scientology troubles

  • Vic Shayne
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 2, 2001
      Execkists may think something of this I just read on
      scientology while surfing the web...
      It seems some groups are really pissed off at
      scientology because they dared capitalize on the
      September 11 tragedy by fooling one of the major
      networks into posting their phone number as part of
      the listings of emergency mental health assistance. I
      found this by searching for the word "protest" or "protests."

      Find a job, post your resume.
      http://careers.yahoo.com
    • Vic Shayne
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 2, 2001
        Regarding
        > I know people who can astral project, and bop
        around...
        > I think there's plenty of real documentation which
        > seems to prove it...

        I strongly disagree with this. There is absolutely no
        proof that has been published to support this.
        Laboratory tests that I have researched fail to prove
        the existence of out of body travel.

        However, having had out of body travels myself, I
        don't necessarily dismiss them. But I do feel that
        many of what are called out of body travels and astral
        travels and soul travels are actually projections of
        the mind. There are only a couple out of hundreds of
        my experiences that I actually feel certain were
        bonafide. After practicing dilligently (long before
        schmeckankar), I became quite proficient at creating
        such "travels" and sometimes at will. Yet they always
        took place during sleep times, at night or during day
        naps. I was able to verify some information that I
        obtained while "traveling," but as I said before,
        there is no proof. Further, there are also suggested
        to be mind projections which are not really travel at
        all.

        Claiming that dream experiences are real out of body
        travels into other worlds is similarly not credible.
        The Dalai Lama has some things to say about this as
        well.

        The problem with schmeckankar is that they are quick
        to say everything is "real," which leads to trusting
        in one's delusions and not separating them from one's
        sound common sense or other experiences. BUT, and this
        is a huge BUT (no pun intended), eckists are also
        quick to say that positive experiences with harold and
        the other characters are real, while negative
        experiences are the works of the kal. It is therefore
        not real if harold comes to me in my dream for advice,
        but it is considered real if harold advises me. If
        really-bizare-tarzs ( as I coined him) chastises you
        in your dream and makes you run around the Eifel Tower
        naked, this may be the kal, but if he is nice and
        gives you a cookie, he is the real thing.

        Harold reminds me of that great line in the movie
        Dream Team about runaway mental patients, when one
        said to his therapist, "Stay out of my delusion."

        Find a job, post your resume.
        http://careers.yahoo.com
      • mahavahana@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 3, 2001
          --- In eckankartruth@y..., Vic Shayne <vicshayne@y...> wrote:
          > --- al_radzik@y... wrote:
          >
          > > Do the names Jack Cannon or Steve Brown come to
          > > mind? They were my
          > > local Eck friends who lured me into the cult in the
          > > mid-eighties.

          I remember Steve Brown of NJ, who was an Eckankar HI and also a
          Sunasu ED. We had dinner together once, at a Denny's I think it was,
          in the late 70s. Steve impressed me as a good guy, though I do
          recall that when he opened his briefcase to get some Sunasu material
          a few eck books popped out.

          It's funny the memories that pop up after all these years. I also
          recall thinking of Brown after I left Eckankar, and wondering just
          why it was he was an Eckist. He impressed me as one of the brightest
          people I'd ever met while in eckankar.
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 3, 2001
            --- In eckankartruth@y..., Vic Shayne <vicshayne@y...> wrote:
            > --- al_radzik@y... wrote:
            >
            > > Do the names Jack Cannon or Steve Brown come to
            > > mind? They were my
            > > local Eck friends who lured me into the cult in the
            > > mid-eighties.
            >
            > No, I do not know either of these guys. Are they still
            > in schmeckankar? And, yes, I remember the very end of
            > the 1950s and early 60s when, as a boy in Miami, I
            > used to have to hide under my desk in case of bombing,
            > which was very reassuring, because as any nuclear
            > physicist worth his uranium will tell you, a student
            > desk, model #2957B will, and I quote from the
            > manufacturer, "protect an individual between 4 and 54
            > years old from no less than 3,000 pounds of bomb
            > fragements that may hit the desktop dead center.
            > Further, this furniture will protect a human being
            > from radioactive waste, fallout and hairspray. And,
            > each desk comes with a fine, maple finish to resist
            > markers and ink."

            <giggle> My elementary school was about a mile from an army base,
            and the teachers assured us that the depot would *definitely* be
            bombed, so it was *very* important that we keep our eyes closed so we
            wouldn't be blinded, and that the kid in the last seat of the window
            row pull the blinds down quickly.

            I planned to peek. After all, I'd sneaked a look at a solar eclipse
            and hadn't been blinded.

            Are you serious about that manufacturer's quote? That's a hoot!

            Sharon
          • al_radzik@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 3, 2001
              --- In eckankartruth@y..., mahavahana@y... wrote:
              > --- In eckankartruth@y..., Vic Shayne <vicshayne@y...> wrote:
              > > --- al_radzik@y... wrote:
              > >
              > > > Do the names Jack Cannon or Steve Brown come to
              > > > mind? They were my
              > > > local Eck friends who lured me into the cult in the
              > > > mid-eighties.
              >
              > I remember Steve Brown of NJ, who was an Eckankar HI and also a
              > Sunasu ED. We had dinner together once, at a Denny's I think it
              was,
              > in the late 70s. Steve impressed me as a good guy, though I do
              > recall that when he opened his briefcase to get some Sunasu material
              > a few eck books popped out.
              >
              > It's funny the memories that pop up after all these years. I also
              > recall thinking of Brown after I left Eckankar, and wondering just
              > why it was he was an Eckist. He impressed me as one of the
              brightest
              > people I'd ever met while in eckankar.

              Hi Maha,

              Yeah, Steve taught a class at Middlesex County College in the
              mid-eighties. It was under the guise of some generic "Dreams: And
              Their Meaning" kind of thing. He didn't push the ECK in the beginning,
              but he certainly had that "Harold Glaze" going and the girls loved
              him. At the end of the 5 week session, he pulled out all the stops to
              sell Eckankar.
              He was very charismatic, but used it to "Peddle Peddar". He looked the
              bohemian artsy-fartsy guy with the jeans and the herringbone jacket. I
              think Steve pulled out on eof Twitch's books and passed it around. It
              had a "picture" of Rebazar in the beginning and the girl next to me
              showed me the picture and said "Doesn't he look like Burt Reynolds
              with a beard?"
              I laughed my ass off!

              Alf