portable echos

  • Stephanie
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2005
      Hi everyone I'm new to the group. I have a question and was looking
      for anyone with some info. I recently was approached by a home health
      business that wants me to do portable echos for them. I would
      basically be sub contracted, getting paid per echo. When I went for
      my interview this week they offered me $50.00 per echo. When I sat
      down and figured everything out after taking out taxes, liability ins
      and health ins Im not sure it is really worth me leaving a secure job
      that I have at a hospital. This business seems to have great
      potential for me and I have to say that not being on call and not
      working holidays is also very persuading. I was also wondering if i
      can ask for a minimum per week so that I know I would have a steady
      income.

      Thanks
      Steph
    • Wayne Moore
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
        Dear Steph, during the negotiating phase you can ask for whatever it is you
        think you can get, and also live with. As a sub-contactor you are obviously
        not an employee, so issues such as health care, 401(k), self-employment
        taxes, etc, that you might currently be getting at the hospital or will need
        to pay additionally (taxes & insurance) need to be factored into whatever
        equation you might be using. Further you will also need to get additional
        general liability and perhaps specific "malpractice" (in parenthesis because
        the name for this insurance and the requirements varies by State) insurance.
        If you are getting $50/echo and you can do 1.25 echoes per hour (home
        healthcare I assume means you are going from place to place to perform the
        echoes, I assume using your car and gas) means you would be getting
        $62.50/hour. After all manner of taxes, health and liability insurance, etc
        are deducted I calculate your gross net (gross net because there will be
        more expenses) would be roughly $33.65/hour or ~ $67k/year. I would ask for
        $75/echo with a minimum of 6.5 echoes per day guaranteed, gas and car
        allowance, and a two-year minimum contract. That should take some of the
        chest pain out of the decision-making process

        G. Wayne Moore
        President and CEO
        Sonora Medical Systems
        1751 S. Fordham St Longmont, Colorado 80503
        (888) 476-6672
        Http:\\www.4sonora.com

        This message and any included attachments are from Sonora Medical Systems
        Inc. and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information contained
        herein may include trade secrets or privileged or otherwise confidential
        information. Unauthorized review, forwarding, printing, copying,
        distributing, or using such information is strictly prohibited and may be
        unlawful. If you received this message in error, or have reason to believe
        you are not authorized to receive it, please promptly delete this message
        and notify the sender by e-mail with a copy to jimc@...

        Thank you

        Hi everyone I'm new to the group. I have a question and was looking
        for anyone with some info. I recently was approached by a home health
        business that wants me to do portable echos for them. I would
        basically be sub contracted, getting paid per echo. When I went for
        my interview this week they offered me $50.00 per echo. When I sat
        down and figured everything out after taking out taxes, liability ins
        and health ins Im not sure it is really worth me leaving a secure job
        that I have at a hospital. This business seems to have great
        potential for me and I have to say that not being on call and not
        working holidays is also very persuading. I was also wondering if i
        can ask for a minimum per week so that I know I would have a steady
        income.

        Thanks
        Steph

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • hairfree@juno.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
          Everything about this scenario depends on the laws in your state.

          For example, in Texas, being a nonemployee depends on who controls your
          time. If the agency controls when and where you are to do the echos, you
          cannot be a subcontractor -- you are an employee. I would suggest you
          check out the legal distinctions between subcontractor and employee in
          your state with your state employment commission. If they tell you that
          you would be either a subcontractor or employee, GET IT IN WRITING ON THE
          STATE LETTERHEAD. If you get grief about this, contact your local state
          representative/senator or whatever title they may have in your state and
          tell them you are having a problem getting a written answer from the
          state agency.

          Second, who owns the equipment and is eligible to bill and be paid by
          insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, etc., for the service provided -- the home
          health agency or someone else.

          Whoever owns the equipment will most likely already have a
          liability/malpractice policy in place. Also, the HHA may have liability
          coverage. It may be cheaper for you to add on to their policy for
          primary coverage. Then, you can add your own personal coverage for a LOT
          less money. It might run something like this: agency/equipment owner
          has $1 Million policy in place, you get added for XXX$$$ and then you get
          your own rider for >$1 Million.

          As a subcontractor or self-employeed, you will have a lot of expenses
          that would offset the income in terms of your tax liability. You should
          calculate your estimated taxes on that basis. For example, if you have
          your only office in your home, that's where your mileage starts and
          stops. If you just happen to drive right by the grocery store on your
          way home (I don't mean a mile out of your way) and get your groceries,
          that does not detract from your mileage deduction.

          Don't be afraid to have a room in your home designated as your office.
          It's not as hard to do as the IRS would have you believe. You just can't
          call your craft/storage room your office just because you want to. It
          has to be an office used by you for your records, fax machine, computer,
          etc., as a business. And, if you have an office somewhere else, such as
          at the HHA, you don't get to have the home office as well without a
          potential for IRS grief. Now if you also have a craft business . . .

          If you have a family and health insurance is important for you, you would
          more than likely be much better off as an employee unless there is
          someone else employed in the family that has medical insurance available
          to sub for what you already have.

          Do an archive search on this site for this topic and you'll find a lot of
          posts about this sort of thing.

          Judith Stephens

          On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:29:10 -0000 "Stephanie" <ekgtech29@...>
          writes:
          > Hi everyone I'm new to the group. I have a question and was looking
          >
          > for anyone with some info. I recently was approached by a home
          > health
          > business that wants me to do portable echos for them. I would
          > basically be sub contracted, getting paid per echo. When I went for
          >
          > my interview this week they offered me $50.00 per echo. When I sat
          >
          > down and figured everything out after taking out taxes, liability
          > ins
          > and health ins Im not sure it is really worth me leaving a secure
          > job
          > that I have at a hospital. This business seems to have great
          > potential for me and I have to say that not being on call and not
          > working holidays is also very persuading. I was also wondering if i
          >
          > can ask for a minimum per week so that I know I would have a steady
          >
          > income.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Steph
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • JENELLE TOMPKINS
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
            Definetly ask for a minimum per week. That sounds good for a per diem job
            only. Count all your
            factors before leaving your job. From one tech to another!

            >From: "Stephanie" <ekgtech29@...>
            >To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [echocardiography] portable echos
            >Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:29:10 -0000
            >
            >Hi everyone I'm new to the group. I have a question and was looking
            >for anyone with some info. I recently was approached by a home health
            >business that wants me to do portable echos for them. I would
            >basically be sub contracted, getting paid per echo. When I went for
            >my interview this week they offered me $50.00 per echo. When I sat
            >down and figured everything out after taking out taxes, liability ins
            >and health ins Im not sure it is really worth me leaving a secure job
            >that I have at a hospital. This business seems to have great
            >potential for me and I have to say that not being on call and not
            >working holidays is also very persuading. I was also wondering if i
            >can ask for a minimum per week so that I know I would have a steady
            >income.
            >
            >Thanks
            >Steph
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • jingyan zhou
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
              I also think that you should ask $75/echo at least. I get $50-60/echo as a per Diem tech for a hospital and plus the hospital pay for inability and works-com. Another hospital I worked last year even guarantee a minimal 4 echo pay eventhough i had only one echo on that day i worked.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/