7505Re: Does anybody remember the time that Darwin banned Levis at seminars?

  • prometheus_973
    Nov 28, 2009
      Hello Jonathan and All,
      The more I think about it I do remember
      a remark about a dress code and no Levis.
      Today, the blue jeans thing mostly affects
      male volunteers at major seminars (when
      seminar leaders assign duties), or locally
      when doing an intro, or the EWS as the
      conducting cleric. Jeans are still okay for
      many EK events, unless, you're conducting
      the event.

      Also, I used to dress in suit and tie when
      I worked at the major EK seminars. One
      needed a jacket to "hide" all of the
      electronic surveillance/communications
      equipment (walkie-talkies, etc.) and battery
      packs. BTW, Germans and Europeans, in
      general, still have more dress codes than
      Americans. Black and white are traditional
      colors in Germany and Lederhosen (shorts)
      are not worn much (except during festivals)
      even during hot weather. Dress is very
      conservative and people tend to follow
      the crowd, and conform. For some reason
      they don't want to stand out as being
      individualistic. Then, again, it does seem
      that they are more regulated and responsible
      than we are and that might be a good
      thing for some things.

      In regard to Darwin's music I didn't get
      into jazz either. However, I think that
      Darwin's opinion/prediction about the
      Big Band music catching on was true.
      Look at the youth (since 1981) who have/
      had gotten involved with Swing dancing.
      Jim Carey was in the movie Mask and it
      had Big Band music and there was the
      movie Swingers. Many other things
      indicated a revival of this music. I
      walked into a bar/restaurant about
      ten or so years ago where young college
      age people were doing Swing dancing
      to Big Band music and it was really
      fun to watch. I can't remember if Big
      Band music was ever played at the
      "social" dance at one of HK's major
      EK seminars... maybe it has been!

      BTW- Did they ever have a Native-
      American "drumming" session at
      a major ECK seminar? A group of
      us (once) got an empty room and
      were supposed to have had one
      because I was going to bring over
      one of my Celtic drums. But, I seem
      to remember that it got cancelled
      because a higher-up at the ESC
      got wind of it and thought it was
      inappropriate.

      Prometheus

      jonathanjohns wrote:

      Prometheus,

      Thanks for the reply. You have a lot better memory for these things than I do.

      I appreciated your comments about Darwin's attire. Since I joined around 1979,
      and Darwin was gone about four years later, I don't remember a whole lot about
      him. I found your comment that Darwin dressed in a tux when playing music
      onstage to be very interesting. It proves to me that Darwin did put effort into
      dressing appropriately for the occasion. I have never paid much attention to how
      people dress.

      That letter that Darwin sent out must have really bothered me at the time. The
      hypocrisy/contradiction with what Darwin had said earlier. But it is just one of
      many examples. I absolutely remember the letter because I had been listening to
      a guy on the radio named Bruce Williams who gives economic/business advice to
      people. He had recently explained how a lot of people in everyday conversation
      use a trademarked brand name such as "Kleenex" for an everyday item (facial
      tissue), and usually don't even realize what they are doing. Another example he
      gave was "Laundromat" which is a trademarked term of the Laundromat Corp., but
      people use it as an everyday term for a coin laundry. So when Darwin said
      "Levis" in the letter it really caught my attention, simply for this reason. So
      I definitely didn't imagine the letter because I was saying to myself "Darwin is
      doing the same thing that Bruce Williams warned about, using a trademarked name
      (Levis) for an everyday item (blue jeans)." So the letter was real. Also, I
      doubt that anyone at the seminars actually enforced Darwin's decree.

      I never had a problem with Darwin's music although I have very little interest
      in Jazz. I thought it was OK. It even sounded spiritual to me. But Darwin never
      managed to get me to appreciate Jazz! lol

      It seems almost funny in retrospect how we let these people (LEMs) run our
      lives. When Darwin was the LEM, I understand that they always had big band music
      and dancing at Eckankar's big events. In deference to Darwin of course. And I
      even remember Darwin once commenting that Big Band music was going to make a big
      comeback. In retrospect, that prediction seems like one of Darwin's personal
      fantasies rather than something that was actually going to come true. But at the
      time I'm sure that all of we loyal Eckists probably took him seriously, even
      believing him outright.

      One last comment. About two years ago I was parked near a church on Sunday
      morning. I saw some people walking down the street. It seemed that they must be
      going to church, but they were dressed so casually! I couldn't believe it! By
      the way, I did verify that they were indeed going to the Catholic Church just
      down the street. This shocked me because I hadn't been to a Christian church ) I
      was Protestant) since about 1976 (2007-1976=31 years). So in 31 years the attire
      for people going to church completely changed from what I HAD to wear (a dress
      suit and tie, plus polished leather shoes) to casual, although I would still be
      surprised to see someone wearing blue jeans.

      For those of you who are outsiders to Eckankar, I would say that both the
      seminars and the meetings at Eck centers it definitely trends toward casual. It
      does vary from Eck center to Eck center though. In my last ten years in Eckankar
      1999-2008, I attended worship services at two different Eck centers. At one,
      things were 100% casual. At the other one, it was mostly casual, but a few
      people did come "dressed from church." I especially remember an African family
      that always dressed up. But I can remember some of the top honchos at the center
      dressing completely casually so it wasn't as if they were attempting to set an
      example for everyone to "dress up."

      I really feel that there has been an overwhelming trend in the last 30 years
      toward more casual. But there are other countries that still insist on dressing
      up. A caller to a talk show in the 1970s or 1980s, a man from Germany, said that
      he liked something in the United States better than Germany. He said that people
      in Germany wear a suit and tie when they go out to the movies. I don't remember
      that happening in the United States, even in the 1960s.

      prometheus wrote:

      > Hello All,
      > No, I don't remember that letter about
      > Not wearing Levis. I know that Darwin
      > wore them at the Broken Bow campouts
      > and other places like Sedona. He'd usually
      > wear darker blue jeans with a light blue
      > or white shirt. Usually he dressed (resort)
      > casual with an open collar blue dress shirt
      > and khaki slacks when walking to and from
      > seminar meetings, and this is how he
      > often dressed at the ESC at Menlo Park.
      > Of course he'd have a sport coat or jacket
      > with him for outside or for a more formal
      > look. DG was a dapper dude and dressed
      > for the ladies (LLDG). Thus, the tux when
      > he'd perform on stage with Rodney Jones
      > and the gang.
      >
      > Maybe you could go on Facebook
      > and ask to be a friend of Rodney's and
      > then ask him some things about Darwin.
      > Who knows... he might be willing to share
      > some history. Then again, he might be
      > afraid to share things if it got back to
      > HK that he was talking about Darwin.
      >
      > It is funny to see those Passing of the
      > Rod pictures of PT, DG, and HK all wearing
      > light blue dress shirts with collars open!
      >
      > Yes, I remember that I was told that there
      > were No Rules in Eckankar. Of course, there
      > were plenty of "LAWS," as well as, the Four Zoas!
      > By definition these "Zoas" don't apply to anyone
      > except a new Madis (5th), although, ALL are
      > expected to follow these rules. Then, Klemp
      > added his "Guidelines" and the RESA Police
      > to enforce the Rules, Zoas, and Guidelines.
      > Eventually HK had to write two leadership
      > books ("high" and "low") to explain all of
      > the restrictions on thought and behaviour.
      >
      > Actually, there are even more "unspoken"
      > rules and restrictions in Eckankar than
      > most H.I.s would be willing to admit. It's
      > only natural that there should be open
      > discussions on policy etc. without repercussions.
      > Only a religious leader can proclaim that
      > Soul=Soul in one breath and take it back
      > in the next. But, not all religions have a
      > God-like leader with the ultimate power
      > and authority (Klemp) to excommunicate
      > and demote members without a trial or
      > an open discussion or giving just cause
      > via a two-way answering of questions.
      >

      > Prometheus
      >

      > jonathanjohns wrote:
      >
      > Months ago I made a lot of posts on this
      > message board and on the "other" board.
      > Today, I thought I would dig up some trivia
      > or nostalgia. It's really
      > not a serious topic.
      >
      > I joined Eckankar around 1979 when
      > Darwin was still the LEM. One day,
      > out of nowhere, probably around 1980,
      > I got one of those blue letters in the
      > blue envelope directly from Darwin/
      > Eckankar. It was sent out to all of the
      > chelas, and I believe it was before Harold
      > Klemp became the LEM. But what was
      > written in this letter rather surprised
      > me. Darwin stated that chelas should
      > not wear "Levis" to the Eck seminars.
> [...]