7140Re: No beer at mealtime for higher initiatesin Germany?

  • ctecvie
    Mar 14 1:24 AM
      Jonathan,

      I'm from Austria where wine and beer are not considered alcohol either. But ekkies I knew in Austria and Germany do refrain from any alcohol, they don't drink at all. Perhaps one alcohol-free beer from time to time, but that's it. If you are convinced of something, it's not difficult to follow the rules! I wasn't a high initiate, only a lowly 3rd and of course did drink wine - once, at an arahata training, I was the only one drinking wine! I felt a bit strange in that environment ... and I guess it prevented me from having my 4th before I left! No harm done! LOL!

      Ingrid

      --- In eckankartruth@yahoogroups.com, jonathanjohns96 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > All,
      >
      > I know this is perhaps a somewhat frivolous question, but for those of
      > you who aren't aware of it, when you recieve the 5th initiation you
      > have to agree to abstain from recreational drugs, alcohol, and tobacco.
      > I believe that up to the fourth, it only mentions abstaining from
      > recreational drugs.
      >
      > So what about Germany? Over there, drinking beer with meals is a part
      > of their culture. In that setting, alchohol is considered to be a food.
      > I think that Eckankar is going to have a hard time convincing the
      > average German to part with his or her beer at mealtime. Likewise for
      > wine at mealtime for French and Italians.
      >
      > Any comments from anyone? And are there any other countries in Europe
      > where alchohol is consumed as a food at mealtimes? This is actually one
      > of my pet peeves when comparing European and American culture. I think
      > Americans are totally goofy on this point.
      >
      > Jonathan

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic