.

        Free As A Bird (Lennon/McCartney/Harrison/Starkey)

        "Free As A Bird,
        It's the next best thing to be free as a bird.
        Home, home and dry
        Like a homing bird I fly, as a bird on wings
        Whatever happened to the life that we once knew
        Can we really live without each other
        Where did we lose the touch
        That seemed to mean so much
        It always made me feel so
        Free as a bird,
        It's the next best thing to be free as a bird.
        Home home and dry
        Like a homing bird I fly--a bird on wing
        Whatever happened to the life that we once knew
        Always made me feel soooo
        Free

        "Free as a bird
        It's the next best thing to be
        Free as a bird
        Free as a bird
        Free as a bird"

        Within You Without You (Harrison)

        "We were talking-about the space between us all
        And the people-who hide themselves behind a wall of illusion
        Never glimpse the truth-then it's far too late-when they pass away.
        We were talking-about the love we all could share-when we find it
        To try our best to hold it there-with our love
        With our love-we could save the world-if they only knew.
        Try to realise it's all within yourself
        No-one else can make you change
        And to see you're really only very small,
        And life flows within you and without you.
        We were talking-about the love that's gone so cold and the people,
        Who gain the world and lose their soul-
        They don't know-they can't see-are you one of them?
        When you've seen beyond yourself-then you may find, peace of mind,
        Is waiting there-
        And the time will come when you see
        we're all one, and life flows on within you and without you. Maybe Lenin's
        lyrics say it best:

        Across The Universe (Lennon/McCartney)

        "Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup,
        They slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe
        Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my open mind,
        Possessing and caressing me.
        Jai guru deva om
        Nothing's gonna change my world,
        Nothing's gonna change my world.

        "Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes,
        That call me on and on across the universe,
        Thoughts meander like a restless wind inside a letter box they
        Tumble blindly as they make their way
        Across the universe
        Jai guru deva om
        Nothing's gonna change my world,
        Nothing's gonna change my world.

        "Sounds of laughter shades of earth are ringing
        Through my open views inviting and inciting me
        Limitless undying love which shines around me like a
        million suns, it calls me on and on

      • mahavahana@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2001

          > I woke up this morning an found that George had passed away.
          Although
          > I was shocked and saddened at the suddenness and violent nature of
          > John's death, I feel like I've lost a friend/guardian angel in
          George,
          > a primary inspiration and influence in my musical endeavors since
          > January, 1964.
          > RIP, George.
          >
          > Alfie

          I feel the same. So much can be said for George and what he gave to
          the world. Far more than just an entertainer, he was a sincere
          spiritual seeker of integrity and a positive role model, what all
          Hippies should have measured up to. He may have been the first rock
          star to give a large performance for charity -- the concert for
          Bangladesh.

          Strange, but for some reason I remember where I was when I heard John
          Lennon had been murdered -- i was living in an eck household. I felt
          nothing in my eck vairagi detachment, and thought all those who
          mourned for Lennon, or for anyone, were fools. It's nice to be able
          to feel human emotion, even that of loss of someone you never met,
          but whose life touched you deeply.
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2001
            --- In eckankartruth@y..., mahavahana@y... wrote:
            > I feel the same. So much can be said for George and what he gave
            > the world. Far more than just an entertainer, he was a sincere
            > spiritual seeker of integrity and a positive role model, what all
            > Hippies should have measured up to. He may have been the first
            rock
            > star to give a large performance for charity -- the concert for
            > Bangladesh.

            George and the Beatle's music is what I remember the most from my
            younger years. They bring back fond memories. God bless you George.

            > Strange, but for some reason I remember where I was when I heard
            John
            > Lennon had been murdered -- i was living in an eck household. I
            felt
            > nothing in my eck vairagi detachment, and thought all those who
            > mourned for Lennon, or for anyone, were fools. It's nice to be
            able
            > to feel human emotion, even that of loss of someone you never met,
            > but whose life touched you deeply.

            I remember eck vairagi detachment being coerced in eckist's heads
            all so well. I've seen so many members just turn the other cheek to
            show compassion or show some emotion to others. I never did quite
            understand how members took this frame of mind so seriously. So
            called member friends of mine were once friendly and outgoing when I
            first joined and now they are alone and self-centered.

            Steve
          • samorez@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2001
              The Beatles were my older brothers. They held hands, I held hands. They
              smoked pot and took acid, I smoked pot and took acid. They thumbed their
              noses at Sexy Sadie, I left Eckankar. Now two of them are gone and I will
              miss George as much as I miss John. Even Eckankar's emotional deadness
              couldn't stop my tears when they shot John. I shed tears today too.

              Yes, All Things Must Pass, but no one said it wouldn't hurt.

              'Sam'

              p.s. I liked what George recently said about current popular music. He said
              it's either cutsey-wutsey or cold and hard. Couldn't agree more.

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
                --- In eckankartruth@y..., mahavahana@y... wrote:

                > I feel the same. So much can be said for George and what he gave
                > the world. Far more than just an entertainer, he was a sincere
                > spiritual seeker of integrity and a positive role model, what all
                > Hippies should have measured up to. He may have been the first
                rock
                > star to give a large performance for charity -- the concert for
                > Bangladesh.

                I wish I could remember the exact thing I heard on the radio this
                afternoon...they were doing a "retrospective" and played a tape of
                his talking about there not being much different between the living
                and the dead, except the "living" have bodies. And he said something
                about how the living are being "breathed into". I was driving,
                couldn't write it down.

                But...it evoked such a powerful feeling in me, such an image...how we
                exist here physically because God is breathing into us, pouring
                Spirit into us, all the time...

                He said it *so* beautifully!

                > Strange, but for some reason I remember where I was when I heard
                John
                > Lennon had been murdered -- i was living in an eck household. I
                felt
                > nothing in my eck vairagi detachment, and thought all those who
                > mourned for Lennon, or for anyone, were fools. It's nice to be
                able
                > to feel human emotion, even that of loss of someone you never met,
                > but whose life touched you deeply.

                Joe, you really hit the nail on the head here..."It's nice to be able
                to feel human emotion..."

                I wonder, can others look back and see how horribly the cult &
                its "teachings" and our sincere heartfelt practice took so
                much "life" away from us? And how we thought it was all so
                wonderful?

                How long does it take, I wonder, to return to "normal" again?

                I don't have the words to explain it...but it messed with us, didn't
                it!

                All I can say is... "REAL" is so incredibly & infinitely better than
                that false reality imposed on us by eckankult!

                If anyone knows what I mean, and can say it better, well...feel free
                to help me out here!!!!