8161Re: Unscrambling the pieces

    Sep 18, 2011
      Yes, Etznab, I read the Jesus Mysteries too. There is no actual "proof" of Jesus existence. All we have is the esoterica, some vague accounts by others and the writings of Josephus. I do believe that most scholars now believe that there probably was a person like Jesus around the time he lived. No one can pinpoint the exact date but this begs the question as to why the teachings of Christianity have evolved into the largest denominations on Earth. They had to have had a source. That being said, I seriously doubt if the teachings of Twitchell will ever evolve. His path had been bastardized by two successors and Eckankar is by no means catching on fire in the world. I would even suspect that membership is stagnant or waning because Paul stole some great ideas from the "heavyweight" paths but never followed through on his claims. Like an amateur, he simply took buzz phrases from all religions and created a "quick fix" religion called Soul Travel. To me, (and I've said it before), it is the MacDonald's of all religions. Fast and tasty but of little nutritional value.

      --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, etznab@... wrote:

      > Since you mentioned Jesus I would like to comment. How does anybody
      > know there was a person who matches the story told about Jesus? There
      > is a section in Ford Johnson's book about the story of Jesus and how
      > similar to stories from other cultures.
      >
      > It was over 2,000 years ago, the story of Jesus. How do I, or anybody,
      > know for sure the story about Jesus is true in all its details? Just
      > because so many people say so? So many people who were not even born
      > until centuries after the fact?
      >
      > When I hear people talking about how they lived during the time of
      > Jesus and they comment about his life, it usually always matches with
      > popular belief. Then sometimes people change the details a bit, saying
      > Jesus lived for a time in their country (India, etc.). Well, I don't
      > believe beyond a doubt all of those stories either because, Why should
      > I?
      >
      > Suppose there wasn't an Internet and information sharing like we have
      > today where people can research information to verify whether true. And
      > suppose that all people had to know about history of Eckankar were the
      > new and updated Eckankar books. Fast forward 2,000 years from now and
      > what do you suppose the books would say? Would they match the ones
      > being printed today? or would they contain (if allowed to do so) even
      > more embellishments, etc. etc.?
      >
      > If I were living in a world 2,000 years from now I could be skeptical
      > about the stories just the same as then from now. In such a world,
      > however, How could I find the truth?
      >
      > Just because people say it's so, that doesn't mean its true. IMHO.
      >
      > Now I suppose there WERE people living during and after the time period
      > attributed to Jesus. What are their versions about the time period and
      > do any of their writings survive in original form? So many people
      > probably claim that they do, but how can this be proved?
      >
      > If you ask me, Catholicism became an arm of the Holy Roman Empire that
      > was used to conquer and subjugate peoples from many countries at a time
      > when the Pope chose the Emperors, Kings and leaders of those same
      > countries. Those countries and their Kings could be later "ordered" to
      > go on Crusades and do just what the armies in the Old Testament
      > reportedly did by the command of Jehovah; Kill every man, woman and
      > child. The same God that reportedly told Moses: Thou shalt not kill,
      > etc." And what were all those people fighting about in the first place?
      > Some said holy regions in the Middle East. Places that had to do with
      > Jesus and Mohammad. And still today, centuries later, people are still
      > fighting over those same areas. It's not to say that Catholicism, or
      > any religion is total malware, badware. It's only to say that if the
      > truth be known, I suspect there would be less reasons to kill innocent
      > people in the name of religion.
      >
      > When I consider the scope and repercussions today for even challenging
      > the stories about Jesus and Mohammad I realize how powerful are the
> [...]
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic