7512Re: Does anybody remember the time that Darwin banned Levis at seminars?

  • prometheus_973
    Nov 30, 2009
      Hello Ingrid and All,
      Once, I was still wearing some
      cargo shorts after dark early
      one evening and my friends
      tried to get us into a German
      club that was having dinner
      and dancing and I was not
      permitted in because the
      management said "Lederhosen"
      was not permitted. I thought
      it was strange, but as I said
      there are many old traditional/
      conservative beliefs concerning
      "proper" dress. No one wants
      to go against the flow or to
      change the way things are done.
      Instead, people want others
      to conform to their old beliefs.

      This same conformity of thought
      and tradition goes well with religious
      beliefs, and, thus, the purpose
      of the ECK Worship Service (EWS),
      and the other EK traditions i.e.
      "Spiritual Years" (themes) that
      Klemp has established during
      his rule.

      As for blue jeans... I wonder
      what the Klempster would think
      of my Ed Hardy jeans?

      Never mind. I already know!

      Prometheus

      ctecvie wrote:

      Hi Prometheus and all,

      thanks for all the informative posts about dress codes and such! Well, a blue
      jeans can look very elegant to, if worn with a nice jacket I think - and of
      course if there are no holes in it! :-)

      Just to correct one little thing about the Lederhosen: Lederhosen means leather
      trousers (pants) and is a national folklore clothing in the Southern parts of
      Germany (not at all in the north! LOL!) and all over Austria. However, it's not
      at all the same than shorts - there are short and long Lederhosen. You can wear
      shorts in the hot season of course, but as you said correctly Prometheus, one
      would not wear shorts during an event, especially if one has to give or conduct
      talks!

      Ingrid

      prometheus wrote:

> [...]
      > conservative and people tend to follow
      > the crowd, and conform. For some reason
      > they don't want to stand out as being
      > individualistic. Then, again, it does seem
      > that they are more regulated and responsible
      > than we are and that might be a good
      > thing for some things.
      >
      > In regard to Darwin's music I didn't get
      > into jazz either. However, I think that
      > Darwin's opinion/prediction about the
      > Big Band music catching on was true.
      > Look at the youth (since 1981) who have/
      > had gotten involved with Swing dancing.
      > Jim Carey was in the movie Mask and it
      > had Big Band music and there was the
      > movie Swingers. Many other things
      > indicated a revival of this music. I
      > walked into a bar/restaurant about
      > ten or so years ago where young college
      > age people were doing Swing dancing
      > to Big Band music and it was really
      > fun to watch. I can't remember if Big
      > Band music was ever played at the
      > "social" dance at one of HK's major
      > EK seminars... maybe it has been!
      >
      > BTW- Did they ever have a Native-
      > American "drumming" session at
      > a major ECK seminar? A group of
      > us (once) got an empty room and
      > were supposed to have had one
      > because I was going to bring over
      > one of my Celtic drums. But, I seem
      > to remember that it got cancelled
      > because a higher-up at the ESC
      > got wind of it and thought it was
      > inappropriate.
      >

      > Prometheus
      >

      > jonathanjohns wrote:
      >
      > Prometheus,
      >
      > Thanks for the reply. You have a lot better memory for these things than I do.
      >
      > I appreciated your comments about Darwin's attire. Since I joined around 1979,
      > and Darwin was gone about four years later, I don't remember a whole lot about
      > him. I found your comment that Darwin dressed in a tux when playing music
      > onstage to be very interesting. It proves to me that Darwin did put effort
      into
      > dressing appropriately for the occasion. I have never paid much attention to
      how
      > people dress.
      >
      > That letter that Darwin sent out must have really bothered me at the time. The
      > hypocrisy/contradiction with what Darwin had said earlier. But it is just one
      of
      > many examples. I absolutely remember the letter because I had been listening
      > a guy on the radio named Bruce Williams who gives economic/business advice to
      > people. He had recently explained how a lot of people in everyday conversation
      > use a trademarked brand name such as "Kleenex" for an everyday item (facial
      > tissue), and usually don't even realize what they are doing. Another example
      he
      > gave was "Laundromat" which is a trademarked term of the Laundromat Corp., but
      > people use it as an everyday term for a coin laundry. So when Darwin said
      > "Levis" in the letter it really caught my attention, simply for this reason.
      So
      > I definitely didn't imagine the letter because I was saying to myself "Darwin
      is
      > doing the same thing that Bruce Williams warned about, using a trademarked
      name
      > (Levis) for an everyday item (blue jeans)." So the letter was real. Also, I
      > doubt that anyone at the seminars actually enforced Darwin's decree.
      >
      > I never had a problem with Darwin's music although I have very little interest
      > in Jazz. I thought it was OK. It even sounded spiritual to me. But Darwin
      never
      > managed to get me to appreciate Jazz! lol
      >
      > It seems almost funny in retrospect how we let these people (LEMs) run our
      > lives. When Darwin was the LEM, I understand that they always had big band
      music
      > and dancing at Eckankar's big events. In deference to Darwin of course. And I
      > even remember Darwin once commenting that Big Band music was going to make a
      big
      > comeback. In retrospect, that prediction seems like one of Darwin's personal
      > fantasies rather than something that was actually going to come true. But at
      the
      > time I'm sure that all of we loyal Eckists probably took him seriously, even
      > believing him outright.
      >
      > One last comment. About two years ago I was parked near a church on Sunday
      > morning. I saw some people walking down the street. It seemed that they must
      be
      > going to church, but they were dressed so casually! I couldn't believe it! By
      > the way, I did verify that they were indeed going to the Catholic Church just
      > down the street. This shocked me because I hadn't been to a Christian church )
      > was Protestant) since about 1976 (2007-1976=31 years). So in 31 years the
      attire
      > for people going to church completely changed from what I HAD to wear (a dress
      > suit and tie, plus polished leather shoes) to casual, although I would still
      be
      > surprised to see someone wearing blue jeans.
      >
      > For those of you who are outsiders to Eckankar, I would say that both the
      > seminars and the meetings at Eck centers it definitely trends toward casual.
      It
      > does vary from Eck center to Eck center though. In my last ten years in
      Eckankar
> [...]
      > > I had listened to an audio tape where
      > > he emphatically stated "There are no
      > > rules and regulations in Eckankar." So
      > > I'm reading this letter and thinking to
      > > myself "Wait a minute! What did you
      > > just say in your tape!?"
      > >
      > > I realize that this isn't the most important
      > > topic about Eckankar, but I would like to
      > > expand on it a bit. The really humerous
      > > thing is that Darwin didn't exactly dress
      > > up when he gave talks although I didn't
      > > even think about that when I read that letter
      > > (circa 1980) because I thought the LEM
      > > could do no wrong. I believe that for talks,
      > > Darwin wore a buttoned shirt, perhaps
      > > a dress shirt, but the top button was
      > > unbuttoned, and with no tie. There is
      > > a photo in Darwin's book "Your Right
      > > To Know" where he is apparently signing
      > > autographs for chelas and he is dressed
      > > like this. I would assume that this took
      > > place at a major seminar.
      > >
      > > But as I was driving my car this morning,
      > > something occurred to me. Klemp always
      > > wears a suit and tie when he gives his talks.
      > >
      > > I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.
      > >
      > > Did Eckankar really transition from "Darwing
      > > the casual dresser" to "Klemp the suit and
      > > tie man?" If it did, I think that it reflects
      > > Klemps' obsession with making Eckankar
      > > "presentable" to the public. I don't think that
      > > it necessarily has to do with Klemp trying to
      > > make Eckankar look like Christianity. But if
      > > you hang out around the members of
      > > Eckankar it seems that a lot of them are
      > > obsessed with how the public percieves
      > > Eckankar.
      > >
      > > AS a sidelight, I have one memory about
      > > Paul to share. There was a talk that
      > > Paul gave to an American audience where
      > > he was telling them about his expereince
      > > in giving talks in Europe. He said that
      > > he would start out the talk all dressed
      > > up, but as the talk went on he would take
      > > his shoes off, sit cross-legged on the
      > > floor, etc. I believe he also said that he
      > > loosened his tie up, which meant that
      > > he actually was wearing one. Put it was
      > > funny when Paul commented on the
      > > reaction of the Europen audiences:
      > >
      > > "I noticed all these eyebrows going up and
      > > down." Paul meant it as a humerous story,
      > > and also as a story pointing out the difference
      > > between Americans being more casual
      > > than Europeans. So although Paul apparently
      > > wore a suit and tie for talks, as the talk
      > > progressed, his desire for personal comfort
      > > apparently won out over his desire to present
      > > the "proper" image. Paul was a nonconformist
      > > anyway so I think that he really didn't care
      > > very much waht people thought.
      > >
      > > But getting back to Darwin. It seemed
      > > that he sent out a lot of letters directly
      > > to the chela. I have to give credit to Klemp,
      > > he didn't seem to do that. Or maybe after
      > > that Darwin letter, I had just reached the
      > > point where I pretty much ignored all of them.
      > >
      > > Two questions:
      > > 1. Does anybody but me remember that
      > > letter that Darwin sent out?
      > >
      > > 2. Did Darwin really dress casually when
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic