8364Fw: Welcome to Vol. 13, No. 3 September-October 2012 edition of the reFOCUS Forum: An Internet Newsletter for Recovery

    Sep 1, 2012

      Welcome to Vol. 13, No. 3 September-October 2012 edition of the

      reFOCUS Forum: An Internet Newsletter for Recovery

      reFOCUS is a network of referral and support for former members of closed, high demand groups, relationships or cults.

      reFOCUS is dedicated to the recovery of former members…please visit our web site at http://www.refocus.org We are a tax-exempt not-for-profit corporation - all contributions to reFOCUS are 100% tax deductible. Because reFOCUS is dedicated to recovery, we are looking for suggestions and input from you: are there articles or topics you want to see covered? Are there questions you need answered? Email us at refocuscarol@.att.net

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Free resources and articles

      ICSA is proud to welcome STARTING OUT IN MAINSTREAM AMERICA by Livia Bardin, an online resource for people who have left cults, their families and friends, and professionals working to help them.

      Online at http://startingout.icsa.name.

      Starting Out is a compendium of information ranging from practical needs like how to get a photo ID or a copy of a high school diploma, to cultural catch-up, like types of popular music or quotations from classic movies, to  concepts like relationships with others.  There are detailed sections on basics like health, education, careers, and money management, as well as consumer tips on subjects from housing to selecting a doctor or counselor.  Sections on “Parenting After the Cult” and “Teenagers on Their Own,” focus on the needs of younger people who have left cults.  Though oriented  to those living in the U.S.,  Starting Out contains much that will be useful to people in all countries.

      Author Livia Bardin, M.S.W., is a social worker who has specialized in research on cults and the experiences  of cult victims.  Her book, Coping with Cult Involvement, focuses on families with loved ones in cults. Her research on the experiences of children in cults has been published in in the Cultic Studies Review and the Journal of Public Child Welfare.

      Available online only, Starting Out is accessible to anyone and sections are downloadable free of charge. Users are prohibited from selling or charging for information downloaded from the site.

      Featured Article

      Questions to Ask Your Prospective Therapist

      Margaret Thaler Singer, Ph.D.

      Janja Lalich, Ph.D.

      Excerpts from the book: "Crazy" Therapies: What are They? Do They Work? for AFF News, Vol. 3, No. 1.  Excerpted with permission from "Crazy" Therapies: What Are They? Do They Work? By Dr. Margaret Thaler Singer and Janja Lalich, copyright 1996 by Dr. Margaret Thaler Singer, Ph.D. and Janja Lalich, Ph.D., by Jossey-Bass Inc., Publishers, 350 Sansome Street, San Francisco, California 94104 (800-956-7739). Available through ICSA’s Bookstore.

      Ultimately, a therapist is a service provider who sells a service.  A prospective client should feel free to ask enough questions to be able to make an informed decision about whether to hire a particular therapist.

      We have provided a general list of questions to ask a prospective therapist, but feel free to ask whatever you need to know in order to make a proper evaluation.  Consider interviewing several therapists before settling on one, just as you might in purchasing any product.

      Draw up your list of questions before phoning or going in for your first appointment.  We recommend that you ask these questions in a phone interview first, so that you can weed out unlikely candidates and save yourself the time and expense of initial visits that don’t go anywhere.

      If during the process a therapist continues to ask you, “Why do you ask?” or acts as though your questioning reflects some defect in you, think carefully before signing up.  Those types of responses will tell you a lot about the entire attitude this person will express toward you – that is, that you are one down and he is one up, and that furthermore you are quaint to even ask the “great one” to explain himself.

      If you are treated with disdain for asking about what you are buying, think ahead:  how could this person lead you to feel better, plan better, or have more self-esteem if he begins by putting you down for being an alert consumer?  Remember, you may be feeling bad and even desperate, but there are thousands of mental health professionals, so if this one is not right, keep on phoning and searching.

      1.    How long is the therapy session?

      2.    How often should I see you?

      3.    How much do you charge? Do you have a sliding scale?

      4.    Do you accept insurance?

      5.    If I have to miss an appointment, will I be billed?

      6.    If I am late, or if you are late, what happens?

      7.    Tell me something about your educational background, your degrees.  Are you licensed?

      8.    Tell me about your experience, and your theoretical orientation.  What type of clients have you seen?  Are there areas you specialize in?

      9.    Do you use hypnosis or other types of trance-inducing techniques?

      10. Do you have a strong belief in the supernatural?  Do you believe in UFOs, past lives, or paranormal events?  Do you have any kind of personal philosophy that guides your work with all your clients?

      11. Do you value scientific research?  How do you keep up with research and developments in your field?

      12. Do you believe that it’s okay to touch your clients or be intimate with them?

      13. Do you usually set treatment goals with a client?  How are those determined?  How long do you think I will need therapy?

      14. Will you see my partner, spouse, or child with me if necessary in the future?

      15. Are you reachable in a crisis?  How are such consultations billed?

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      Comments, questions, and suggestion?  email us at refocuscarol@...

      reFOCUS, Flagler Beach, FL 32136

      386-439-7541