      From: etznab <etznab@...>
      To: eckankartruth <eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sat, Jan 29, 2011 12:23 pm
      Subject: Re: [eckankartruth] Sharyat Ki Sugmad

      I think "Shariyat-Ki-Sugmad was described" as basically meaning: "way
      of the eternal".

      My guess is that "Shariyat" corresponds with "way"; "Ki" with "of"; and
      "Sugmad" with "eternal". It's only a guess. I'm not positively certain.

      In Sanskrit, a number of words beginning with "Sug-" basically mean
      "good". Greek has a prefix "Eu-". I don't know if the two are related.

      Try going here:

      http://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/scans/MWScan/tamil/index.html

      In the first box choose All Dictionaries. In the second box type the
      letters sug. To the right of that specify prefix and then click start
      search.

      When the g is changed to an r (ex: sur) definitions appear to suggest
      something to do with god, or gods. IMO.

      There is not a word in that dictionary (that I know of) where "-mad" is
      suffixed to "sug-". There is a case, however, where "-mad" is suffixed
      to "sur-".

      1 (mwd) surAmada m. Sura1-intoxication S3Br.

      Perhaps "sarmad" is related?

      http://wahiduddin.net/cgi-bin/texis/webinator/search_rjs?pr=full_site&prox=page&rorder=250&rprox=750&rdfreq=500&rwfreq=250&rlead=0&sufs=2&order=r&query=sarmad&submit=Submit

      My guess is that some people try to link "sugmad" with "sarmad".
      However, the sanskrit "sug-" does not appear the same as Sanskrit
      "sur-" Perhaps they have "su-" in common?

      If you go back to the Sanskrit dictionary and search for prefix "suk" -
      there again appears the idea of "good" (in some places). Including
      "sukama"

      21 (mwd) sukAma mfn. having good desires MW.; (%{A}) f. Ficus
      Heterophylla L.; (%{-ma})%{-da} mf(%{A}) n. abundantly granting desires
      Hcat.; %{-vrata} n. a partic. religious observance Cat. (v.l.
      %{kAmya-v-}).

      (Above that, however, appears the (otl) -> cukam. The Tamil has a
      "c"
      instead of an "s"?)

      Here is the Tamil version:

      1 (otl) cukam 01 1. happiness pleasure, enjoyment; 2. that which is
      good, wholesome, beneficial; 3. health welfare; 4. ease, comfort; 5.
      cordiality

      The Greek prefix "eu-" can basically mean "good". Now take a look at
      this:

      eu

      prefix in modern use meaning "good, well," from comb. form of Gk. eus
      "good," eu "well" (adv.), also "luckily, happily," from PIE *(e)su-
      "good" (cf. Skt. su- "good," Avestan hu- "good").

      http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=eu&searchmode=none

      No. I don't know what "sugmad" means, because I haven't found that
      spelling for a word in Sanskrit.
      I am familiar, however, with Paul Twitchell's tendency to coin, change
      the spelling of, or replace certain names / words with others. I don't
      know what was / is the case with "sugmad".

      "Way" or "Path" for Sharia can be found in the etymology section here.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia#Etymology

      A word spelled shariat appears here:

      http://wahiduddin.net/mv2/IX/IX_26.htm

      Partial quote:

      "Shariat means the law which is necessary for the generality to
      observe, in order to harmonize with one's surroundings and one's self
      within. Although the religious authorities of Islam have limited this
      law to restrictions, yet in a thousand places in the Quran and Hadith
      one can trace how the law of Shariat is meant to be subject to change,
      in order to suit the time and place. The law of Shariat, unlike any
      other religious law, deals with all aspects of life, and that is why
      the Prophet of Islam had personally to experience all aspects of life.
      [....]"

      http://wahiduddin.net/mv2/IX/IX_26.htm

      It's a good question, IMO. What does Sugmad mean? Maybe search for both
      "sug" and "mad" here?

      http://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/scans/MWScan/tamil/index.html

      I don't know if Paul Twitchell based his definition for "Sugmad" on
      Sanskrit. Maybe find Gail and ask her if she knows where the word came
      from. Afterall, Gail was married to two Eckankar leaders and has
      survived them both.

      Etznab