Re: [echocardiography] GE VIVID 7

  • muniza yousuf
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 30, 2004

      Hi All,

      This is Muniza Yousuf, Sonographer at The Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi, Pakistan.

      Will it be possible for u to send me the format of Echo Work Sheet and Echo Report , as we are planning to redesign ourformats according to the International Standards.

      Secondly, can anybody help me in identifying anyweb site that allows me to introduce / or to paste the Interseting ECho images of our pts?

      I also want the whole protocol to perform TDI , including the scale and framerate settings, as we are going to start performing TDI .

      Regards

      Muniza

      >From: Gerson Lichtenberg <gersonsl@...>
      >To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [echocardiography] GE VIVID 7
      >Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:08:15 -0800 (PST)
      >

      >As a long time clinician (as well as a former
      >salesperson), Wayne, I agree one hundred percent! For
      >specific customer needs, sometimes one machine has a
      >particular advantage or disadvantage, but there is no
      >universally 'best' machine.
      >
      >Gerson Lichtenberg, RDCS, APS
      >Echocardiography
      >Mt. Sinai Hospital
      >Chicago, Illinois
      >
      >--- Wayne Moore <gwm@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi All, the issue of which echo system is best is
      > > always an interesting topic for several reasons: (1)
      > > there exists no industry wide agreed to imaging and
      > > Doppler performance parameters against which to
      > > measure "best". Therefore discussions concerning
      > > which echo system is "best" from a clinical
      > > perspective must, by definition, be subjective in
      > > nature rather than objective. (2) There are no
      > > peer-reviewed clinical papers suggesting that if you
      > > don't use system "A", to the exclusion of all
      > > others, you will miss disease. And (3) The core
      > > architectual design differences between modern
      > > "high-end" echo systems (especially those with
      > > digital beamformers) are not that significant as
      > > they relate to basic imaging and Doppler
      > > performance. In our independent acoustic evaluation
      > > laboratory we look at modern ultrasound systems all
      > > the time as part of our work within the FDA 510(k)
      > > process and IEC601 regulations. What we do find is
      > > that each high-end system has enough operator
      > > control over pre and post-processing algorithms for
      > > imaging and as well for color Doppler presentations,
      > > that most systems can be adjusted to make the 2D
      > > images look very similar in gray scale texture to
      > > one another, and that color flow maps, pixel size,
      > > etc, can also be made to look very similar. For all
      > > the reasons above, and more, it is my view that you
      > > still need to have several different manufacturers
      > > bring their systems into your facility for a demo -
      > > it is especially useful to have two of them in at a
      > > time using the same patient on both systems, and
      > > just see what you like (if one refuses to do a
      > > side-by-side demo it has been my experience that
      > > they may be hiding something). Also very important
      > > is system ease of use, DICOM issues, cost, service
      > > contract costs, software stability, probe
      > > ergonomics, upgrade history, etc. Anyway that's my 2
      > > cents on the subject.
      > >
      > > G. Wayne Moore,BSEE,MA
      > > Sonora Medical Systems, Inc.
      > > www.4sonora.com

      Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger Download today it's FREE!
    • Chris Walker
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 31, 2004
        Group,

        OK, here's another two cents worth of observation, issues, predictions and a
        solution...

        I can't remember a time in the history of echocardiography where the
        performance of competing systems was so keen.

        The GE ViVid 7 demonstrates superb images and its introduction of Strain
        Analysis gets my vote for most outstanding new clinical mode.

        I must also note that Siemens continues Acuson's upgrade tradition
        demonstrated by the ongoing improvements to the Sequoia's imaging and
        functionality.

        The years big story appears to be Philips IE33 release presenting
        outstanding 2D and volume 3D imaging. The IE33 is striking in appearance
        and ergonomically advanced. In the tradition of HP who first migrated the
        Sonos 1000 scanner assembly to the 500K cart 1990... then transferred the
        same Sonos 1000 scanner to the Sonos 2000 cart in 1995... soon after
        introduced the Sonos 5500 harmonic scanner to the Sonos 2000 cart in 1997...
        has now preserved the Sonos 5500's controller layout and touch screen
        software maps featured on the new IE33. As a result the Sonos 2000/5500
        installed base will find IE33 adoption simple.

