book reviews

  • Vic Shayne
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2001
      I have heard that Eckankar is prone to filing lawsuits
      against people who want to publish the truth about
      this organization. After reading the Talons of Time
      book review, I was impressed with the notion of how we
      can spread the news about eck nonsense through the
      freedom of literary (and I use this term in the
      loosest sense) reviews.

      Maybe someone should set up a website just full of eck
      book reviews. Then there would be a forum protected by
      law for showing the inconsistencies, lies,
      contradictions, nonsense and outright plagiarisms that
      are at the very foundation of eckankar.

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • David D. Rogers
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 13, 2001
        --- In eckankartruth@y..., Vic Shayne <vicshayne@y...> wrote:
        > I have heard that Eckankar is prone to filing lawsuits
        > against people who want to publish the truth about
        > this organization.

        The only person I know of whom they've actually filed a lawsuit
        against was David Lane, and they settled out-of-court under terms
        that were fairly favorable to Lane. They threatened to sue him again
        in the mid-90s because David Rife used the original book jacket with
        a cross through the "EK" logo, that the eckists sued over in the
        first place. The ironic thing is that they threatened Lane over
        something that Rife did on his own. I don't know exactly how it
        ended, but I think they dropped it once it hit them that it was
        something that Lane didn't do, and Rife doctored the doctored "EK"
        logo with a question mark, representing the questions we all have
        about that secretive organization.

        They did threaten to sue Garland Publishing, which was to publish
        Lane's book as (an expensive--$50) library edition. I don't know
        whether they simply threatened to file a suit or if they actually
        went through with it and filed it. But either way, they succeeded--
        and Garland never published the book.

        (In one way, perhaps it's for the best, since the book is a *lot*
        cheaper. On the other hand, it probably would have been in a lot more
        libraries; Garland's books are usually reference works that are found
        in libraries, not book stores. And he almost certainly would have
        been allowed to put it on the Internet, like his Garland-published
        book "Exposing Cults". That's probably where most people have read
        it.)

        As far as I know, none of the suits they filed have actually gone to
        trial. I think they probably get more milage out of threatening suits
        than if one were to actually go to trial, especially if the defendant
        were willing to put up with one.

        After reading the Talons of Time
        > book review, I was impressed with the notion of how we
        > can spread the news about eck nonsense through the
        > freedom of literary (and I use this term in the
        > loosest sense) reviews.
        >
        > Maybe someone should set up a website just full of eck
        > book reviews. Then there would be a forum protected by
        > law for showing the inconsistencies, lies,
        > contradictions, nonsense and outright plagiarisms that
        > are at the very foundation of eckankar.

        It wouldn't be necessary, but it would be a great idea, particularly
        if some of the reviews were written by outsiders who otherwise
        couldn't give a lick about eckankar one way or the other.

        BTW--my apologies for posting my last message to this group three
        times! I pressed the "Back" button on my web browser a couple of
        times after posting it, not quite realizing what I was doing.

        Peace,

        <> David
      • David D. Rogers
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 13, 2001
          --- In eckankartruth@y..., "David D. Rogers" <alphagator@y...> wrote:
          > The only person I know of whom they've actually filed a lawsuit
          > against was David Lane, and they settled out-of-court under terms
          > that were fairly favorable to Lane. They threatened to sue him
          again
          > in the mid-90s because David Rife used the original book jacket
          with
          > a cross through the "EK" logo, that the eckists sued over in the
          > first place. The ironic thing is that they threatened Lane over
          > something that Rife did on his own. I don't know exactly how it
          > ended, but I think they dropped it once it hit them that it was
          > something that Lane didn't do, and Rife doctored the doctored "EK"
          > logo with a question mark, representing the questions we all have
          > about that secretive organization.

          I probably should have been more clear--Rife changed the book cover
          after Lane received the legal threat. And that incident led to my
          putting the book up on the web as well, making it even more available.

          Peace,

          <> David
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 14, 2001
            --- In eckankartruth@y..., "David D. Rogers" <alphagator@y...> wrote:

            > > Maybe someone should set up a website just full of eck
            > > book reviews. Then there would be a forum protected by
            > > law for showing the inconsistencies, lies,
            > > contradictions, nonsense and outright plagiarisms that
            > > are at the very foundation of eckankar.
            >
            > It wouldn't be necessary, but it would be a great idea,
            particularly
            > if some of the reviews were written by outsiders who otherwise
            > couldn't give a lick about eckankar one way or the other.

            Well, when I was a member, it was "suggested" that we go to
            Amazon.com and post favorable comments on all the eckbooks.

            I posted a few "reviews" there after I left <gg> but mostly, I
            don't have time...but not too long ago, I popped into a few and
            saw others had posted "against" the books.

            > BTW--my apologies for posting my last message to this group three
            > times! I pressed the "Back" button on my web browser a couple of
            > times after posting it, not quite realizing what I was doing.

            I've done that, too! Don't worry about duplicates...I just delete
            them when I see them.

            Wouldn't it be wonderful, though, if there would be some miracle and
            the cult would "come clean"? Then we could have some closure, and
            not have to spend *any* time even thinking about it all, except maybe
            once in awhile for a good laugh at ourselves...

          • Vic Shayne
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 15, 2001
              Regarding the cult world "coming clean"...

              It's funny how our lives have been shaken, shaped and
              even enriched by the eckankar experience! Most
              importantly, for me, was the discovery of how and why
              cults exist and the purpose they serve for people
              throughout the ages. While caught up in them, people
              believe they have found the "truth" and the meaning in
              life. Unfortunately, their minds become very closed
              when they believe that just the opposite has happened.
              They have been fooled by the guy pretending to know it
              all, have it all under control and in possession of
              the secrets of life. Until I left eckankar, I had no
              idea of how prevalent cults are and how far cults go
              back in history. It seems that as long as people are
              searching for some form of truth to satisfy their
              eager minds, cults will be there with convenient
              answers. I don't think cults will ever be routed out
              of existence because they pretend to provide answers
              that gullible people settle upon. Cults are like
              suits, certain ones fit certain personalities. Some
              are severe and overt in their rules and rituals, while
              others, like eckankar, are extremely subtle in their
              divisiveness and manipulations.

              One thing I discovered in this trip down cultism was
              the works of Joseph Campbell -- most notably his
              statement that led me to look for the meaning IN life
              rather than the meaning OF life. I also learned that
              when someone says he knows the key to the secret
              worlds, it's time to put on your track shoes and run
              as fast as you can in the opposite direction, away
              from la-la land!

              http://personals.yahoo.com