Re: ARDMS PHYSICS

  • pdigrazi
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 31, 2005
      My Instructor often tells us of many such stories on how students
      always come to him and say..."Geeze...I missed such and such exam by
      ONLY one point".
      He often tells us to make sure you can average 95% on any and all
      practice exams you take at least 3 times before sitting for the
      exams. He also tells us NOT to follow the heard. That is, if your
      co-workers or classmates are sitting for the exams, don't just sit
      for the exam to be part of the group. Make sure you know the
      material and feel comfortable with all the information.

      Keep a positive mind set....Be determined...And know the material
      you studied. If everyone is doing it, so can you.

      --- In echocardiography@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda King"
      <bkbroiler40@h...> wrote:

      > RICHARD,
      > FIRST OF ALL, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
      > SECOND OF ALL, HOW LONG AGO WAS THIS ACCOMPLISHMENT.
      ITS
      > INTERESTING TO HEAR THAT EDELMAN'S HELPED. WHERE DID YOU GET SUCH
      THINGS?
      > AND WAS THIS PHYSICS FOR ARDMS? WHY I ASK IS THAT I TOOK THE ARDMS
      PHYSICS
      > LAST SEPTEMBER AND MISSED IT BY 2 POINTS. AND ONCE BEFORE THAT AND
      MISSED IT
      > BY 6 POINTS. IAM VERY DISCOURGED.... ANY SUGGESTIONS??? ANOTHER
      QUESTION I
      > HAVE IS, HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT YOU CAN ONLY REPEAT ARDMS PHYCICS 3
      > TIMES????? IF SO IAM IN TROUBLE.
      >
      > THANKS, BRENDA
      > >From: Richard S Jachimowicz <seniorecho@s...>
      > >To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: Re: [echocardiography] Re: CCI vs ARDCS
      > >Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:02:41 -0800 (PST)
      > >
      > >I nearly "ACED" the physics exams twice ( Echo then Vascular)
      Back to back
      > >years. I studied Edelmans quizes at the end of each chapter and
      in the back
      > >part of the book. They were fill in the blank and multiple
      choice. I got to
      > >where I knew thw answer without the need for the choices.I did
      most of my
      > >studies during my 45 minute commute to work every day,Good Luck
      > >
      > >simplel@a... wrote:
      > >I am a sonographer registered with the ARDMS ob. adult echo, &
      peds echo.
      > >First since 1978, over the past two years I have attempted the
      RVT, the
      > >vascular physics has killed
      > >me after attending esp and pegusus courses on my own, after 3
      tries of the
      > >vascular physics and missing the technology by one I was very
      discouraged
      > >Today I passed the CCI, I was able to challenge the physics for
      a fee but
      > >I passed the technology.
      > >
      > >Having taken both exams I felt both were equally
      difficult.......... Good
      > >luck in either registry
      > >

      > >Sharon Wertz, RTR, RDMS, RDCS, RVS

      Service.

    • hairfree@juno.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 31, 2005
        The best place to get a good answer is from ARDMS -- they set their rules
        as to how many times, etc.

        Judith

        On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:53:25 -0500 "Brenda King"
        <bkbroiler40@...> writes:

        > RICHARD,
        > FIRST OF ALL, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
        > SECOND OF ALL, HOW LONG AGO WAS THIS ACCOMPLISHMENT.
        > ITS
        > INTERESTING TO HEAR THAT EDELMAN'S HELPED. WHERE DID YOU GET SUCH
        > THINGS?
        > AND WAS THIS PHYSICS FOR ARDMS? WHY I ASK IS THAT I TOOK THE ARDMS
        > PHYSICS
        > LAST SEPTEMBER AND MISSED IT BY 2 POINTS. AND ONCE BEFORE THAT AND
        > MISSED IT
        > BY 6 POINTS. IAM VERY DISCOURGED.... ANY SUGGESTIONS??? ANOTHER
        > QUESTION I
        > HAVE IS, HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT YOU CAN ONLY REPEAT ARDMS PHYCICS 3
        > TIMES????? IF SO IAM IN TROUBLE.
        >
        > THANKS, BRENDA
        > >From: Richard S Jachimowicz <seniorecho@...>
        > >To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: Re: [echocardiography] Re: CCI vs ARDCS
        > >Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:02:41 -0800 (PST)
        > >
        > >I nearly "ACED" the physics exams twice ( Echo then Vascular) Back
        > to back
        > >years. I studied Edelmans quizes at the end of each chapter and in
        > the back
        > >part of the book. They were fill in the blank and multiple choice.
        > I got to
        > >where I knew thw answer without the need for the choices.I did most
        > of my
        > >studies during my 45 minute commute to work every day,Good Luck
        > >
        > >simplel@... wrote:
        > >I am a sonographer registered with the ARDMS ob. adult echo, & peds
        > echo.
        > >First since 1978, over the past two years I have attempted the
        > RVT, the
        > >vascular physics has killed
        > >me after attending esp and pegusus courses on my own, after 3
        > tries of the
        > >vascular physics and missing the technology by one I was very
        > discouraged
        > >Today I passed the CCI, I was able to challenge the physics for a
        > fee but
        > >I passed the technology.
        > >
        > >Having taken both exams I felt both were equally
        > difficult.......... Good
        > >luck in either registry
        > >

        > >Sharon Wertz, RTR, RDMS, RDCS, RVS

        > Service.

