Re: RDCS verses RCS

  • sparklexxxxx
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 29 2:35 PM
      George, you stated :(It's another registery that does not require the
      year of work before earning some letters after your name!!!)

      What exactly do you mean about * the * year of work before earning
      some letters after your name? Do you mean you don't need to study for
      a year ,before taking the CCI as you would in taking the ARDMS , or
      that the prereqs' to sit for the exam are different ,please explain.

      Also where did you hear that ARDMS was buying out CCI ..please direct
      me to where I can learn more on that topic.

      Also I have read at another message board that CCI was around a few
      years before ARDMS, can anyone verify this ?

      Also I see ARDMS states they are a NON-PROFIT organization ....is CCI
      a NON-PROFIT organization as well?

      One last thing ,I recently sat for the CCI Echo exam and saw a
      question that has stumped many ...anyone can answer if they know for
      sure ,heres the question....

      Patient presents with a VSD and has a 5cm jet ..is this more
      consistant with ...

      1. Restrictive VSD
      2. Non restrictive VSD
      3. Restrictive VSD with pulmonary HTN
      4. Non restrictive VSD with pulmonary HTN

      Ofcourse I'll never know if I answered correctly , however I did pass
      and was glad of it !

      As for the CCI Echo test being easier then the ARDMS Echo test ,I
      wish I could compare the ECHO portion ,but have not taken the ARDMS
      echo portion . I did however take the ARDMS physics portion.

      The ARDMS physics was very misleading to me and I did not pass it ,I
      am not great at physics ,which is why after not succeeding in the
      phyics portion of ARDMS,I opted to take the CCI Echo where the physics
      is intergrated into the exam... (meaning there are LESS physics
      questions.)

      The difference was the CCI phyics as well as the ECHO questions

      *( keep in mind ,I have not sat for the ARDMS echo portion and don't
      know if the questions were as wordy as the ARDMS physics)*

      were very straight forward .They asked you specific questions,to the
      point and the choices were very specific and to the point as well ,it
      was easy to understand ,there did not seem to be any twists in their
      question format that could mislead you.

      The questions were not a paragraph long ,

      ( unless it was related to symptoms a patient presented with,however
      THAT is easy to follow )

      nor were the choices a paragraph long iether ,as I found in the
      ARDMS physics .

      YES you must KNOW the material for the CCI phyics and ECHO ,however
      you did not need to stress yourself out reading the questions over and
      over ,checking for KEY words that may have presented that will totally
      throw you off .

      I realise it has been stated numerous times ( There are NO trick
      questions on the ARDMS exam) However, Personally ...for me...The
      format of the ARDMS physics questions ..the length of them ..the
      length of the answers to choose from were so wordy and twisted ( again
      personal opinion), I built up a state of anxiety that my brain could
      not operate properly !

      By the time you were half way through a question ,I would forget the
      beginning of the paragraph ,have to go back and re-read and then when
      I thought I knew what they were asking ------ and went to pick from my
      5 choices that were each a paragraph long ------- I would then forget
      halfway through the choice and have to re-read each answer.... It was
      the most stressful day of my entire life .

      When studying for the ARDMS physics I used edelmans books ,flash
      cards, DVD's ..I spent alot of money ..I could answer EVERY question
      throughout the book and the final in the back of the book, yet I did
      not do well enough on the exam for a passing score .The format of the
      questions in the book as opposed to the actual test were like night
      and day.

      I assume by now there is no confusion on my thoughts concerning test
      format .

      If you want to know what I know ask me straight out and I'll tell
      you..this is what CCI does and I love them for this.

      You know I always thought once I'd passed a registry ,I would somehow
      be different , however it appears the only difference is I don't have
      to WORRY about the ECHO REGISTRY anymore . "GO FIGURE"

      This has been a wordy post here ,so please don't forget the question
      above on the NON-Profit statis of the ARDMS. I'm curious as to where
      they donate all the proceeds to

      **( What doesn't go to the office staff for clerical duties, because
      the officers and directors are not allowed any monitary gain from
      revenue generated , according to the ARDMS BY-LAWS )** Which are very
      similar to ANY OTHER non- profit organization .

      when 21,138 tests were taken in 2005 which brought in a revenue of 4.2
      million dollars ..roughly OVERALL 58/60% passed the exams, again thats
      overall ...then figuring 45% roughly will retake these exams and add
      new registraints in that figure ,roughly over 4 million dollars will
      be brought in each year for the registrys "exams alone" ....so for a
      non-profit organization ,those numbers are pretty immpresiive and I'd
      be curious as to how and where those funds are distributed yearly ,if
      anyone knows where I can find this info to satisfy my curiosity ,I'd
      appreciate it!

