reply to alf

  • Vic Shayne
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 2, 2001
      --- al_radzik@... wrote:

      > Do the names Jack Cannon or Steve Brown come to
      > mind? They were my
      > local Eck friends who lured me into the cult in the
      > mid-eighties.

      No, I do not know either of these guys. Are they still
      in schmeckankar? And, yes, I remember the very end of
      the 1950s and early 60s when, as a boy in Miami, I
      used to have to hide under my desk in case of bombing,
      which was very reassuring, because as any nuclear
      physicist worth his uranium will tell you, a student
      desk, model #2957B will, and I quote from the
      manufacturer, "protect an individual between 4 and 54
      years old from no less than 3,000 pounds of bomb
      fragements that may hit the desktop dead center.
      Further, this furniture will protect a human being
      from radioactive waste, fallout and hairspray. And,
      each desk comes with a fine, maple finish to resist
      markers and ink."

      Find a job, post your resume.
      http://careers.yahoo.com
    • Vic Shayne
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 2, 2001
        Execkists may think something of this I just read on
        scientology while surfing the web...
        It seems some groups are really pissed off at
        scientology because they dared capitalize on the
        September 11 tragedy by fooling one of the major
        networks into posting their phone number as part of
        the listings of emergency mental health assistance. I
        found this by searching for the word "protest" or "protests."

        Find a job, post your resume.
        http://careers.yahoo.com
      • Vic Shayne
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 2, 2001
          Regarding
          > I know people who can astral project, and bop
          around...
          > I think there's plenty of real documentation which
          > seems to prove it...

          I strongly disagree with this. There is absolutely no
          proof that has been published to support this.
          Laboratory tests that I have researched fail to prove
          the existence of out of body travel.

          However, having had out of body travels myself, I
          don't necessarily dismiss them. But I do feel that
          many of what are called out of body travels and astral
          travels and soul travels are actually projections of
          the mind. There are only a couple out of hundreds of
          my experiences that I actually feel certain were
          bonafide. After practicing dilligently (long before
          schmeckankar), I became quite proficient at creating
          such "travels" and sometimes at will. Yet they always
          took place during sleep times, at night or during day
          naps. I was able to verify some information that I
          obtained while "traveling," but as I said before,
          there is no proof. Further, there are also suggested
          to be mind projections which are not really travel at
          all.

          Claiming that dream experiences are real out of body
          travels into other worlds is similarly not credible.
          The Dalai Lama has some things to say about this as
          well.

          The problem with schmeckankar is that they are quick
          to say everything is "real," which leads to trusting
          in one's delusions and not separating them from one's
          sound common sense or other experiences. BUT, and this
          is a huge BUT (no pun intended), eckists are also
          quick to say that positive experiences with harold and
          the other characters are real, while negative
          experiences are the works of the kal. It is therefore
          not real if harold comes to me in my dream for advice,
          but it is considered real if harold advises me. If
          really-bizare-tarzs ( as I coined him) chastises you
          in your dream and makes you run around the Eifel Tower
          naked, this may be the kal, but if he is nice and
          gives you a cookie, he is the real thing.

          Harold reminds me of that great line in the movie
          Dream Team about runaway mental patients, when one
          said to his therapist, "Stay out of my delusion."

          Find a job, post your resume.
          http://careers.yahoo.com
        • mahavahana@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 3, 2001
            --- In eckankartruth@y..., Vic Shayne <vicshayne@y...> wrote:
            > --- al_radzik@y... wrote:
            >
            > > Do the names Jack Cannon or Steve Brown come to
            > > mind? They were my
            > > local Eck friends who lured me into the cult in the
            > > mid-eighties.

            I remember Steve Brown of NJ, who was an Eckankar HI and also a
            Sunasu ED. We had dinner together once, at a Denny's I think it was,
            in the late 70s. Steve impressed me as a good guy, though I do
            recall that when he opened his briefcase to get some Sunasu material
            a few eck books popped out.

            It's funny the memories that pop up after all these years. I also
            recall thinking of Brown after I left Eckankar, and wondering just
            why it was he was an Eckist. He impressed me as one of the brightest
            people I'd ever met while in eckankar.
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 3, 2001
              --- In eckankartruth@y..., Vic Shayne <vicshayne@y...> wrote:
              > --- al_radzik@y... wrote:
              >
              > > Do the names Jack Cannon or Steve Brown come to
              > > mind? They were my
              > > local Eck friends who lured me into the cult in the
              > > mid-eighties.
              >
              > No, I do not know either of these guys. Are they still
              > in schmeckankar? And, yes, I remember the very end of
              > the 1950s and early 60s when, as a boy in Miami, I
              > used to have to hide under my desk in case of bombing,
              > which was very reassuring, because as any nuclear
              > physicist worth his uranium will tell you, a student
              > desk, model #2957B will, and I quote from the
              > manufacturer, "protect an individual between 4 and 54
              > years old from no less than 3,000 pounds of bomb
              > fragements that may hit the desktop dead center.
              > Further, this furniture will protect a human being
              > from radioactive waste, fallout and hairspray. And,
              > each desk comes with a fine, maple finish to resist
              > markers and ink."

              <giggle> My elementary school was about a mile from an army base,
              and the teachers assured us that the depot would *definitely* be
              bombed, so it was *very* important that we keep our eyes closed so we
              wouldn't be blinded, and that the kid in the last seat of the window
              row pull the blinds down quickly.

              I planned to peek. After all, I'd sneaked a look at a solar eclipse
              and hadn't been blinded.

              Are you serious about that manufacturer's quote? That's a hoot!

              Sharon
            • al_radzik@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 3, 2001
                --- In eckankartruth@y..., mahavahana@y... wrote:
                > --- In eckankartruth@y..., Vic Shayne <vicshayne@y...> wrote:
                > > --- al_radzik@y... wrote:
                > >
                > > > Do the names Jack Cannon or Steve Brown come to
                > > > mind? They were my
                > > > local Eck friends who lured me into the cult in the
                > > > mid-eighties.
                >
                > I remember Steve Brown of NJ, who was an Eckankar HI and also a
                > Sunasu ED. We had dinner together once, at a Denny's I think it
                was,
                > in the late 70s. Steve impressed me as a good guy, though I do
                > recall that when he opened his briefcase to get some Sunasu material
                > a few eck books popped out.
                >
                > It's funny the memories that pop up after all these years. I also
                > recall thinking of Brown after I left Eckankar, and wondering just
                > why it was he was an Eckist. He impressed me as one of the
                brightest
                > people I'd ever met while in eckankar.

                Hi Maha,

                Yeah, Steve taught a class at Middlesex County College in the
                mid-eighties. It was under the guise of some generic "Dreams: And
                Their Meaning" kind of thing. He didn't push the ECK in the beginning,
                but he certainly had that "Harold Glaze" going and the girls loved
                him. At the end of the 5 week session, he pulled out all the stops to
                sell Eckankar.
                He was very charismatic, but used it to "Peddle Peddar". He looked the
                bohemian artsy-fartsy guy with the jeans and the herringbone jacket. I
                think Steve pulled out on eof Twitch's books and passed it around. It
                had a "picture" of Rebazar in the beginning and the girl next to me
                showed me the picture and said "Doesn't he look like Burt Reynolds
                with a beard?"
                I laughed my ass off!

                Alf