        The market now has 3 great echocardiography platforms. Each vendor is now
        introducing volume 3D, Strain Analysis and DICOM SR (more on this later)

        At these echo platforms compete echo practices and hospitals are budgeting
        for PACS. Market researchers predicts 35-50% of the market will adopt PACS
        over the next 1-2 years. All new echo platforms feature DICOM connectivity
        as well as media storage (CD/DVD). Panasonic and Sony have both built their
        last run of VCRs. They're now offering DVD recorders (MPEG2 format).

        PACS support instant access to studies and improved diagnostics resulting
        from multi-modality viewing and serial study comparison. An added benefit
        is web viewing/reporting from any internet connected PC. The web's mobility
        will expedite reports to referring physicians and improve reader life styles
        by allowing them to work from home, coffee shop wireless environments,
        resorts hotel rooms or even yachts with a satellite link.

        Even in this forum PACS users speak highly of their experience. The only
        negative I've heard of is inconsistent report data transfer from competing
        image platforms to their PACS network. Till now echo vendors have been
        allowed to private tag echo report data. However, the 2005 DICOM standard
        called DICOM SR (Supplement 72) requires all vendors to DICOM tag report
        data. Now, just as images cross vendor platforms so will new system's
        report data if the installed PACS is also DICOM SR conformant.

        For the next two years there is going to be confusion and tough financial
        decisions associated with PACS implementation. Here are the issues:

        - Do we replace our installed echo systems with new DICOM SR echo systems?

        - Do we upgrade installed echo systems to be DICOM network compatible?

        - Do echo system upgrades include DICOM SR?

        - Do we replace our installed PACS with a DICOM SR PACS?

        - Do we upgrade our installed PACS to be DICOM SR capable?

        The Philip's installed base is the best example of users facing these
        dilemmas. Somewhere between 10 and 15 thousand Philip's Sonos 5500 users
        are now facing these tough decisions. The Sonos 5500 features a 5.25" MOD
        (DSR) storage but requires an upgrade to their "IDI node" (DICOM translator)
        before you can direct connect to a PACS work station or network. So, what
        does this installed base do? Trade-in their Sonos 5500 for an IE33, ViVid 7
        or Sequoia... or add-on IDI nodes?

        The list price of the IDI node varies depending on the Sonos 5500 revision
        level with an average retail price range of $9-25,000. The IDI node has
        become a Philips negotiating tool used to leverage IE33 trade-ins and/or
        Excelera Network sales.

        Know this... should users add-on the IDI node to their Sonos 5500s, the
        upgrade will be accompanied by an unfriendly Rev D software imposing
        password access to service diagnostics and disabling L5040/7540 vascular and
        Omni I TE probes. Therefore, some vascular and TE service providers would
        have to re-invest in Philips 113L vascular and Omni III TE probes.
        Moreover, users who add-on the IDI node will fall prey to a service driven
        strategy intent on forcing IE33 trade-ups driven more by cost of upkeep
        versus clinical reasons.

        Where there's a big company strategy controlling big money there's a small
        company solution intent on exploiting the issues. For example, three years
        ago my firm became involved with the development of a PACS with a focus on
        solutions for these Sonos 5500 issues. Within the next year you will here a
        lot about ComPACS [ www.ComPACS.com ]. ComPACS is a modality and vendor
        impartial PACS that reads all DICOM images including Cath, IVUS, Nuclear, MR
        and CT.

        ComPACS is cost effective running on PCs with a solution for the expensive
        and unfriendly Sonos 5500 IDI node upgrade. In this regard, ComPACS
        conducts extremely efficient MOD file transfer of a day's studies to ComPACS
        work station or network archive, simultaneously performing the following
        tasks with no user command requirement(s) other than MOD insertion:

        - Automatically detects 5.25" MOD insertion (Also detects CD & DVD
        insertions)

        - Translates Sonos 5500 native TIFF images to DICOM format on-the-fly

        - Creates a DICOM directory for immediate viewing

        - Inserts DICOM translated images and Sonos report data into ComPACS
        database

        Note: ComPACS performs this multi-task process on 9 GB of studies in
        approximately 15 seconds. The MOD is then re-usable.

        Not even Philip's Excelera does this. Other vendors avoid promoting
        removable media file transfer ("Sneaker Net")... ComPACS embraces it.

        The immediate benefits of this development to Sonos 5500 users include:

        - Zero cost to render Sonos 5500s DICOM network compatible

        - Preservation of open access to onboard service diagnostics

        - Continued use of L5040/L7540 and Omni I TE probes

        - Conservation and accumulation of funds for IE33, ViVid 7 or Sequoia
        purchases

        ComPACS also reads MPEG2 from Panasonics new LQ800 DVD recorder. ComPACS
        again automatically detects media insertion and then instantly populates the
        Viewer with MPEG2 "Chapters" thumbs featuring a quick trim function in
        support of JPEG DICOM loop translation for archive. This serves users who
        are uncomfortable viewing finite numbered heart beats per loop, preserving
        the VCR use model with the added benefit of audio Doppler and voice
        monitoring not currently supported by within the DICOM standard. The
        Panasonic LQ800 easily retrofits VCRs using the same video/audio
        inputs/outputs and system controller interface. Since the Philips-ATL HDI
        only network communicates and stores to MOD in frames versus loops, this is
        an ideal solution complementing ComPACS novel support of the Sonos DSR to
        network DICOM transfer.

        Another novel and most important feature to echocardiography users is
        ComPACS' conformant DICOM SR database (pursuant to the echocardiography
        standard Supplement 72). ComPACS DICOM SR compatibility with Philip's new
        IE33 and GE's latest ViVid 7 (BT 04) has been confirmed. Note: We have not
        had an opportunity to confirm that Sequoia is DICOM SR conformant or to
        verify ComPACS compatibility.

        Moreover, ComPACS SR database manages all non-DICOM SR installed base via
        proprietary OCR which scans report screen captures generated from Philips-HP
        (Sonos & Envisor) and Siemens-Acuson lines (Sequoia, Aspen, G70 & Cypress).
        The only exception being that ComPACS maps report data to its SR database
        from GE ViVid text (.rtf) exports. Therefore, ComPACS SR database it vendor
        impartial and populates its customized report(s) with measurements and
        computations from major vendor's installed base as well as new DICOM SR
        platforms.

        ComPACS runs within Microsoft Explorer exploiting all its capabilities
        including web viewing and reporting developments. From the diagnostic work
        flow perspective ComPACS features menu selected diagnostics text that insert
        into ComPACS customizable report template. Default text follows ASE
        recommendations and is user modifiable. The report generator can also be
        user modified to a basic or comprehensive look. Likewise, the report
        outputs are user modifiable. The diagnostic menu text, report generator and
        report outputs can be customized for multiple reader profiles.

        Finally, ComPACS DICOM Images can be converted to AVI, BMP, JPEG, GIF, TIFF
        and PNG from the Viewer. DICOM Reports can be output in multiple formats
        including XML, PDF, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, HTML. as well as Lotus
        Domino or Microsoft Outlook email directly from its Report Generator. This
        provides seamless methods for migrating reports to print, e-mail or
        information systems including HIS/RIS/CIS and EMRs. In addition, ComPACS
        manages FTPs and exports to media embedding a "Lite" version of ComPACS
        viewer so recipients can read and print reports without owning a ComPACS
        license.

        Echocardiography is changing rapidly presenting challenging and exciting
        times. You have many great choices in both echo platforms and PACS
        solutions... enjoy.

        Chris Walker, CVS President

        (888) 287-8700, X11

        > As a long time clinician (as well as a former
        > salesperson), Wayne, I agree one hundred percent! For
        > specific customer needs, sometimes one machine has a
        > particular advantage or disadvantage, but there is no
        > universally 'best' machine.
        >
        > Gerson Lichtenberg, RDCS, APS
        > Echocardiography
        > Mt. Sinai Hospital
        > Chicago, Illinois
        >
        > --- Wayne Moore <gwm@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Hi All, the issue of which echo system is best is
        >> always an interesting topic for several reasons: (1)
        >> there exists no industry wide agreed to imaging and
        >> Doppler performance parameters against which to
        >> measure "best". Therefore discussions concerning
        >> which echo system is "best" from a clinical
        >> perspective must, by definition, be subjective in
        >> nature rather than objective. (2) There are no
        >> peer-reviewed clinical papers suggesting that if you
        >> don't use system "A", to the exclusion of all
        >> others, you will miss disease. And (3) The core
        >> architectual design differences between modern
        >> "high-end" echo systems (especially those with
        >> digital beamformers) are not that significant as
        >> they relate to basic imaging and Doppler
        >> performance. In our independent acoustic evaluation
        >> laboratory we look at modern ultrasound systems all
        >> the time as part of our work within the FDA 510(k)
        >> process and IEC601 regulations. What we do find is
        >> that each high-end system has enough operator
        >> control over pre and post-processing algorithms for
        >> imaging and as well for color Doppler presentations,
        >> that most systems can be adjusted to make the 2D
        >> images look very similar in gray scale texture to
        >> one another, and that color flow maps, pixel size,
        >> etc, can also be made to look very similar. For all
        >> the reasons above, and more, it is my view that you
        >> still need to have several different manufacturers
        >> bring their systems into your facility for a demo -
        >> it is especially useful to have two of them in at a
        >> time using the same patient on both systems, and
        >> just see what you like (if one refuses to do a
        >> side-by-side demo it has been my experience that
        >> they may be hiding something). Also very important
        >> is system ease of use, DICOM issues, cost, service
        >> contract costs, software stability, probe
        >> ergonomics, upgrade history, etc. Anyway that's my 2
        >> cents on the subject.
        >>
        >> G. Wayne Moore,BSEE,MA
        >> Sonora Medical Systems, Inc.
        >> www.4sonora.com

      • B S
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 4, 2005
          the 5500 at rev D has a "trickle" mode - i.e., send as
          you go

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        • Gerald Hinderliter
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 7, 2005

            To the group;
             Hypothetical situation many may have been in or are facing.

               The Cath lab needs to expand so the Non-Invasive lab needs to relocate. The area promised was nice, but is slowly being diminished at each meeting. For a lab of 6 Technologists seeing a volume load they do not need to wind up with less space or even space, but adequate space, with room to grow. So, labs of this stature please respond to what you would consider an appropriate proposal. And what if it would then be turned into a cardiovascular lab what changes are needed that would be unique to that environment?
                Thank you all in advance
          • Hogan, Candy
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 10, 2005
              Make sure that your echo bed is close to your treadmill for Stress Echos.  They should be side by side so you need enough room on one wall for the treadmill and next to that is the echo bed and next to that is your Echo cart.  I would demand that which gives you a big area.  You know the reason why patients need to stop, drop and roll!! I have gone to too many places and have seen the beds across the room and with Stress Echo, you have lost valuable time.
              Candy Hogan, RDCS
              Cardiology/Echocardiography/EEG Supervisor
              6001 Norris Canyon Rd.
              San Ramon, CA  94538
              925-275-8846 Direct line
              925-275-8287 Office
              925-275-8397 Fax
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 5, 2006
                We have two GE Vivid 7's, two Acuson/Siemens Sequoyas and three
                Phillips/HP 5500's and I use nothing but the GE Vivid 7 for adult echo.

                Unfortunately we don't have any GE TEE probes. Our Vivid 7's are
                still the first generation (B02)and do not do pediatric echo as the HP
                5500's (especially color Doppler) and seem to lose some quality when
                veiwed in Camtronics so to keep our pediatric cardiologist happy I
                have to switch to the HP for pediatric echos.

                Our local applications rep assures me that the newer OS have better
                pediatric applications and work better with Camtronics so I am hoping
                we can get an update soon.

                Th Vivid 7's are extremely user friendly, adaptable and effecient.