6938Re: [eckankartruth] Re: Whoa

  • Leanne Thompson
    Jan 4, 2008
      I found out that linda is the CA resa and don ginn stpped aside. BTW, where is Gail twitchell and did she bail out as well?

      Leanne

      colleen <colleenmft@...> wrote:
      Hi Tygerpurr...

      As you have experienced, cults can cause great harm to
      relationships and families when members and leaders
      view themselves as the "chosen ones", more
      enlightened, superior, or "spiritually aware", etc.
      than those outside the group.

      The man who recruited me when I was 19 was the man I
      later married. When I filed for a divorce, I also
      made the decision to become "inactive" in Eckankar so
      that I could determine how I could live on my own,
      without my first husband and away from the day to day
      activities that had become my life for 7 years. Years
      later I stopped paying membership. I didn't have any
      other family members who were involved and this
      certainly made it easier for me in some ways. As I
      began to become psychologically free from my
      dependence to the "master" and the deception in
      Eckankar, I was able to relate more genuinely and
      maturely to my family of origin and extended family
      members. When I perceived myself and others as more
      fully human, with all our complexities and
      imperfections, I was able to become more closely
      connected.

      It is a loss when one isn't able to have the loving,
      supportive, and accepting relationship with one's
      family that one desires.

      I've known people who have distanced themselves from
      family members still involved in the cult. They try
      in various ways to connect, be seen as who they are,
      and respected, but this may fail to a great degree.
      So, they may spend less time with family members and
      accept that communication will be superficial and
      hopefully courteous. Cultivating a close, intimate
      (not necessary sexual) relationship with someone else
      can be a fulfilling alternative. Perhaps some day the
      family members will leave Eckankar as you did and you
      can have more in common.

      Best,

      Colleen

      > Colleen, do you have any suggestions on how to deal
      > with long time
      > eckists in your family who lie to you or won't talk
      > to you in an
      > honest way? Maybe this is typical of the cult
      > mentality and lack of
      > authentic emotion. I saw something funny on that
      > sitcom The Office
      > where one of the office staff was admiting to being
      > both a cult leader
      > and a cult member at various times. Anyway, I would
      > be interested in
      > your opinion on how to deal with long time eck
      > members. Sometimes they
      > are also prone to jump from one cult to another.
      >
      > Tygerpurr ; )
      >
      > --- In eckankartruth@ yahoogroups. com, tygerpurr
      > <no_reply@.. .> wrote:
      > >
      > >Re: Whoa!!!
      >
      > Hi Colleen,
      >
      > I feel the same way about an eck "friend" that I
      > still come in contact
      > with once in a while. Yes I feel sad and even a
      > little freaked that
      > this person carries around a picture of Harold
      > Klemp. Now they
      > consider eckankar to be a religion and even talk
      > about going to
      > "church", even though Twitchell went out of his way
      > to say that
      > eckankar wasn't a religion, blah, blah.
      >
      > I keep hoping that this person will wake up and at
      > least join a group
      > that isn't so Authoritarian and Hierarchical, but
      > after 35 or so
      > years, is there still hope? I guess it has something
      > to do with
      > believing that they are some how Special and that
      > all other religions
      > are inferior. THis person is very anxiety prone and
      > fears being alone
      > a great deal. It can be difficult to make the leap
      > away from this
      > "deceptive ideology". Maybe it is like a really bad
      > and abusive
      > relationship, where the person involved still wants
      > to believe that
      > the abuser is good and they blame themselves if
      > anything goes wrong.
      >
      > It is really tragic. Usually, when I am with this
      > person I don't
      > discuss eckanakr directly, but talk in more general
      > terms about the
      > problems of blind faith in an Authoritarian religion
      > and the problems
      > with absolutist dogma. Still, it seems to fall on
      > deaf ears. THey only
      > see and hear what they want to.
      >
      > I was a member of eckankar for a shorter period of
      > time than you, but
      > it continued to affect me through family members,
      > etc. I never was
      > really in a position of authority in eckankar. I
      > always asked too many
      > questions. This is a good place to start for any
      > eckist wanting to
      > separate from eckankar, imho. They will start
      > pushing you out the
> [...]
      === message truncated ===

      This electronic mail transmission may contain privileged,
      confidential and/or proprietary information intended only for the person(s) named. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure to another person is strictly prohibited. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.

      Be a better friend, newshound, and