      To all who have passed the ARDMS physics I want to say congrats ,but
      I'll never try it again .I am satisfied with being RCS and I will save
      whats left of my brain cells for the RVS through CCI .

      The message content posted here are opinions of the author ,they are
      not facts .

      --- In echocardiography@yahoogroups.com, "George K. Piazza"
      <piazzag@...> wrote:

      > Go to the web site for Cardiovascular Credentialing International
      (Google it...) and read for yourself. Some say that RDCS will purchase
      CCI??? It's another registery that does not require the year of work
      before earning some letters after your name!!! I have been told that
      CCI is easier but like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder! Tests
      are somewhat different according to sources. I plan to get the RDCS
      certification later.

      > Looking for full-time work. Any leads you care to share???
      >
      > George K. Piazza, RCS
      >
      > TOLANDA ABLE <bootra1@...> wrote:
      > It is another registry outside of RDCS. Some states recognizes it
      either with or without RDCS. I will be planning to take that one next
      year sometime once I become registered with RDCS. Does anyone have
      any pointers on passing the cardiovascular physics and instrumentation?

      > seasideponee@... wrote: This may sound dumb, but what is the
      RCS exam? I have been RDCS for years and know of the CCI exam , but
      never heard of RCS. Would someone please explain this?

      Thank you,

      Joni

      > ---------------------------------

    • cheryl deBlecourt
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 29 10:09 PM
        Rick,
        I definitely agree with you about our title. I resent
        being called a "technician" by staff and even
        patients. I have completed a Bachelor of Science
        degree in health and an Associate of Science Degree in
        Cardiovascular Science at a well respected college.
        Sonographers should ban together and work toward
        having every state require ICAEL accreditation and/or
        appropriately credentialed Sonographers instead of
        disputing over which Credentialing organization is
        superior or carries more worth. Both tests require
        sonographers to know their material. I chose to take
        the RCS test because it reflected that my competancy
        was not only in Cardiac Ultrasound but encompassed
        such areas as stress testing and holter monitoring. I
        had numerous Physics, A and P, Physiology, Chemistry,
        and Pharmacology classes as part of my education,
        something many of RDCS people may not have so how can
        someone compare my knowledge with theirs. We need to
        group together and concentrate on reimbursements from
        Medicare and ensure that they remain at the level that
        they are so we may continue to enjoy an above average
        salary. Nuclear Stress Testing, Vascular and MRI's
        will see deep cuts in reimbursement in the coming
        year, thankfully echo may come out unscathed this
        time. If the reimbursements drop, so will our
        salaries. Offices without credentialed songoraphers
        who pump out "picture" studies are responsible for
        this. I have had to repeat many a study performed by
        and uneducated picture taker. We are in a profession
        that requires not only an understanding of physiology
        and pathology, the ability to fully understand a study
        and its implication for the patient. We need to take
        pride in our profession and believe in what we do. So
        RDCS or RCS, we are all going to fight the same battle
        in the future.
        Cdecho

        === message truncated ===

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • a b
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 9, 2006
          Patient presents with a VSD and has a 5cm jet ..is this more
          consistant with ...

          1. Restrictive VSD
          2. Non restrictive VSD
          3. Restrictive VSD with pulmonary HTN
          4. Non restrictive VSD with pulmonary HTN
          The answer is #1

          <piazzag@... > wrote:

          > Go to the web site for Cardiovascular Credentialing International
          (Google it...) and read for yourself. Some say that RDCS will purchase
          CCI??? It's another registery that does not require the year of work
          before earning some letters after your name!!! I have been told that
          CCI is easier but like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder! Tests
          are somewhat different according to sources. I plan to get the RDCS
          certification later.

          > Looking for full-time work. Any leads you care to share???
          >
          > George K. Piazza, RCS
          >
          > TOLANDA ABLE <bootra1@... > wrote:
          > It is another registry outside of RDCS. Some states recognizes it
          either with or without RDCS. I will be planning to take that one next
          year sometime once I become registered with RDCS. Does anyone have
          any pointers on passing the cardiovascular physics and instrumentation?

          > seasideponee@ ... wrote: This may sound dumb, but what is the
          RCS exam? I have been RDCS for years and know of the CCI exam , but
          never heard of RCS. Would someone please explain this?

          Thank you,

          Joni

          > ------------ --------- --------- ---

        • reality check
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 9, 2006
            Is this because a small VSD , would have a narrow opening ,therefore the communication between the ventricles would have a greater force/velocity and create a fast jet ? ..generally the terms restricted VSD correlate to small VSD...and non restrictive coorelate with large VSD...I can't find a definitive answer ,but thanks and if you explain your theory it is appreciated.

            <piazzag@... > wrote:

            > Go to the web site for Cardiovascular Credentialing International
            (Google it...) and read for yourself. Some say that RDCS will purchase
            CCI??? It's another registery that does not require the year of work
            before earning some letters after your name!!! I have been told that
            CCI is easier but like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder! Tests
            are somewhat different according to sources. I plan to get the RDCS
            certification later.

            > Looking for full-time work. Any leads you care to share???
            >
            > George K. Piazza, RCS
            >
            > TOLANDA ABLE <bootra1@... > wrote:
            > It is another registry outside of RDCS. Some states recognizes it
            either with or without RDCS. I will be planning to take that one next
            year sometime once I become registered with RDCS. Does anyone have
            any pointers on passing the cardiovascular physics and instrumentation?

            > seasideponee@ ... wrote: This may sound dumb, but what is the
            RCS exam? I have been RDCS for years and know of the CCI exam , but
            never heard of RCS. Would someone please explain this?

            Thank you,

            Joni

            > ------------ --------- --------- ---

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • a b
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 10, 2006
              Yes (to what you said), a restrictive VSD is small in size.  If everything else in the heart is normal, yes, you'd have the forceful LV pressure pushing a high velocity flow through it.

              You can have a non-restrictive VSD so large that you essentially have no ventricular septum.

              It's the simple way you're thinking of it, you're right.  Restrictive = limiting, non-restrictive = not limiting.

              <piazzag@... > wrote:

              > Go to the web site for Cardiovascular Credentialing International
              (Google it...) and read for yourself. Some say that RDCS will purchase
              CCI??? It's another registery that does not require the year of work
              before earning some letters after your name!!! I have been told that
              CCI is easier but like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder! Tests
              are somewhat different according to sources. I plan to get the RDCS
              certification later.

              > Looking for full-time work. Any leads you care to share???
              >
              > George K. Piazza, RCS
              >
              > TOLANDA ABLE <bootra1@... > wrote:
              > It is another registry outside of RDCS. Some states recognizes it
              either with or without RDCS. I will be planning to take that one next
              year sometime once I become registered with RDCS. Does anyone have
              any pointers on passing the cardiovascular physics and instrumentation?

              > seasideponee@ ... wrote: This may sound dumb, but what is the
              RCS exam? I have been RDCS for years and know of the CCI exam , but
              never heard of RCS. Would someone please explain this?

              Thank you,

              Joni

              > ------------ --------- --------- ---

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • a b
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 10, 2006
                One other thing, sparkle, with a restrictive VSD you probably won't have detrimental things happen down the road.  Not enough flow should get through to cause volume overload or a pressure increase in the RV.  You still have to be aware of the possibility of paradoxical embolization events (high RV pressure causing emboli to cross to LV), but that's rare.  Non-restrictive VSDs, however, can make a big difference to hemodynamics.

                As for the terms, tho, think size.  You're on the right track.

                <piazzag@... > wrote:

                > Go to the web site for Cardiovascular Credentialing International
                (Google it...) and read for yourself. Some say that RDCS will purchase
                CCI??? It's another registery that does not require the year of work
                before earning some letters after your name!!! I have been told that
                CCI is easier but like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder! Tests
                are somewhat different according to sources. I plan to get the RDCS
                certification later.

                > Looking for full-time work. Any leads you care to share???
                >
                > George K. Piazza, RCS
                >
                > TOLANDA ABLE <bootra1@... > wrote:
                > It is another registry outside of RDCS. Some states recognizes it
                either with or without RDCS. I will be planning to take that one next
                year sometime once I become registered with RDCS. Does anyone have
                any pointers on passing the cardiovascular physics and instrumentation?

                > seasideponee@ ... wrote: This may sound dumb, but what is the
                RCS exam? I have been RDCS for years and know of the CCI exam , but
                never heard of RCS. Would someone please explain this?

