[echocardiography] Re: Operation hrs for echo labs and call-back

  • NScott2001@cs.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 1999
      We have a tech on site 365 days a year.
      Monday -Friday I show up by 7:00am. Other techs begin by 7:30. As the lead
      sonographer, I'm on M-F 8hrs/day. The others work 4x10hrs.
      We will have at least one stay until at least 5:30pm.
      Weekends and holidays will have one person covering the department from 7:30
      until at least 4, depending on the workload.

      One big difference is that we're responsible for plenty of things other than
      just echos. Treadmills, holters, and the processing of EKG's are also our
      responsibility.

      We are an urban hospital of 365 beds..
      -- Nick Scott RDCS
    • Petros Nihoyannopoulos
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 1999
        >At our institution, the normal working hours are from 8:30 AM to 7:00 PM. At
        >any oyher time we are on call 24 hours a day. There are three doctors at the
        >Echo lab (who also do all the imaging), and each one is on-call for one week
        >at a time. By the way, I have been working for 15 years, performing an
        >average of 10-15 (at times 20) echoes a day, and to this day, have had no
        >physical problem.
        >

        >Michael Roy Smith, M.D.

        I agree! The whole issue of physical problems doing echoes is overstated! I
        have 4 full time technicians in my lab doing echoes for 15-20 years from
        the left side the arm over the patient and none had any problems! I suppose
        is fashionable now to blame everybody else but ourselves!

        Petros Nihoyannopoulos MD FACC FESC
        Reader & Consultant Cardiologist
        Imperial College School of Medicine
        National Heart & Lung Institute
        Hammersmith Hospital
        Du Cane Road, London W12 0NN
        Tel: +44(0)181-383 3948 (sec)
        +44(0)181-383 38156 (office)
        Fax: +44(0)181-740 8373
        e-mail: petros@...

        http://www.escardio.org/society/wg/wg7.htm
      • Petros Nihoyannopoulos
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 1999
          >>At our institution, the normal working hours are from 8:30 AM to 7:00 PM. At
          >>any oyher time we are on call 24 hours a day. There are three doctors at the
          >>Echo lab (who also do all the imaging), and each one is on-call for one week
          >>at a time. By the way, I have been working for 15 years, performing an
          >>average of 10-15 (at times 20) echoes a day, and to this day, have had no
          >>physical problem.
          >>

          >>Michael Roy Smith, M.D.

          Working ours fdaily from 9am to 5 am. Each technician has 1 hour per echo
          and report. Average numbers/day/technician =6.
          >>> Does the hospital require you to be on call-back when ther are no
          >>>procedures?
          No. Emergency echoes are performed by the on-call registrar/fellow who is
          also trained in echo. He covers also for transoesophageal echoes.

          >>> once again the cath lab director has another money saving idea to cut
          >>>hours. My concern is if we are asked to be on-call after 1-2 pm, how
          >>>many times could i be called back for procedure(s) when I have a 20
          >>>minute ride to and from the hospital. I feel we should have a dedicated
          >>>person on-site until 3-4pm, to avoid the unecessary traveling. Your
          >>>thoughts are appreciated!
          If you are not paid for overtime don't do it!

          I hope the above helps!

          PETROS