      • Clifford Thornton
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 31, 2005
          Brenda,

          Hi.  I am also currently pursuing the ARDMS Registry.  This past Saturday I sat for the echo part for the first time and unfortunately will have to sit for that again, but in the interim am considering taking a shot at the physics part, which I am hearing so often is quite a challenge.

          What is it exactly are you finding a major challenge/problem with the physics part, I mean is it the level of sophistication of the questions/complexity, the short amount of time to answer each question, the calculations, problems with the format of the exam, the breadth of physics subjects covered, the way in which questions are asked, or simply a combination of these things.

          Please advise, because I want to nail this on the first try if possible.  I guess Edelman is a good resource and I did pretty good on physics in school.  If you can give any insight into the physics part, I would appreciate it!

          Thanks,

          Cliff

          Brenda King <bkbroiler40@...> wrote:

          RICHARD,
          FIRST OF ALL, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
          SECOND OF ALL, HOW LONG AGO WAS THIS ACCOMPLISHMENT. ITS
          INTERESTING TO HEAR THAT EDELMAN'S HELPED. WHERE DID YOU GET SUCH THINGS?
          AND WAS THIS PHYSICS FOR ARDMS? WHY I ASK IS THAT I TOOK THE ARDMS PHYSICS
          LAST SEPTEMBER AND MISSED IT BY 2 POINTS. AND ONCE BEFORE THAT AND MISSED IT
          BY 6 POINTS. IAM VERY DISCOURGED.... ANY SUGGESTIONS??? ANOTHER QUESTION I
          HAVE IS, HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT YOU CAN ONLY REPEAT ARDMS PHYCICS 3
          TIMES????? IF SO IAM IN TROUBLE.

          THANKS, BRENDA
          >From: Richard S Jachimowicz
          >To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [echocardiography] Re: CCI vs ARDCS
          >Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:02:41 -0800 (PST)
          >
          >I nearly "ACED" the physics exams twice ( Echo then Vascular) Back to back
          >years. I studied Edelmans quizes at the end of each chapter and in the back
          >part of the book. They were fill in the blank and multiple choice. I got to
          >where I knew thw answer without the need for the choices.I did most of my
          >studies during my 45 minute commute to work every day,Good Luck
          >
          >simplel@... wrote:
          >I am a sonographer registered with the ARDMS ob. adult echo, & peds echo.
          >First since 1978, over the past two years I have attempted the RVT, the
          >vascular physics has killed
          >me after attending esp and pegusus courses on my own, after 3 tries of the
          >vascular physics and missing the technology by one I was very discouraged
          >Today I passed the CCI, I was able to challenge the physics for a fee but
          >I passed the technology.
          >
          >Having taken both exams I felt both were equally difficult.......... Good
          >luck in either registry
          >

          >Sharon Wertz, RTR, RDMS, RDCS, RVS

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Geoff G
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 31, 2005
            Try Pegasus Lectures (do a google search)....Frank Miele is great at teaching Ultrasound physics in more layman or tech terms. Sidney Edelman is good, but he is still a professor and teaches like a professor.

            Brenda King <bkbroiler40@...> wrote:

            RICHARD,
            FIRST OF ALL, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
            SECOND OF ALL, HOW LONG AGO WAS THIS ACCOMPLISHMENT. ITS
            INTERESTING TO HEAR THAT EDELMAN'S HELPED. WHERE DID YOU GET SUCH THINGS?
            AND WAS THIS PHYSICS FOR ARDMS? WHY I ASK IS THAT I TOOK THE ARDMS PHYSICS
            LAST SEPTEMBER AND MISSED IT BY 2 POINTS. AND ONCE BEFORE THAT AND MISSED IT
            BY 6 POINTS. IAM VERY DISCOURGED.... ANY SUGGESTIONS??? ANOTHER QUESTION I
            HAVE IS, HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT YOU CAN ONLY REPEAT ARDMS PHYCICS 3
            TIMES????? IF SO IAM IN TROUBLE.

            THANKS, BRENDA
            >From: Richard S Jachimowicz
            >To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [echocardiography] Re: CCI vs ARDCS
            >Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:02:41 -0800 (PST)
            >
            >I nearly "ACED" the physics exams twice ( Echo then Vascular) Back to back
            >years. I studied Edelmans quizes at the end of each chapter and in the back
            >part of the book. They were fill in the blank and multiple choice. I got to
            >where I knew thw answer without the need for the choices.I did most of my
            >studies during my 45 minute commute to work every day,Good Luck
            >
            >simplel@... wrote:
            >I am a sonographer registered with the ARDMS ob. adult echo, & peds echo.
            >First since 1978, over the past two years I have attempted the RVT, the
            >vascular physics has killed
            >me after attending esp and pegusus courses on my own, after 3 tries of the
            >vascular physics and missing the technology by one I was very discouraged
            >Today I passed the CCI, I was able to challenge the physics for a fee but
            >I passed the technology.
            >
            >Having taken both exams I felt both were equally difficult.......... Good
            >luck in either registry
            >

            >Sharon Wertz, RTR, RDMS, RDCS, RVS

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Richard S Jachimowicz
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 31, 2005
              Seems like ages ago Brenda 1991 and 1992. I also liked  Frederick Kremkaus Diagnostic Ultrasound  book and a great outline made bySDMS. Believe it or not the Hardrest test was the Adult Echo part. Good Luck Rich

              Brenda King <bkbroiler40@...> wrote:

              RICHARD,
              FIRST OF ALL, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
              SECOND OF ALL, HOW LONG AGO WAS THIS ACCOMPLISHMENT. ITS
              INTERESTING TO HEAR THAT EDELMAN'S HELPED. WHERE DID YOU GET SUCH THINGS?
              AND WAS THIS PHYSICS FOR ARDMS? WHY I ASK IS THAT I TOOK THE ARDMS PHYSICS
              LAST SEPTEMBER AND MISSED IT BY 2 POINTS. AND ONCE BEFORE THAT AND MISSED IT
              BY 6 POINTS. IAM VERY DISCOURGED.... ANY SUGGESTIONS??? ANOTHER QUESTION I
              HAVE IS, HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT YOU CAN ONLY REPEAT ARDMS PHYCICS 3
              TIMES????? IF SO IAM IN TROUBLE.

              THANKS, BRENDA
              >From: Richard S Jachimowicz
              >To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [echocardiography] Re: CCI vs ARDCS
              >Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:02:41 -0800 (PST)
              >
              >I nearly "ACED" the physics exams twice ( Echo then Vascular) Back to back
              >years. I studied Edelmans quizes at the end of each chapter and in the back
              >part of the book. They were fill in the blank and multiple choice. I got to
              >where I knew thw answer without the need for the choices.I did most of my
              >studies during my 45 minute commute to work every day,Good Luck
              >
              >simplel@... wrote:
              >I am a sonographer registered with the ARDMS ob. adult echo, & peds echo.
              >First since 1978, over the past two years I have attempted the RVT, the
              >vascular physics has killed
              >me after attending esp and pegusus courses on my own, after 3 tries of the
              >vascular physics and missing the technology by one I was very discouraged
              >Today I passed the CCI, I was able to challenge the physics for a fee but
              >I passed the technology.
              >
              >Having taken both exams I felt both were equally difficult.......... Good
              >luck in either registry
              >

              >Sharon Wertz, RTR, RDMS, RDCS, RVS

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • rani78266
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
                Cliff,
                I just the Pegasus lectures on Ultrasound Physics. Frank Meile is a
                really good teacher, because he makes you understand concepts, and
                how to build many formaulas from understanding one. The course is
                more expensive then Edelman, but he does offer a gurantee. If you
                don't pass it the first time you can take his class for free again.
                His classes are also small (like about 50 people) unlike Edleman(250-
                300 people). They are also 4-1/2 days long, so that you are not just
                taking a crash course in 2 days like Edelman. I have taken both
                classes and I learned more from Frank Meile than any other class or
                book.
                Swati
                His website is www.pegasuslectures.com

                --- In echocardiography@yahoogroups.com, Clifford Thornton

              • James Bodie
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
                  I second that, see Frank.  He is incredible.
                  Jamie Bodie
                  Try Pegasus Lectures (do a google search)....Frank Miele is great at teaching Ultrasound physics in more layman or tech terms. Sidney Edelman is good, but he is still a professor and teaches like a professor.

                  Brenda King <bkbroiler40@...> wrote:

                  RICHARD,
                  FIRST OF ALL, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
                  SECOND OF ALL, HOW LONG AGO WAS THIS ACCOMPLISHMENT. ITS
                  INTERESTING TO HEAR THAT EDELMAN'S HELPED. WHERE DID YOU GET SUCH THINGS?
                  AND WAS THIS PHYSICS FOR ARDMS? WHY I ASK IS THAT I TOOK THE ARDMS PHYSICS
                  LAST SEPTEMBER AND MISSED IT BY 2 POINTS. AND ONCE BEFORE THAT AND MISSED IT
                  BY 6 POINTS. IAM VERY DISCOURGED.... ANY SUGGESTIONS??? ANOTHER QUESTION I
                  HAVE IS, HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT YOU CAN ONLY REPEAT ARDMS PHYCICS 3
                  TIMES????? IF SO IAM IN TROUBLE.

                  THANKS, BRENDA
                  >From: Richard S Jachimowicz
                  >To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [echocardiography] Re: CCI vs ARDCS
                  >Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:02:41 -0800 (PST)
                  >
                  >I nearly "ACED" the physics exams twice ( Echo then V ascular) Back to back
                  >years. I studied Edelmans quizes at the end of each chapter and in the back
                  >part of the book. They were fill in the blank and multiple choice. I got to
                  >where I knew thw answer without the need for the choices.I did most of my
                  >studies during my 45 minute commute to work every day,Good Luck
                  >
                  >simplel@... wrote:
                  >I am a sonographer registered with the ARDMS ob. adult echo, & peds echo.
                  >First since 1978, over the past two years I have attempted the RVT, the
                  >vascular physics has killed
                  >me after attending esp and pegusus courses on my own, after 3 tries of the
                  >vascular physics and missing the technology by one I was very discouraged
                  >Today I passed the CCI, I was able to challenge the physics for a fee but
                  >I passed the technology.
                  >
                  >Having taken both exams I felt both were equally difficult.......... Good
                  >luck in either registry
                  >

                  >Sharon Wertz, RTR, RDMS, RDCS, RVS

                  <*> Your use of Y ahoo! Groups is subject to:
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • Brenda King
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 30, 2005
                    Cliff,

                    I would have to say its a combination, Nerves comes into play also. Test
                    taking is not my favorite thing and i never had physics in school. Iam also
                    self teaching with the help of Edlelman's review book. I hope to be the
                    first in our lab to become registered. We do have a traveling sonographer
                    but i hardly see him for questions and answers. I too took the adult echo
                    two times but passed with a smile second time around. I have to admit i got
                    discouraged after missing the last phyics exam by two. I took the physics
                    exam in September 04 and just recently picked up the book again to study.
                    Edlelman has been a big help for someone who never had physics before.

                    GOOD LUCK

                    Brenda

                  • James Bodie
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 31, 2005
                      Go to the PEGASUS lecture series on physics. Frank makes things so easy to
                      understand. I went just for a review and to get my CMEs for last year. It
                      was excellent. If you were close and you attend this lecture series I would
                      be willing to bet money that you WILL pass the next time you sit for the
                      exam. I promise you will not leave thinking it was a waste of time or
                      money.

                      No I don't work for them, nor am I attached with their organization in any
                      way. I just know a good instructor when I see one. Seven years of college
                      and two degrees and Frank may be the best instructor I have ever seen. He
                      is definitely one of the top two.

                      Jamie Bodie BS, AS, RCS

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 31, 2005
                        I have to agree to agree with Jamie. I too just took the Pegasus
                        Lectures on Physics and I understand it so much better he takes the
                        time to help you understand the concepts. This way it will stay with
                        me and I will actually use it in my clinical Practice. I took
                        Edleman also, although he is a great speaker, he class is more
                        geared towards memorizing then understanding. He is also just a
                        review class if you already understand physics. Pegasus Lectures are
                        more expesive and longer than Edelman, but the time and money are
                        totally worth it.
                        Swati

                        --- In echocardiography@yahoogroups.com, "James Bodie" <jbodie@s...>

                      • cvimage@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 1, 2005
                          To everyone taking the physics (and other specialty exams) I have one bit of advice.  The key to passing the exams is "quality" not "quantity".  The one thing that I see most of those who fail the exams doing is trying to gather and study all the material that they can get their hands on.  I can tell you from my own personal experience, and relate the experience of those whom I have proctored, that you should use the KISS method.  Keep it simple ______! Go to ONE good review course and get ONE good review book from someone who has a good track record on review courses.  From what I have seen Pegasus Lectures is good.  I personally recommend Edleman because I know his material and he approaches physics very practically.  Additionally, I would recommend Keith Mauney Associates (KMA Training Theatre) who is also very practical.  Use the review book from the review course.  I recommend that you use NOTHING ELSE.  It's better to know what you know than to have read a multitude of books, articles, reviews, flash cards, and whatever, and not retain specific information that will definately be on the exam.  The three that I mentioned above spend a lot of resources preparing the materials to make it easy for you to pass the exam.  Don't make it hard on yourself by thinking you need to know more than they will give you.  You don't.  For those of you who take my advice, congratulations.  For those of you who don't, good luck!

                          Dwight Michael, RDCS, RVT

                          _________________________________________________________________ Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/echocardiography/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: echocardiography-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/