                Thank you,

                Joni

                > ------------ --------- --------- ---

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • reality check
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 10, 2006
                     Thanks so much for your tutoring ! It all makes perfect sense . Care to tackle the rest of that post? J/K  ....However i'd love to learn more on the proposed (According to the poster Geroge)  buy out of CCI , by ARDMS ....he said ,or seems to have stated you can read it on the CCI site ,but I may have misenterpreted his statements.

                  <piazzag@... > wrote:

                  > Go to the web site for Cardiovascular Credentialing International
                  (Google it...) and read for yourself. Some say that RDCS will purchase
                  CCI??? It's another registery that does not require the year of work
                  before earning some letters after your name!!! I have been told that
                  CCI is easier but like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder! Tests
                  are somewhat different according to sources. I plan to get the RDCS
                  certification later.

                  > Looking for full-time work. Any leads you care to share???
                  >
                  > George K. Piazza, RCS
                  >
                  > TOLANDA ABLE <bootra1@... > wrote:
                  > It is another registry outside of RDCS. Some states recognizes it
                  either with or without RDCS. I will be planning to take that one next
                  year sometime once I become registered with RDCS. Does anyone have
                  any pointers on passing the cardiovascular physics and instrumentation?

                  > seasideponee@ ... wrote: This may sound dumb, but what is the
                  RCS exam? I have been RDCS for years and know of the CCI exam , but
                  never heard of RCS. Would someone please explain this?

                  Thank you,

                  Joni

                  > ------------ --------- --------- ---

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • Terry J Zwakenberg
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 10, 2006

                    Normal LV pressure is approx 130 mmHg

                    Normal RV pressure is approx 30 mmHg

                    Pressure gradient 100 mmHg

                    Velocity consistent with 100 mmHg gradient = 5 M/s

                    Restrictive VSD = a small enough orifice to prevent the transmission of pressure and volume sufficient to have impact on the right ventricle and pulmonary circulation.

                    To sum……small hole + large pressure gradient = high velocity

                    Terry J Zwakenberg BS RVT RDCS

                    Director CardioVascular Services

                    Advanced Health Education Center

                    Is this because a small VSD , would have a narrow opening ,therefore the communication between the ventricles would have a greater force/velocity and create a fast jet ? ..generally the terms restricted VSD correlate to small VSD...and non restrictive coorelate with large VSD...I can't find a definitive answer ,but thanks and if you explain your theory it is appreciated.

                    a b <ginalulubaby@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                    Patient presents with a VSD and has a 5cm jet ..is this more
                    consistant with ...

                    1. Restrictive VSD
                    2. Non restrictive VSD
                    3. Restrictive VSD with pulmonary HTN
                    4. Non restrictive VSD with pulmonary HTN

                    The answer is #1

                    sparklexxxxx <sparklexxxxx@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                    _,___

                  • George K. Piazza
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 11, 2006
                      Thanks for your reply. Don't recall where I heard about the purchase... ARDMS, according to their web page, does require 12 months of documented clinical work. CCI only requires clinical hours. These things change fromt time to time. Go to Google and type in the name of each organization. You will have more information on each than you care to read in the next year!!! Best to study. Also, I have see some of the questions / answers you mentioned. Questions are at least a 3-6 line paragraph full of information that has nothing to do with the real question and same for answers. As a teacher (degree) I see this as a ploy to make the test harder than it is. Goal first is to learn not the material but how to read the question. Like you, currently, I have better things to do and will be happy with my RCS for the time being and maybe forever.

                      George K. Piazza,  RCS

                      <piazzag@... > wrote:

                      > Go to the web site for Cardiovascular Credentialing International
                      (Google it...) and read for yourself. Some say that RDCS will purchase
                      CCI??? It's another registery that does not require the year of work
                      before earning some letters after your name!!! I have been told that
                      CCI is easier but like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder! Tests
                      are somewhat different according to sources. I plan to get the RDCS
                      certification later.

                      > Looking for full-time work. Any leads you care to share???
                      >
                      > George K. Piazza, RCS
                      >
                      > TOLANDA ABLE <bootra1@... > wrote:
                      > It is another registry outside of RDCS. Some states recognizes it
                      either with or without RDCS. I will be planning to take that one next
                      year sometime once I become registered with RDCS. Does anyone have
                      any pointers on passing the cardiovascular physics and instrumentation?

                      > seasideponee@ ... wrote: This may sound dumb, but what is the
                      RCS exam? I have been RDCS for years and know of the CCI exam , but
                      never heard of RCS. Would someone please explain this?

                      Thank you,

                      Joni

                      Do you Yahoo!?