7972Re: Eckankar belongs in The Onion and God

    Nov 9, 2010
      --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, "prometheus_973" <prometheus_973@...> wrote:

      > Hello All,
      > I found the conversation interesting
      > and thought I'd share my views.
      >
      > In regard to a "personal" God? Which
      > one? Or, is this a new/different one
      > or a new version than what's been
      > advertised and promoted? Isn't this
      > similar to "American Idol" worship?
      > Or, are We our own "personal God?"

      I don't know about a "new version" of a personal God. I am using it generically to denote the God of my childhood but reconditioned in a sense that the anthropomorphic aspect of "God" is merely metaphoric to accommodate those unfamiliar with gaining spiritual nourishment from the Bible. Therefore, my "new" God is on of love and understanding as opposed to sitting on a heavenly throne waiting for you to fuck up so he can throw you in the fire for eternity. The "evil" mentioned is Hell which I also do not ascribe to. I simply believe it is nescience for those who do not pray, meditate and actively allow God to run their lives. I am a firm believer in faith with works and to spend MORE time on helping others selflessly. This is the essence of Love which is God in it's human incarnate.

      > My beliefs have been formed by
      > both objective and subjective criteria.
      > Both compliment each other. The
      > objective gives me feedback in order
      > to have/see or identify the subjective
      > experience more clearly and to have
      > a "spiritual knowingness," or revelation.
      > Sometimes these are rather insignificant
      > and other times (less often) they are
      > moments where everything is perfect
      > and in its rightful place in the Universe.
      > It's hard to explain and I'm still uncertain
      > as to my role... maybe it's a private
      > thing. Each of us has to have our own
      > journey, but it's sometimes connected
      > to the journey of another to a degree
      > that makes a difference or not. Sometimes
      > a negative leads to a positive... and
      > vice versa, and sometimes a positive
      > action equals a positive result but
      > nothing is as it seems!

      There are no large coincidences, just small miracles.

      > Yes, I do believe in Soul and Spirit
      > and that there are nudges and intuition
      > coming from Soul. Therefore, there's
      > no middleman involved except for
      > what I see as me/my "Higher Self."
      > Perhaps, one could say that this/my
      > Higher Self (Soul) is my "personal God."
      > Thus, I AM.... a part of this Divine
      > experience/experiment or Whatever.
      > Religions are for those who have
      > surrendered and given up hope of
      > ever achieving Self Mastery, "God"
      > Knowledge, and Spiritual Freedom.
      >
      > At first religion does offer some
      > positives in that it gets people to
      > think about the divine and to explore
      > their inner selves. It gives people
      > spiritual baby food and then, later,
      > some meat that has already been
      > chewed by others. Religion never
      > gives the individual the freedom
      > to find and chew this spiritual meat
      > on their own because the religious
      > leaders fear that the sheep might
      > leave the confines of the teachings.

      I read the Bible with a grain of salt but get so much out of it when I hear or read something that just clicks. I sometimes need some help with interpretation but even then, I form my own thoughts about it after all.

      > Religionists are slaves of dogma
      > and are the servants of men... conmen!

      Yes, there have been many who have given Christianity a bad rap from David Koresh to the Pope but there are most of us who live a quiet and humble sense of surrender and acceptance.

      > I find it interesting, that in ECKankar,
      > Eckists claim to be Soul and then
      > they take a subservient position
      > under Klemp (their Mahanta/God)
      > when all Souls are considered equal.
      >
      > Klemp even degrades Eckists (as
      > Mohammad did to women) by
      > referring to them as animals, of
      > various types. Klemp refers to his
      > flock (of sheep) as: eagles, chickens,
      > and foxes while detractors (other
      > Souls) are spoken of as being weeds
      > and bugs. Such is Klemp's (the Mahanta's)
      > all encompassing "love." Klemp can't
      > even follow the example of Jesus
      > (supposedly a 2nd initiate and HK's
      > boyhood friend). Didn't Jesus say,
      > "Love thy enemy" and "If struck, turn
      > the other cheek."
      >
      > And, why do Eckists have an obsession
      > with Animal Angels? Where are the
      > human ones... their dead loved ones?
      > Where are these "stories," or would
      > they compete with Klemp's influence?
      > It seems that this Animal Angel ruse
      > is another distraction so that Eckists
      > won't ask the more important questions.

      Eckankar is a cult. The rules change according to which way the wind blows. It braqs about self realization to the point that we can live as gods among God. We strive to live like God, not become God! Klemp's seminars and Temple in Chanhassen as well as "Sunday worship" are all lame carbon copies to attract those coming off a major western religion such as Christianity. What compells people to join Eckankar is that all they have to do is basically pay for membership and initiation. There is absolutely nothing I've read in the books by the Mahantas that has any value as to how to make yourself a better peopsn for OTHERS! It's all a selfish journey. Actaully, Twith made the most sense to me but Klemp is just a blathering fool and has NO business in the world of teaching about God considering his checkered past and his moronic speeches about his view of the world. He is a narcissist.

      Good stuff Promethus.

      Al

> [...]
      >
      > Yes. I feel my own gift of music is not from myself but through me. This is a manifestation of a higher power. Again, not inside knowledge of how God works through my talent. You just know you're tuned in. you can't see the DJ.
      >

      > I'm sorry to burst your bubble of cynicism, but from my experience, this is what I perceive to be the reality.  Eckankar, especially in its outer, organizational aspect, may have a lot of failings, and it even may be an outright sham, which again fits in with my personal experience.  But that is not to say that all spirituality and mystical experience is also a sham.  Call me a Pollyana, or even a secret Eckmole, but I assure you, I am none of these
      > things.  Yet, neither am I a hardened cynic; personal experience has shown me that God and Spirit are real.
      >
      > I may not know God but I am closer to knowing Eckankar and it doesn't take too much to realize it is a scam. I won't go into the endless proof that it is a plagiarised and well-crafted organization, but I seriously do not believe for a moment that Paul Twitchell and Harji really care(d) as much about your soul as much as the $30 membership fee in your wallet. Cynicism? It is from well-grounded reason and skepticism that I post.
      > One more question. Are you an active Eckist? Why do you sign off with "May the blessings be"? Just curious.
      >
      > Alf
      >

      > May the Blessings Be,
      > David
      >

      > al_radzik wrote:
      >
      > I agree...and I love the Onion! In my short stint with Eckankar back in 1985, one of the many books I read was Tiger's Fang. I initially thought it was quite engaging and believed it was a true account of the other "planes". In hindsight, my Bullshit Meter went off and truly questioned WHY i was falling for this stuff. I wanted it MY way and that's not how God works. I wanted God to behave as I WANTED God to behave. I I I I. It was all a big ego trip. Eckankar tells you that you ARE (or can be) closer to God than any other human on Earth. I recall there being a slogan on an ECK book saying we can "Touch the hem of God". That is, to know God. We cannot know God. We are the created....God is the Creator. Eckankar keeps it's members by stroking their selfishness and sense of entitlement.
      >

      > harrison ferrel wrote:
      >
      > Eckankar is really such a joke that it deserves a featured headline in The Onion.
      >
      > Being out of the cult for many years now, I find the beliefs, claims and writings of eckankar to be so silly that it's hard to imagine anybody takes any of it serious. Those of us who questioned this stuff while in the cult then eventually left because we never got satisfying answers, will be the first to admit that it all sounds like a the ravings of a committee of lunatics.
      >
      > To have a relative still in the cult never makes me stop scratching my head in wonder.

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic